Recommended Posts

Last night right after I completed working on my portfolio on this site, the strangest and scariest thing happened to me in the realm of computers.  I was on a Webpage, not Alamy, when my computer screen went black.  I could see the arrow (cursor) but that was it.  I could also hear from my 9 year old Mac Pro tower a lot of hard drive noises.  It sounded furious.

 

I must have stared at the screen for a good two minutes, thinking only that I just lost my old gal's hard drive for good.  I have kind of been expecting it anyway and I was almost ready to say a little prayer over her when, out of the blue, the log-on screen popped up and prompted me to sign in with my password.  The computer did not go through the rebooting process, which now takes forever, and I have never had to sign back into my machine since I first set it up in 2009.

 

I'm a huge fan of my Mac Pro, but I think this was a sign.  First thing this morning, I ordered a brand new iMac 27" 5k computer, maxed out.  I'll now have the pleasure of a 1TB SSD and all the goodies.  I have to say though, that I'll miss my old Mac Pro, but it's time.

 

I still have no idea what happened.  I hope it doesn't happen again, I can tell you that.  I am hopeful that it gets me through the weekend, although the weather has been so bad I haven't been able to get out and shoot.  I only need to tag and caption three images.

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly what I experienced 12 months back on my old iMac which had already been replaced but retained to accommodate my scanner. A few days later the hard drive died. This wasn't such a disaster as the replacement unit was already operational and a new hard drive in the old Mac was cheap enough. My advise to you now would quickly ensure all is backed up on an external hard drive ready for transfer to the new machine. 

 

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good grief, 9 years? I think you wrung all the good out of that one, Rick.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

BACK UP NOW before you do anything else! (I speak from experience)

 

Alex

 

In fact, back up in twice.

 

A few years ago after a similar situation I decided to go and buy a new mac. Plugging in my external hard drive with my back up into the new mac it asked me whether I wanted to use timemachine with the hard drive. So I clicked yes... at which point the mac reformatted the hard drive and I had an attack of the swearies.

Edited by funkyworm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good grief, 9 years? I think you wrung all the good out of that one, Rick.

 

I'm running a 15-year-old PC that still performs flawlessly and meets a lot of my day-to-day needs. Its only fault is that it's too underpowered to handle tasks such as video editing and music creation, so I have to have a second machine for that.

 

Alan

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

 

In fact, back up in twice.

 

A few years ago after a similar situation I decided to go and buy a new mac. Plugging in my external hard drive with my back up into the new mac it asked me whether I wanted to use timemachine with the hard drive. So I clicked yes... at which point the mac reformatted the hard drive and I had an attack of the swearies.

 

I'm having an attack of the deja vus. In that other world I did advise caution using a Time Machine backup as it might do funny things to the new Mac. Your post confirms this. I do think it is risky to install an old OS on a new machine although the worst that can happen really is that it becomes necessary to restore the new OS if it doesn't work.

 

The good news, however, is that Rick no doubt has a full and recent backup so no worries there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MDM said:

 

I'm having an attack of the deja vus. In that other world I did advise caution using a Time Machine backup as it might do funny things to the new Mac. Your post confirms this. I do think it is risky to install an old OS on a new machine although the worst that can happen really is that it becomes necessary to restore the new OS if it doesn't work.

 

The good news, however, is that Rick no doubt has a full and recent backup so no worries there. 

 

I do have a back up, using Time Machine, and all my images are on separate, backed up external hard drives.  The way I understand Time Machine and the "Migration Assistant", from the Apple Website, is that when the new iMac arrives and I hook up my Time Machine back up drive, I can choose which files and settings to transfer and whether I want any applications to transfer.  It will not over-write the new IOS.  My Time Machine is set to auto so it is very up to the minute with back-ups.

 

I'm crossing my fingers that it will hold out until next Wednesday when the new machine arrives. 

Edited by Rick Lewis
spelling - doh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE:   The new iMac arrived earlier than expected.  In fact it beat the 32GB of extra RAM I ordered but it should be arriving Wednesday.

 

The "Migration Assistant" worked perfectly utilizing "Time Machine".  I've only had to add a few passwords and that's it.  All the old programs I've had for years migrated without flaw.  It was supper easy.  I did have to log back into Adobe but that was easy too.  So far so good.  No issues.

 

Trying to calibrate the monitor is a bit tricky though.  Apple has gone a little too far in their "simple" design.  There is no way to adjust contrast, brightness, etc through external adjustments. I could only get close to the desired luminance value I wanted.  And, worse, there is no way to hook up my Bose speakers!!!!

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

UPDATE:   The new iMac arrived earlier than expected.  In fact it beat the 32GB of extra RAM I ordered but it should be arriving Wednesday.

 

The "Migration Assistant" worked perfectly utilizing "Time Machine".  I've only had to add a few passwords and that's it.  All the old programs I've had for years migrated without flaw.  It was supper easy.  I did have to log back into Adobe but that was easy too.  So far so good.  No issues.

 

Trying to calibrate the monitor is a bit tricky though.  Apple has gone a little too far in their "simple" design.  There is no way to adjust contrast, brightness, etc through external adjustments. I could only get close to the desired luminance value I wanted.  And, worse, there is no way to hook up my Bose speakers!!!!

 

Rick

 

Glad to hear it's mostly working for you. Apple have not designed the iMac monitors with photography in mind. Adjusments are best done through hardware calibration. If you don't have a hardware device, then the X-Rite i1 Display PRO is excellent for about $250 or so but there are cheaper ones which give you less control. As I said in an earlier post, I would suggest you continue to use your 26" NEC monitor for photography with the iMac screen as a secondary monitor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MDM, you are correct about the iMac, it was never intended to be the best for still photographers and certainly isn't.  Unfortunately my NEC has seen better days as well and is suffering from very significant flare.  Only about the center 30% is accurate, I would estimate.  The iMac was the cheapest solution.  There are far better displays out there, I just can't afford them.

 

But, after using an X-Rite Colormunki Display calibration tool / software, using the ADC function, I am satisfied with the resulting profile.  My biggest concern was with the brightness or luminance but it seems corrected by the Colormunki.  I learned how to edit using the Lightroom or Capture One Pro histogram several years ago and that has made a world of difference.

 

I finally got my external speakers to work with it, and with a little glass of Jack Daniels, I'm back in business again.

 

For anyone wondering if an internal SSD is worth the price of admission, all I can say is WOW!!  Lightroom now loads in about 10 seconds as opposed to around 2 minutes on my old Mac Pro.  Everything is just FASTER!

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rick Lewis said:

@MDM, you are correct about the iMac, it was never intended to be the best for still photographers and certainly isn't.  Unfortunately my NEC has seen better days as well and is suffering from very significant flare.  Only about the center 30% is accurate, I would estimate.  The iMac was the cheapest solution.  There are far better displays out there, I just can't afford them.

 

But, after using an X-Rite Colormunki Display calibration tool / software, using the ADC function, I am satisfied with the resulting profile.  My biggest concern was with the brightness or luminance but it seems corrected by the Colormunki.  I learned how to edit using the Lightroom or Capture One Pro histogram several years ago and that has made a world of difference.

 

I finally got my external speakers to work with it, and with a little glass of Jack Daniels, I'm back in business again.

 

For anyone wondering if an internal SSD is worth the price of admission, all I can say is WOW!!  Lightroom now loads in about 10 seconds as opposed to around 2 minutes on my old Mac Pro.  Everything is just FASTER!

 

Rick

 

If you do find the spare cash at some point for an extra monitor, these BenQ Wide Gamut 27" stills photograpy monitors are very good value at $595 considering what wide gamut monitors from the likes of Eizo tend to cost. I got one of these a while back and it is very good - holds in highlight detail which tends to get lost on the Retina screen on my MacBook Pro.  It has all sorts of other functions not available on the iMacs. And yes upgrading from an old MacPro to an internal SSD is very liberating. Wait till you try the USB3 after being stuck on USB2 for years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MDM said:

 

If you do find the spare cash at some point for an extra monitor, these BenQ Wide Gamut 27" stills photograpy monitors are very good value at $595 considering what wide gamut monitors from the likes of Eizo tend to cost. I got one of these a while back and it is very good - holds in highlight detail which tends to get lost on the Retina screen on my MacBook Pro.  It has all sorts of other functions not available on the iMacs. And yes upgrading from an old MacPro to an internal SSD is very liberating. Wait till you try the USB3 after being stuck on USB2 for years.

 

 

£599 at WEX.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

 

£599 at WEX.

 

Allan

 

 

 

Yes I noticed that and it is typical - prices this side of the Atlantic are invariably higher than in the US although the US prices are quoted without tax whereas the WEX price is VAT inclusive. The dollar price at present exchange rate would be around $800 including VAT. This has been happening for as long as I remember.

 

I also notice that WEX seem to have made recent price increases for many products. That monitor cost me £579 or so back in October. For example, XQD cards have seen really dramatic recent price rises and are significantly higher than other dealers (e.g Park Cameras). I don't know if this is a stock issue in this case where prices have risen from Sony and other dealers still have older stock. We will see. I have always liked WEX for the excellent customer service and they have usually been competitive in pricing but I am not a WEX devotee. If I can buy the same product cheaper elsewhere and the customer service is good, then I will go elsewhere (e.g Grays of Westminster or Park). It's definitely worth looking around before buying. 

Edited by MDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2018 at 12:02, MDM said:

 

Yes I noticed that and it is typical - prices this side of the Atlantic are invariably higher than in the US although the US prices are quoted without tax whereas the WEX price is VAT inclusive. The dollar price at present exchange rate would be around $800 including VAT. This has been happening for as long as I remember.

 

I also notice that WEX seem to have made recent price increases for many products. That monitor cost me £579 or so back in October. For example, XQD cards have seen really dramatic recent price rises and are significantly higher than other dealers (e.g Park Cameras). I don't know if this is a stock issue in this case where prices have risen from Sony and other dealers still have older stock. We will see. I have always liked WEX for the excellent customer service and they have usually been competitive in pricing but I am not a WEX devotee. If I can buy the same product cheaper elsewhere and the customer service is good, then I will go elsewhere (e.g Grays of Westminster or Park). It's definitely worth looking around before buying. 

 

Whole heartedly agree with your sentiments Mick. I have also found cheaper at Cameraworld. Because I have been such a good customer in the past my local dealer will usually price match for me. He stresses that deal is for me only.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Because I have been such a good customer in the past my local dealer will usually price match for me. He stresses that deal is for me only.

 

 

 

I don't have a local dealer since Jessops went bust. London is closest to me now in terms of time. I do like Grays of Westminster now I have to say - best prices for a lot of Nikon stuff and excellent customer service - personal and very knowledgable. I finally parted with my FM2n 35mm SLRs there recently. No good to you Fuji cats though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MDM said:

 

I don't have a local dealer since Jessops went bust. London is closest to me now in terms of time. I do like Grays of Westminster now I have to say - best prices for a lot of Nikon stuff and excellent customer service - personal and very knowledgable. I finally parted with my FM2n 35mm SLRs there recently. No good to you Fuji cats though.

 

FUJI! FUJI!  Yuk!

 

I'll have you know I am now out and out SONY user.:D

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

 

FUJI! FUJI!  Yuk!

 

I'll have you know I am now out and out SONY user.:D

 

Allan

 

 

 

Oops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now