How to travel light?

If you’re in a wilderness area and want to remember where you are or specific forest, just before shooting photos do a five to ten second video clip and speak any notes or reminders then you have a sound recording as a memo.

32 minutes ago, Normspics said:

If you’re in a wilderness area and want to remember where you are or specific forest, just before shooting photos do a five to ten second video clip and speak any notes or reminders then you have a sound recording as a memo.

I do this a lot but I use my iPhone rather than waste space on my camera memory card. Also if I remember I take a picture on the phone as well as this will grab the GPS coordinates. It is very easy to find the relevant videos and images as they will have the same capture time as my DSLR pics. I have a separate Lightroom catalog for all my iPhone videos and pics. However, if it was a real wilderness and I could not recharge batteries, I would be inclined to be very careful about making videos as they tend to be heavy on the batteries. 

48 minutes ago, Gryf said:

What about using GPS function in your camera instead of using your laptop mostly for key wording the location?

Yes it is a possibility. I've never used it so didn't think of it. Thank you for the suggestion.

52 minutes ago, MDM said:

However, if it was a real wilderness and I could not recharge batteries, I would be inclined to be very careful about making videos as they tend to be heavy on the batteries. 

Sometimes you can charge batteries using the vehicle's cigarette lighter. In fact on one safari in Botswana, the company had a bank of sockets presumably attached to the vehicle battery where we could recharge on the move (as it was a mobile camping trip).

36 minutes ago, Normspics said:

Lots of good suggestions here. I have definitely been under-using my camera capabilities. Thank you.

Just now, Cryptoprocta said:

Sometimes you can charge batteries using the vehicle's cigarette lighter. In fact on one safari in Botswana, the company had a bank of sockets presumably attached to the vehicle battery where we could recharge on the move (as it was a mobile camping trip).

I do two kinds of trips: those in my campervan for several months at a time, and those in remote wilderness with a local guide.

In my campervan, even when wild camping, recharging in not a problem. I have two massive house batteries and an inverter. I just need to be on the move every few days to recharge the house batteries. I also just invested in the latest technology of flexible foldable solar panels which I will be able to test in an upcoming trip to Cape York.

For remote area trips, sometimes lodges have solar energy but do not allow people to recharge anything. Sometimes, more rarely, there is no electricity at all. For those locations, I take 3 batteries for each camera (weigh a ton or two in luggage!) and I have to be parsimonious with what I shoot.

Gen

48 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Yes it is a possibility. I've never used it so didn't think of it. Thank you for the suggestion.

That's probably because the  D4 doesn't have GPS. ;-)

You could use a GPS logger app on your phone though.

wim

Just now, wiskerke said:

That's probably because the  D4 doesn't have GPS. ;-)

You could use a GPS logger app on your phone though.

wim

You had me rushing to my D4 manual Wim as I swore I vaguely remembered reading something about it.

True, it hasn't an in-built GPS but an optional GP-1 unit for Nikon cameras can be used. So I read.

Philippe (Arterra) suggested to use the comment field on the D4 which is not a bad idea. 

You won't believe me but... I don't use a cell phone. 70% deaf. Just don't tell anyone...

Gen

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

You had me rushing to my D4 manual Wim as I swore I vaguely remembered reading something about it.

True, it hasn't an in-built GPS but an optional GP-1 unit for Nikon cameras can be used. So I read.

Philippe (Arterra) suggested to use the comment field on the D4 which is not a bad idea. 

You won't believe me but... I don't use a cell phone. 70% deaf. Just don't tell anyone...

Gen

A smartphone is a  big relief for that! Many ways of communicating by typing  or sending images. Integration with modern hearing aids. -Nothing for my tinnitus yet. :-(

Then there's text to speech or the other way around for communicating with the pizza guy or the plumber. Google it.

Plus I use mine as a very smart remote with viewfinder for my camera.

And there's  Photographer's Ephemeris and PlanIt.

I was a late convert from a regular cell phone. I'm only on my second now. My wife is on her 5th at least I think.

wim

• 1 month later...

I think that the carry-on limits/allowances are a joke. I weigh 120kgs and my fare is the same as some tiny person – and yet we both have the same carry-on limit!

I just hope they don’t go the way of Tongan airlines where they charge depending on the persons actual weight :)

I have found Jetstar the easiest and Virgin the worst.

I have used Pelican roller cases buts that just a red flag to a bull. They stopped me everytime so I don’t use it anymore.

I too load up my jacket pockets with gear but – a person wearing a big coat in Darwin tropics attracts a lot of attention.

All of my mates just carry whatever they can and put the rest in checked baggage.

Last year I decided to bite the bullet and  put some gear on as checked baggage.

I bought a Think Tank case that holds a lot of gear. I then bought some of that ‘blue’ high density foam – cant think what its called but it’s the stuff they advertise by putting an egg between 2 sheets of the foam and flogging it with a hammer. The egg survived

So I made up an outer shell using the blue foam into which the think tank fits.

It survived 19 flights thru Canada. Even survived one flight where the top of my bag was completely  ripped off during baggage handling and left exposed to the rain. (even with the bag fully wrapped!)

I use 2 x 2Tb ext hard drives (one as backup that goes with me on board)

The final flight home Jetstar knocked back my carry-on bag and told me to lighten it. I put the bag on top of the counter and opened it and removed the body with 100-400 attached lens. I dropped my bottom lip and  said ‘there you go, that drops the weight a bit” she replied, “don’t worry, just be careful at the gate” and let me thru

9 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

you need your own private jet,  take as much luggage as you want :D

Working on it. A few more PU sales and I'll be there. And now, onto choosing the model...

Gen

Since someone resurrected this thread, here's my update on measures taken.

I have carefully read and weighed all the suggestions. Thank you all.

Camera

I bought a Nikon D500 as replacement back-up to my clapped up D2Xs.  Several advantages:

1. weight 860 gr

2. can share batteries with my D4 (one battery recharger gone, couple of spare batteries gone as they are shareable)

3. also crop sensor for my macro work, same as D2Xs

4. shares XQD card with D4

5. fully compatible with my ton of other Nikon equipment

--> Weight loss achieved on camera body, spare batteries and charger

Laptop

About to buy a light SDD notebook to replace my super heavy 15" high performing laptop.

Will be only used to download to a light hard drive and check on the screen that download worked. No Photoshop loaded.

--> Weight loss achieved on laptop itself and its massive charger

Backup

About to buy x2 small hard drives

--> Weight loss achieved on previous nifty but heavy HD

I haven't calculated the total weight loss but it's the best I can do. 

If I take my 500mm lens, I guess I will still need my trusty multi-pocket jacket but there's no way round that.

Cheers everyone, you've been of great help!

Gen

5 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Camera

I bought a Nikon D500 as replacement back-up to my clapped up D2Xs.  Several advantages:

1. weight 860 gr

2. can share batteries with my D4 (one battery recharger gone, couple of spare batteries gone as they are shareable)

Laptop

About to buy a light SDD notebook to replace my super heavy 15" high performing laptop.

Will be only used to download to a light hard drive and check on the screen that download worked. No Photoshop loaded.

Backup

If I take my 500mm lens, I guess I will still need my trusty multi-pocket jacket but there's no way round that.

Gen

Looks good. All these chargers and cables can add a ton. Having as many USB chargers as possible helped me.

They're all after-market from Ebay. In-car charging is now much much easier. The cables are smaller and weigh less too.

SSD hard drives weigh almost nothing.

Smaller 13.3" laptops are just as capable of running Photoshop on the road as 15" ones. Both Win and Mac ones don't have to be more than 1 kg. Allowing for 200 or 300gr more can however mean a it's a much cheaper one. (Like with the Dell XPS vs Inspiron 13)

wim

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Camera

1. weight 860 gr

Laptop

Backup

Gen

Well, I'm pretty late to the party too.  I was going to chime in on going small & light without sacrificing much in image quality, (especially for editorial stock), and give @ReeRay a big +1 on the Olympus OMD E-M1 MkII and Olympus lenses. 

I'm getting older and needed something with in-body stabilization.  I read a lot of good things about the Olympus system but honestly, didn't believe it.  I bought one with the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens (24-80mm equiv).  I couldn't be happier.  Granted you will not get Nikon D4 or D810, D850 or even D750 IQ due to the micro 4/3rds sensor size but I am astonished at what I can get!!  The lenses are half what Nikon lenses are and are nice and small with excellent rendering.  How about a 600mm f2.8 (equiv) for your birding?  They've got it and it comes with excellent reviews.

I also own a Nikon D500.  It is a superb camera.  The problem I have with Nikon is they will not make new pro quality DX lenses.  I'm seriously considering selling it.

If you do, one day, decide, to go mirrorless for the smaller size, weight, and convenience, I would highly recommend looking at Olympus.  Just my 2¢.

Rick

36 minutes ago, Rick Lewis said:

If you do, one day, decide, to go mirrorless for the smaller size, weight, and convenience, I would highly recommend looking at Olympus.  Just my 2¢.

Rick

I might do that one day Rick, but for the moment, I'm too much of a Nikon girl. You wouldn't believe the amount of Nikon gear I have accumulated over the years.

I appreciate, and listen to, all suggestions.

Gen

I am a wildlife tog for my sins.

I have struggled with this issue for sometime but in the end decided that gear re-jigging was not the solution for me, personally - I did spend a lot of money trying though. I now just use two modes of travel - 1) a 4WD which I can literally get everything and anything into for my extended trips and 2) the national carrier for the country I live in.

I found that the national carrier (Thai Airways in my case) whilst being more expensive are always very understanding and accommodating if I let them know in advance what I am traveling with. I just see it as an additional expense of my being happy on my trips now.

For me personally as a wildlife tog, a lens like a 500 f4 is simply not replaceable by anything else (except a 600 f4). A body that is at the top of the pile in terms of noise, is not replaceable in dark forest conditions. A very sturdy tripod in not replaceable. As you know to consistantly shoot a 500 at 1/30th you need to practiced and very confident in your gear and technique.

Theres no point is having a trip of a lifetime see the "pink ruffled tiger eating sparrow of the Upper Volta" and being equipped with something "lesser" than the gear you normally use.

I do live in hope that one day Nikon and Canon will have a worthy challenger (Sony) to their long lens wildlife dominance.

Just my 2 baht :+)

1 minute ago, gvallee said:

I might do that one day Rick, but for the moment, I'm too much of a Nikon girl. You wouldn't believe the amount of Nikon gear I have accumulated over the years.

I appreciate, and listen to, all suggestions.

Gen

Oh, I believe it.  It's a disease.  The D4 was the finest camera I have ever owned.  I just got tired of lugging it around.  It was hard giving it up, but, alas I never took it with me after I retired from my business. 

Rick

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Smaller 13.3" laptops are just as capable of running Photoshop on the road as 15" ones. Both Win and Mac ones don't have to be more than 1 kg. Allowing for 200 or 300gr more can however mean a it's a much cheaper one. (Like with the Dell XPS vs Inspiron 13)

wim

I'm looking at this model. Do you think It could run Photoshop CC? 

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/acer-swift-1-13-3-fhd-notebook-sf113-31-p4fh-acswf1p4fh#!specifications

It could. But 4 Gb memory is about the absolute minimum. The problem with it is that it cannot be expanded. With thin lightweight (Aero) notebooks memory is soldered on the mainboard, making it impossible to change it or expand it. Terrible practice copied from Apple, who now even does it with their iMacs. Not necessary in this machine so very limiting.

My  laptop now has 8Gb and a 1Tb SSD, but was bought with 2Gb and a 500Gb HDD many years ago. It was 299Eur. No IPS screen, so not suited for Photoshop, just for checking if everything is there and in focus.

The hdd is also really small at 128Gb. My SD card now is a 128Gb because at one point I managed to fill a 64 in one day.

On the positive side: the screen is IPS which is good.

I would look a bit further for an 8 Gb one.

Something like this one  should be ok and quite a bit cheaper by now or with a lot bigger hdd. Ah maybe this one.

Some price aggregators have buying guides that let you set a myriad of specifications.

My minimum specs would be:

IPS panel (essential)

8Gb memory (essential)

13" to 14" (but my own is 11.1")

500Gb SSD

And after that the fastest processor/longest battery life/lightest one my wallet would allow.

Maybe also have a look at used ones where it would be easy to upgrade the memory and change the hdd for an ssd.

My last 1 Tb Samsung ssd was only 299 in December. The one before that 389 Eur. The 8Gb memory was 49 If I recall correctly; could have been 47Eur.

Added bonus: completely shockproof!

wim

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

It could. But 4 Gb memory is about the absolute minimum. The problem with it is that it cannot be expanded. With thin lightweight (Aero) notebooks memory is soldered on the mainboard, making it impossible to change it or expand it. Terrible practice copied from Apple, who now even does it with their iMacs. Not necessary in this machine so very limiting.

My  laptop now has 8Gb and a 1Tb SSD, but was bought with 2Gb and a 500Gb HDD many years ago. It was 299Eur. No IPS screen, so not suited for Photoshop, just for checking if everything is there and in focus.

The hdd is also really small at 128Gb. My SD card now is a 128Gb because at one point I managed to fill a 64 in one day.

On the positive side: the screen is IPS which is good.

I would look a bit further for an 8 Gb one.

Something like this one  should be ok and quite a bit cheaper by now or with a lot bigger hdd. Ah maybe this one.

Some price aggregators have buying guides that let you set a myriad of specifications.

My minimum specs would be:

IPS panel (essential)

8Gb memory (essential)

13" to 14" (but my own is 11.1")

500Gb SSD

And after that the fastest processor/longest battery life/lightest one my wallet would allow.

Maybe also have a look at used ones where it would be easy to upgrade the memory and change the hdd for an ssd.

My last 1 Tb Samsung ssd was only 299 in December. The one before that 389 Eur. The 8Gb memory was 49 If I recall correctly; could have been 47Eur.

Added bonus: completely shockproof!

wim

Alright Wim, I listened. I ordered a Lenovo ThinkPad E480.

256GB SSD

14" IPS Screen

8GB Memory

Thanks so much for your guidance.

Gen

Alright Wim, I listened. I ordered a Lenovo ThinkPad E480.

256GB SSD

14" IPS Screen

8GB Memory

Thanks so much for your guidance.

Gen

I'm sorry it's not so super lightweight. They are out there, but still quite expensive. Lenovo used to be IBM. Pretty solid stuff. Hope you''ll be happy with it.

If you ever want to upgrade the SSD for a bigger one: instructions here.

wim

Archived