Primary and Secondary Categories

The two Categories in the Optional fields of AIM offer a range of choices, but it's not clear to me how they will be used. I can't see where they appear in a search,  maybe big customers have additional search fields, or are they used by Alamy sales staff? Or perhaps they will be introduced in the future?

I am having some difficulty in selecting the most appropriate categories for some of my images, and feel that some additional guidance would be useful. For example does "Archival or Historical" merely apply to photos taken in the past, or is it appropriate for very old buildings?  Travel covers a multitude of sins,  and we also have Transport. A list of examples against each category would be good, with maybe some suggestions on what would not be suitable under each category.

If we are to make full use of these categories and retrospectively complete the fields  it would also be useful to be able to select only those images which are deficient.

53 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The two Categories in the Optional fields of AIM offer a range of choices, but it's not clear to me how they will be used. I can't see where they appear in a search,  maybe big customers have additional search fields, or are they used by Alamy sales staff? Or perhaps they will be introduced in the future?

I am having some difficulty in selecting the most appropriate categories for some of my images, and feel that some additional guidance would be useful. For example does "Archival or Historical" merely apply to photos taken in the past, or is it appropriate for very old buildings?  Travel covers a multitude of sins,  and we also have Transport. A list of examples against each category would be good, with maybe some suggestions on what would not be suitable under each category.

If we are to make full use of these categories and retrospectively complete the fields  it would also be useful to be able to select only those images which are deficient.

I try to categorize new images. But neither do I see exactly why and have the same difficulties finding appropriate categories. The other day I used  "Archival or Historical" for images of runic stones isolated on white - but don't know whether this is correct. The second category became "Art" - thought of travel - but chose art. Seems like a waste of time.

I fill out one. Seldom two. And yes, sometimes I have some that don’t seem to fit anything but “objects”. A cop out.

If it’s a semi truck going down the highway, I use transport, business.

A car on the road in a beautiful place, travel.

i have trouble with a building, exterior, restaurant.  Food? Business? Both? Even if there’s no food showing?

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

Agree with all of that. As I have said in other posts before, Alamy doesn’t really provide enough information and examples to help contributors. 

As discussed in other threads, the current list of categories is deficient, making it difficult to choose appropriate ones in a lot of cases. However if Alamy expands the list in the future, it will mean that we we'll have to go back and do a lot of updating. Hmmm... sounds familiar. B)

48 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

John, are you ok? Surgery, yet? Thinking of you.

Betty

That's very sweet of you, Betty.

I've been home from the hospital for a couple of days now and am managing fine. Shall be doing a lot of updating and minimal uploading until the new hip settles in.

Looking forward to kicking the crutches.

Cheers,

-John

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've been home from the hospital for a couple of days now and am managing fine. Shall be doing a lot of updating and minimal uploading until the new hip settles in.

Cheers,

-John

Missed the fact that you needed an op John, hope it works out OK. Know a few people who have had a replacement hip and it has given them a new lease of life.

Now's the time to sweat the assets, by further improving those keywords, and, if you can make any sense of them, apply the categories!

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Cheers,

-John

Best wishes for a speedy recovery John.:)

Allan

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Cheers,

-John

Very pleased you made it through ok.  In the long run, the pain and inconvenience will pay off.  I knew it was to be in January, so beginning from the 1st you were on my mind every day.

You just keep on keeping on and before you know it, you’ll be looking at the ordeal in the rear-view mirror.

Happy for you.

Betty

Speaking of categories, I’m confused as to what category to choose over images connected with our packing up and moving.

Pile of packing boxes, I chose “objects and still life”. Should this be “concepts”? with phrases added such as “life changes?”

Future pictures of people packing up, the same? Concepts? Lifestyle? 

So confusing. I’m tending to think concepts for category.

Suggestions on tagging and category?

We found a house in Wichita yesterday. An offer will be made that would make it within our budget, but I doubt it will be accepted. It’s higher than our budget. It needs updating in kitchen and baths. And I’ll want to rip up carpets and tile in living/dining and install hardwood. But when updating is done, it would be perfect and beautiful.  What is absolutely perfect is that there is a sunroom that could be a perfect bird room for our two African Grays. 

Very nice safe and upscale neighborhood and only 8 minutes from my daughter’s house.

I doubt, though, that our offer will be accepted.

Crossing fingers. We have to be out of our present home by Feb. 19.

Betty

25 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Speaking of categories, I’m confused as to what category to choose over images connected with our packing up and moving.

Pile of packing boxes, I chose “objects and still life”. Should this be “concepts”? with phrases added such as “life changes?”

Future pictures of people packing up, the same? Concepts? Lifestyle? 

So confusing. I’m tending to think concepts for category.

Suggestions on tagging and category?

We found a house in Wichita yesterday. An offer will be made that would make it within our budget, but I doubt it will be accepted. It’s higher than our budget. It needs updating in kitchen and baths. And I’ll want to rip up carpets and tile in living/dining and install hardwood. But when updating is done, it would be perfect and beautiful.  What is absolutely perfect is that there is a sunroom that could be a perfect bird room for our two African Grays. 

Very nice safe and upscale neighborhood and only 8 minutes from my daughter’s house.

I doubt, though, that our offer will be accepted.

Crossing fingers. We have to be out of our present home by Feb. 19.

Betty

Fingers crossed for you, Betty. My current apartment is one that was unlikely that I could get but here I am.

Paulette

Good luck. It sounds like an exciting time for you, Betty.

I guess, if it were me, most of the time I’d use concepts and lifestyle as the two main categories, and then, depending on what was pictured, add tags like: transition, change of life, downsizing (even if you’re not), move, moving, pack, packing, box, boxes, carton, cartons, long distance move, diy moving. I’d also look through websites for moving companies for current advertising “buzz words.”

My NYC daughter is packing to move apartments from the Yorktown area down to Lower Manhattan, and in our conversations she’s been using words/phrases such as: chaos, organized chaos, purging, organizing, sorting, too much stuff, etc. Pretty soon I expect to hear words like "stress" and “panic,” but she hasn’t yet reached that point. 

Out of curiosity I checked All of Alamy and there were 11 pages of searches for "concept". Then I tried "packing" and saw "eviction packing". Yikes. A sign of the times? I would think maybe "relocating". I didn't check for that.

Paulette

11 hours ago, Bryan said:

Missed the fact that you needed an op John, hope it works out OK. Know a few people who have had a replacement hip and it has given them a new lease of life.

Now's the time to sweat the assets, by further improving those keywords, and, if you can make any sense of them, apply the categories!

I've heard positive reports from other "hippies" as well. Short-term pain for long-term gain, as they say.

I'm shuffling through categories and keywords as we speak..

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Very pleased you made it through ok.  In the long run, the pain and inconvenience will pay off.  I knew it was to be in January, so beginning from the 1st you were on my mind every day.

You just keep on keeping on and before you know it, you’ll be looking at the ordeal in the rear-view mirror.

Happy for you.

Betty

Thanks. It's probably going to tougher on my wife than on me. Hopefully, I won't be seeing her in the rear-view mirror. B)

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

John, I hope it wasn't all that tango dancing you did south of the border. 

Take things slow and good luck for a full recovery. 

Edo

No tango dancing, but I'm sure that traipsing around Latin America with heavy camera bags didn't help matters.

Thanks for the kind wishes.

Archived