Does anyone use Adobe's Portfolio?

I have been trying to decide whether to use the Adobe Portfolio that comes with the Photography subscription.  I know it never hurts to have your images out there on as many platforms as possible, but wonder if it is worth the time an effort. I have a website at the moment (I use Piwigo) but am always considering upgrading to something like Zenfolio, etc.

Anyone using the Adobe Portfolio, and if so, what do you think of it?

Jill

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I have been trying to decide whether to use the Adobe Portfolio that comes with the Photography subscription.  I know it never hurts to have your images out there on as many platforms as possible, but wonder if it is worth the time an effort. I have a website at the moment (I use Piwigo) but am always considering upgrading to something like Zenfolio, etc.

Jill

I signed up with Zenfolio just before Xmas. Ive made a start on a website, and so far am impressed with the flexibility of what it can do. I can give you a code for a 10% discount if you decide to go with it. 

17 minutes ago, Sally said:

I signed up with Zenfolio just before Xmas. Ive made a start on a website, and so far am impressed with the flexibility of what it can do. I can give you a code for a 10% discount if you decide to go with it. 

Not going back with Zenfolio for the time being.  My port is small and right now happy with my Piwigo site (just have to work more on it).

Just wondering since the Adobe Portfolio is free to subscribers if anyone using it feels its worth the time and effort for uploading, etc.

Jill

On my 3rd year with Zenfolio and for delivering to clients it is wonderful.  I can shoot a corporate job post the

previews and once the client approves the previews, I send them an invoice  for payment via PayPal and have

money in the bank within 24 hours.  BTW PayPal takes a lower percentage than anyone I can find and it is 100%

secure, I have a business account.  Also I do not send the invoice via PayPal.

The upside to digital photography......

I have not looked at Adobe Portfolio,  but I do not want pictures floating around on the web.

Edited by Chuck Nacke

9 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

Start to 'play' with it before Christmas - need to spend a bit more time before I can make an informed decision, but like what I see so far

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matt Limb said:

Start to 'play' with it before Christmas - need to spend a bit more time before I can make an informed decision, but like what I see so far

Did you figure out how to watermark the images?

Jill

On 17/01/2018 at 22:51, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

Jill, How do you find Piwigo and why would you want to migrate to Zenfolio? I was on Photoshelter, and found it very easy to use, but, even though I was on the lowest priced option, I didn't find that it drove up sales to any extent. Social media (Twitter/Instagram) seem to work better for me, I think!

17 minutes ago, Jansos said:

Jill, How do you find Piwigo and why would you want to migrate to Zenfolio? I was on Photoshelter, and found it very easy to use, but, even though I was on the lowest priced option, I didn't find that it drove up sales to any extent. Social media (Twitter/Instagram) seem to work better for me, I think!

I really like Piwigo.  It only has a Paypal purchase option for images, but can probably work some RM or RF licenses with it.  Been so busy with the dog business that I'm afraid I've been ignoring my photo site.  Just noticed that for some reason my watermark isn't going on my images, have to fix that.

You can check it out here:    http://jkmorganphotography.com

JIll

Edited by Jill Morgan

4 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Did you figure out how to watermark the images?

Jill

Discovered you cannot add a watermark to your images.  So much for Adobe Portfolio.  

Thought about making a copy of each image and adding a watermark before uploading, but waaaaay to much work.

Jill

6 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Discovered you cannot add a watermark to your images.  So much for Adobe Portfolio.  

Thought about making a copy of each image and adding a watermark before uploading, but waaaaay to much work.

Jill

It's not difficult in Photoshop. Just create a transparent layer and add some text. Play with opacity until you get it right. You could create an action to automate. Worth doing for learning alone I think. 

I know you don't use Lightroom but it is really simple to do there once set up. You can export a copy of any image at any size you want with watermark with one click. 

Edited by MDM

7 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

I do not see that as 'function' of this software

Watermarking is easy to do in LightRoom - I have a number of watermarks and pre-sets ready to use as required - and I see using LR as a way of preparing images to use in Portflio as I would for any other image use

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

I think Alamy is missing a trick here in not offering Cloud storage, personalised websites, etc.

They are not in that business - I always feel Alamy do what they are good at and continually develop in that sector 

Plenty out there offering what you ask for

5 hours ago, MDM said:

It's not difficult in Photoshop. Just create a transparent layer and add some text. Play with opacity until you get it right. You could create an action to automate. Worth doing for learning alone I think. 

I know you don't use Lightroom but it is really simple to do there once set up. You can export a copy of any image at any size you want with watermark with one click. 

I already do a watermark in PS that is used on my Piwigo site.  But it is stored on the site and is added to any image I upload.  I don't have to put it on the image itself.

Someday I may learn LR.  Right now no need for it.  ACR offers the same editing tools and I have my own cataloging system.  I prefer Bridge for keywording as it uploads in the order they are added as opposed to LR which alphabetizes them.  Perhaps the day will come when I have so many images I will need LR to help me catalog everything.

Jill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

I already do a watermark in PS that is used on my Piwigo site.  But it is stored on the site and is added to any image I upload.  I don't have to put it on the image itself.

Someday I may learn LR.  Right now no need for it.  ACR offers the same editing tools and I have my own cataloging system.  I prefer Bridge for keywording as it uploads in the order they are added as opposed to LR which alphabetizes them.  Perhaps the day will come when I have so many images I will need LR to help me catalog everything.

Jill

I know from previous threads that you are an ACR/Photosop user but one thing ACR doesn't do that Lightroom does is allow you to export (save) files with watermarks embedded. That is why I mentioned it. It is actually really easy. Even if you don't want to use LR for image processing all you would need to do is import your JPEGs or TIFFs or whatever format  you save your images after raw conversion into a new catalog and re-export with a watermark. No harm would come to the originals by importing into a LR catalog.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

I know from previous threads that you are an ACR/Photosop user but one thing ACR doesn't do that Lightroom does is allow you to export (save) files with watermarks embedded. That is why I mentioned it. It is actually really easy. Even if you don't want to use LR for image processing all you would need to do is import your JPEGs or TIFFs or whatever format  you save your images after raw conversion into a new catalog and re-export with a watermark. No harm would come to the originals by importing into a LR catalog.

I may give it a whirl if I decide to spend some time on Adobe Portfolio.  I suppose a set of images pre-watermarked might come in handy in the future.

Right now I am trying to tackle the artist's side of PS, which is 5 times harder than the photography side.  Mostly tackling all the brush settings.  Lots of fun though.

Jill

If you were using Lightroom 6, it looks like you would be able to upload photos directly from Lightroom to Portfolio. Since I haven't explored this area, I don't know if you could upload in one process, but one alternative would be to export a group of watermarked images and then upload those.

As MDM said, watermarking in Lightroom is easy. Create a watermark and then click a box when you export. You can probably create a Watermark action in PhotoShop but this is one aspect where Lightroom really excels. 

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2016/11/publish-from-lightroom-web-to-adobe-portfolio.html

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

If you were using Lightroom 6, it looks like you would be able to upload photos directly from Lightroom to Portfolio. Since I haven't explored this area, I don't know if you could upload in one process, but one alternative would be to export a group of watermarked images and then upload those.

As MDM said, watermarking in Lightroom is easy. Create a watermark and then click a box when you export. You can probably create a Watermark action in PhotoShop but this is one aspect where Lightroom really excels. 

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2016/11/publish-from-lightroom-web-to-adobe-portfolio.html

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Jill

Hi Jill,

I use Adobe Portfolio for my website and am very happy with it. It was relatively easy to setup and is at no extra cost because they can host it for you. I have my own domain name so I pay for that. The nice thing is that it encourages you to put your images together as projects, so what I have done is make a little narrative to go along with each project. The templates are easy to use but if you want to get more sophisticated they have that capability. There are plenty of examples and good tutorials to get you going. I am about to make mine more spiffier in the next week or two. Also another super feature is the websites are designed to work well on phones, tablets and bigger screens.

Chris

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is kind of old, but if anybody is interested in using Adobe Portfolio I have updated my website, and it gives a pretty good example of a photography portfolio site using this "free" service. I am happy with it and it is very easy to add new content especially if you use Lightroom as a lot of people do. I used the Lukas template which I think was designed with photographers in mind. By the way it took me less than 30 min to switch templates from the old one I was using and to make the new customisations. I also easily switched domain names and there is a very good tutorial for setting up Adobe Portfolio to use your own domain.

Chris

http://cjpricephotography.com

Edited by Christopher Price
forgot to add this content

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread.

I was just wondering if i should be using this service offered by Adobe.

I might try now.

Any other Alamy photographers using it?

Have a good day,

Regis

On 19/01/2018 at 10:07, Matt Limb said:

It that not only by acquisition?

On 19/01/2018 at 10:02, geogphotos said:

A few years back you would have said that Adobe was not in the business of licensing stock photos.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adobe had its own stock business (midstock-ish) a few years back, but it didn't do very well and they closed it, then after several years, they acquired another agency and have been developing it.  https://www.siliconpublishing.com/blog/2015/06/adobe-stock-the-history

Edited by Cryptoprocta