Sultanpepa

Slow month? 2018

29 minutes ago, Marb said:

Why am I being singled out here when I am justtified in my complaint ? Sorry, I thougt the topic was “Slow Month?” 

And for your interest, I shot a lot more than ten images yesterday to edit this week.

With your total of images the Alamy average would be about 1 or 2 sales a month. If you are doing better or worse than that average it is down to you.

It would help if you took advice when you ask for it instead of ignoring it or feeling victimised.

Edited by geogphotos

21 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

With your total of images the Alamy average would be about 1 or 2 sales a month. If you are doing better or worse than that average it is down to you.

It would help if you took advice when you ask for it instead of ignoring it or feeling victimised.

It’s like herding cats here. Again, I take images that are just as saleable ( even more after taking advice) as most. It’s this alamy tinted outlook that miffs me. Again, others here are noticing a drop in sales but theydon’t get the same response as I keep getting.

17 minutes ago, Marb said:

It’s like herding cats here. Again, I take images that are just as saleable ( even more after taking advice) as most. It’s this alamy tinted outlook that miffs me. Again, others here are noticing a drop in sales but theydon’t get the same response as I keep getting.

The average is roughly 1 sale a  month per 1000 images. There are ups and downs, good months and bad, but that is the rough average.

If you want more sales then the best way is to add more images. Caption them accurately and provide decent keywords. 

Try and think of how you can gain an advantage using people you know for access maybe to produce images that others can't.

One thing for sure is that moaning on the forum will not boost your sales. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

The average is roughly 1 sale a  month per 1000 images. There are ups and downs, good months and bad, but that is the rough average.

If you want more sales then the best way is to add more images. Caption them accurately and provide decent keywords. 

Try and think of how you can gain an advantage using people you know for access maybe to produce images that others can't.

One thing for sure is that moaning on the forum will not boost your sales. 

Thanks for the advice and yes, you make some valid points about subject matter. Perhaps I should keep off the forums this time of year as I am not at my best and get rather depressed. Lack of sales don’t help.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Marb said:

Thanks for the advice and yes, you make some valid points about subject matter. Perhaps I should keep off the forums this time of year as I am not at my best and get rather depressed. Lack of sales don’t help.

Marb, I think your photos look great, a real nice variety, nice colors.  Just keep shooting and uploading and more sales will come.  Unfortunately, 1,500 images isn't that much anymore for regular sales.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Marb said:

Why am I being singled out here when I am justtified in my complaint ? Sorry, I thougt the topic was “Slow Month?” 

And for your interest, I shot a lot more than ten images yesterday to edit this week.

There is no need for a calimero complex. Sorry if you feel picked upon, that was not my intention. The main thread of your posts is consistently that you are not getting the sales you anticipated. Over the months many have been kindly trying to help. And trying to explain that your anticipations were not as is the reality for many. The situation in the industry isn;t great. It is a buyers market. Alamy offers a long tail platform. That means that many of the images uploaded will never see the light of day. Annoying, but thats the way it is. There are various ways of approaching Alamy to make the best of your time. Words like flyfishing and trawling are often mentioned.

Sorry... I am going to have to leave this post half finished... I have to work.

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Marb, I think your photos look great, a real nice variety, nice colors.  Just keep shooting and uploading and more sales will come.  Unfortunately, 1,500 images isn't that much anymore for regular sales.

Even 3,000 to 4,000 does not seem to bring in many sales these days. It used to be 3,000 images was a good amount of images to almost guarantee 1 image sale per 1,000 per month but that was when Alamy only had about 50 million images on their books.

Allan

Most sales/month ever for me (5 so far) and for decent amounts. CTR average; BHZ position worst ever. Disappointed to hear contributors are getting $0.68!

Edited by KevinS
Add a sale

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I agree, Michael.

Marb, I have no inside information as to what you're doing or not doing, but 1561 images in over 4 years is about 390 a year -- not enough to be a real player. I found that regular production is a big factor in rank. The other factors you know. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Upvote 3

There was a chapter in a poker book a read a few years ago which I think it rings true here.

"How am I doing? Who cares!"

It's about not constantly checking if you're meeting short-term results, just making smart decisions and working hard...eventually good things will come. Long-term is longer than what most people imagine.

That's what I'm doing...my results have not been great ($155 in 7 sales over the past 3 months) but just putting my head down and working hard, improving images, metadata and lighting a candle at my Alamy-Altar. 

p.s Any advice on how to improve sales in my port will be greatly appreciated, especially now that my portfolio is getting to a decent size for a one-man army, although still a drop in the ocean.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

p.s Any advice on how to improve sales in my port will be greatly appreciated, especially now that my portfolio is getting to a decent size for a one-man army, although still a drop in the ocean.  

It's not always possible to see all of the keywords, but the type of plane appears to be missing in M11NNP. It may or may not make a difference, but I always try (and often fail!) to provide detailed info wherever possible. I am forever polishing keywords, adding searched for phrases etc. If you can't be shooting and processing this is the next most useful activity.  Study your own views and AOA to see if you have missed any tricks.

Searching for photos in the papers I am often amazed that obvious words are missing, for example a photo of a row of estate agents boards advertising houses for sale. One image I noticed had missed the word "houses"!  Today I was looking for (and not finding) the Alamy edition of a  photo of a person prominently holding a piece of swiss roll. The words swiss roll, cream roll, jelly roll, did not find the photo in question.

Anyone finding similar omissions in my port will be gratefully thanked, I'm sure they exist! 

Edited by Bryan
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

There was a chapter in a poker book a read a few years ago which I think it rings true here.

"How am I doing? Who cares!"

It's about not constantly checking if you're meeting short-term results, just making smart decisions and working hard...eventually good things will come. Long-term is longer than what most people imagine.

That's what I'm doing...my results have not been great ($155 in 7 sales over the past 3 months) but just putting my head down and working hard, improving images, metadata and lighting a candle at my Alamy-Altar. 

What you have said rings true (to me, at least).  I am sure that relevance, variety, longevity, persistence, quantity, quality (in both the imagery and metadata) consistency and patience all have a role to play.  I look at your rapid rate of uploading here and  - while I remain firmly in the RM camp (but that's another -  well-trodden - story) - I feel certain that if I don't pull my finger out and get working, then your sales will very soon begin to overtake mine - and at an increasing rate.

Hence, I am currently digging into my LR archives to recommence my uploads this winter/spring (while fighting a dying PC and corrupt LR catalogs - another weekend down the drain :angry:) with a plan to get newer stuff on the shelves by the summer!

PS Sorry, no sales advice from me! Beyond what I've said, I don't feel qualified to offer it and in any case - you're now officially in the competition bracket! ;):):D

7 hours ago, Marb said:

Good plan! :)Not meant with any sense of malice whatsoever!  The more you mention your lack of sales, the more upset you (and everyone else :unsure: [smile and the world smiles with you and all that] ) will become! ;)  Lord, that was a grammatical horror!

I know that many here have suffered - and suffer - from various conditions which are doubtless not helped by spending many hours hunched over a keyboard staring at a monitor - especially when all you sense is negativity.  Maybe find a nice spot to take some (non-stock) images which bring you pleasure, rather than reading the forum?

As regards, Alamy licenses: follow Brasilnut's advice: upload, keep your head down, and the sales will come. Don't Panic!

Good luck to both of you (from the other side of the wall (RM :P| :P RF)  :lol:

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bryan said:

It's not always possible to see all of the keywords, but the type of plane appears to be missing in M11NNP...

and the country, or variations of - Holland, Dutch - and you can add hub too.

Edited by Avpics
  • Like 1

I think there are at least two skills to learn, good photographic technique and then the dark art of describing your photo for the greater web, titles, description and tags are a skill that can be refined over time, the more images uploaded the more experience you have of describing. Then as time passes and you keep curious you realize early efforts at stock photography and key wording were woefully inadequate at the outset. Motto keep learning and stay calm.

• Upvote 1

Hey, don't abandon hope!

I was trawling for book acknowledgements for my DACs claim, and found one published April 2016, and reported 21 Dec 2017 - still to be paid.

As they say: Alamy is a waiting game!

Slow month?  This has been my fastest month ever, as I normally tootle along with an average of 3 sales per month.  This month I have done 8 - no idea why.  2 were bulk sales fixed price for hardly anything but the fact that they had six friends helped me cope!  Two were of Xmas jumpers, so perhaps they were a hangover from last year.

but the type of plane appears to be missing in M11NNP.

and the country, or variations of - Holland, Dutch - and you can add hub too.

Great tips, added those in. By the way, an easy way to find out which type of airplane is by googling the reference code. In this case, "KLM PH-BQK"

KLM airplanes on tarmac at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam, Netherlands. KLM is the flag-carrier airliner of the Netherlands - Stock Image

This took me to this aviation site

I'm really making an effort to keyword to the best of my abilities but it's not easy. Just came back from a month in Brazil with 1500 images to process. Two weeks in I'm only about halfway through...

Thanks for the tips

----------

PS Sorry, no sales advice from me! Beyond what I've said, I don't feel qualified to offer it and in any case - you're now officially in the competition bracket! ;):):D

Haha, in that case, I won't step in your "turf" if you don't step in mine ;) 

Have a great week and greetings beyond the RM/RF divide:

Inhotim Institute is a museum and contemporary art museum as well as a botanic garden located in Brumadinho, Brazil Stock Photo

Good things are coming. 

• Upvote 1

End of the month sales starting to trickle in - all small ones so far, though

Alex

On 1/29/2018 at 08:51, Brasilnut said:

Great tips, added those in. By the way, an easy way to find out which type of airplane is by googling the reference code. In this case, "KLM PH-BQK"

This took me to this aviation site

I'm really making an effort to keyword to the best of my abilities but it's not easy. Just came back from a month in Brazil with 1500 images to process. Two weeks in I'm only about halfway through...

Thanks for the tips

----------

Haha, in that case, I won't step in your "turf" if you don't step in mine ;) 

Have a great week and greetings beyond the RM/RF divide:

Good things are coming. 

I said something like that to someone on here once, in jest, like you just did, and he complained to Alamy about me. Luckily Alamy were sympathetic. :wacko:

The month did start slowly for me and while not a bumper month, it has beaten my January 2017 for volume and money so taking that January has been typically slow for my sales, I took the opportunity to upload over 100 new images. 

1 hour ago, Alex Ramsay said:

End of the month sales starting to trickle in - all small ones so far, though

Alex

Ditto. Three so far. Still no sign of September's Live News images which would round the month off nicely.

33 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

13 in this morning to double my sales this month.  Still time for more.

That's what I call a torrent, not a trickle

Alex

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, John Richmond said:

13 in this morning to double my sales this month.  Still time for more.

45 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

That's what I call a torrent, not a trickle

Alex

Quite! I thought this was the thread for moaning, not celebrating - you've posted in the wrong thread, John!  ;):lol:

20 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Quite! I thought this was the thread for moaning, not celebrating - you've posted in the wrong thread, John!  ;):lol:

Ok, OK, I'll moan.  Prices were poor.  Bread and dripping for tea.  :(