Matt Ashmore

Has Google Image Search changed?

Recommended Posts

Is it my imagination or has Google image Search changed?

Previously searching Google using an image (right-click menu option in chrome or upload an image here: https://images.google.com/) return a number of matching thumbnails that you could click on.

Now I seem to get a load of textual links which don't really match my image.

 

Do other people see this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's another thread on this, but yes, it does seem a bit different, certainly for images indexed recently. It's also returning results based on a text search as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

There's another thread on this, but yes, it does seem a bit different, certainly for images indexed recently. It's also returning results based on a text search as well.

Where is that other thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, tarsierspectral said:

Where is that other thread?

this

refers to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just searched for one of my pics using Google search and the results mean the Google search is useless.  Shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Just searched for one of my pics using Google search and the results mean the Google search is useless.  Shame.

 

Yes, that's about the size of it from my perspective too. And I guess the "reported images" threads will suffer as a consequence too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

 

Yes, that's about the size of it from my perspective too. And I guess the "reported images" threads will suffer as a consequence too.

 

Exactly.  Why 'fix' something which isn't broken?  The mind boggles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colblimp said:

 

Exactly.  Why 'fix' something which isn't broken?  The mind boggles.

 

It could be due to legislation in Google's case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

 

It could be due to legislation in Google's case.

Tell us more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Tell us more.

 

I'm just hypothesising... wasn't there a thread on this forum some time ago about Alamy/Getty (forget which) taking Google to Court because they find stock photos which people then steal (knowingly or otherwise)? This is the sort of thing which could make Google make changes.

 

I believe it was this that I was thinking of:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/27/getty-images-files-antitrust-google

 

Anyway.. my response was just a potential answer to Colblimp's rhetorical question!

Edited by Matt Ashmore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now