Primary and Secondary Categories

Bryan, didn't Alamy send an email last year telling us that we can create our own categories? I was just wondering if you have tried it.

John, my wife had both hips replaced last year, second one in August and she is now line dancing and doing aquacise (aquatic sports) twice a week. 

So hang it there and do the exercises. 

9 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Good luck. It sounds like an exciting time for you, Betty.

I guess, if it were me, most of the time I’d use concepts and lifestyle as the two main categories, and then, depending on what was pictured, add tags like: transition, change of life, downsizing (even if you’re not), move, moving, pack, packing, box, boxes, carton, cartons, long distance move, diy moving. I’d also look through websites for moving companies for current advertising “buzz words.”

My NYC daughter is packing to move apartments from the Yorktown area down to Lower Manhattan, and in our conversations she’s been using words/phrases such as: chaos, organized chaos, purging, organizing, sorting, too much stuff, etc. Pretty soon I expect to hear words like "stress" and “panic,” but she hasn’t yet reached that point. 

Very good suggestions, Cecile. I hope I don’t get so caught up that I forget to take the pictures.  Then I wouldn’t have anything to use those beautiful tags!😝

12 hours ago, DerekVallintine said:

Bryan, didn't Alamy send an email last year telling us that we can create our own categories? I was just wondering if you have tried it.

Missed that one Derek. How do you create categories? Without knowing how they will be used it's difficult to know how to make best use of them,

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like:

history - not old images but statues, commemorative plaques, important historical locations, battlefields etc

politics - I refuse to put Jacob Rees-Mogg in 'celebrities and entertainment'

everyday life - not necessarily life events, I don't think shopping or sitting on a bench really qualify

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

I'd like:

history - not old images but statues, commemorative plaques, important historical locations, battlefields etc

everyday life - not necessarily life events, I don't think shopping or sitting on a bench really qualify

If shopping is not "Everyday life" what is?:huh:

I fully understand "Sitting on a beach" is not everyday life (except for the very rich maybe).<_<

Allan

28 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

If shopping is not "Everyday life" what is?:huh:

I fully understand "Sitting on a beach" is not everyday life (except for the very rich maybe).<_<

Allan

I meant they don't qualify for the existing category of "life events" (and it was a bench, not a beach)

3 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

I meant they don't qualify for the existing category of "life events" (and it was a bench, not a beach)

Whoops! Must be needing new spectacles.:wacko:

Sorry.

Allan

On 1/21/2018 at 19:02, DerekVallintine said:

John, my wife had both hips replaced last year, second one in August and she is now line dancing and doing aquacise (aquatic sports) twice a week. 

So hang it there and do the exercises. 

Sorry, I missed this. Thanks for the encouraging words. Not quite ready for line dancing yet, but I'm sure I'll get there.

8 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

I'd like:

I'd add "environment" to the wish list, for subjects such as global warming, green initiatives, green transportation, etc. Seems an odd omission these days.

I hope you're recovering well, John. 

I, too, struggle with categories most of the time.  If an image has people in it, I always click 'lifestyle', although I'm probably wrong.  I agree there's lots of categories missing - perhaps an Alamy head would take on suggestions of more relevant categories than are currently available.  For instance, I've wind farm pics, 'Technology' is a given, but what would one choose for a secondary category?  'Industry and Agriculture'?  'Business'?  Who knows...?!

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

I hope you're recovering well, John. 

I, too, struggle with categories most of the time.  If an image has people in it, I always click 'lifestyle', although I'm probably wrong.  I agree there's lots of categories missing - perhaps an Alamy head would take on suggestions of more relevant categories than are currently available.  For instance, I've wind farm pics, 'Technology' is a given, but what would one choose for a secondary category?  'Industry and Agriculture'?  'Business'?  Who knows...?!

Thanks for the good wishes. Wind farms sound like a candidate for the "environment" category (as a second category after "technology") that I suggested.

Another topical category to add would be "diversity", which is a very popular subject these days.

Perhaps Alamy needs to do some crowdsourcing when it comes to determining additional categories.

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for the good wishes. Wind farms sound like a candidate for the "environment" category (as a second category after "technology") that I suggested.

Another topical category to add would be "diversity", which is a very popular subject these days.

Perhaps Alamy needs to do some crowdsourcing when it comes to determining additional categories.

Environment should be added, it encompasses a whole range of pics. 

Surely the category you wish to add would be 'diversity and weirdness'?!  :lol:

2 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

What would be CURRENT unintended consequence(s) of

selecting this for ALL my images???

primary = Travel

secondary = Lifestyle

This will be correct for about 80% of my images...

Alternative would be to leave both fields empty...

Alamy hasn't told us (AFAIK) yet how they will use the categories, so probably no unintended consequences to using Travel and Lifestyle or leaving fields blank.

Archived