JeffGreenberg

cut process time ~25% if 100% max window, not 100%...? But???!!!

fixed size (~1200pts) for burning-dodging-desaturate tools @100% max window, not 100%, occasional exceptions if needed;

use patch tool at 100% max window, not 100%, occasional exceptions if needed;

these two compromises could reduce processing time 25+%!!!; tested somewhat in latest (968) batch going live soon;

back & forth between 100% max window & 100% eliminated, including re-positioning cropped 100% image...

may help my newer monitor 1440x2560...?

checking ALL images at 100% for s.a.l.d. & big sky imperfections NOT eliminated!

comments?  caveats?  complaints?  comebacks?

Jeff,

Sorry my friend, but I always work at 100%, just upgraded my desktop to speed things up.  I am also now

doing corporate work and my clients appreciate the quality of the finished images I produce and yes it

is painful working on 7360 by files at 300PPI, but at least I quit doing everything in 16bit......

I always work at 100% but have a big monitor.  Small monitors or laptops would slow you down.

Jill

Posted (edited)

When you view at less than 100% you are not seeing a proper rendering of the image. As Jill says use a large monitor (ideally 27" with resolution around 2500 x 1440 pixels or thereabouts for stills photography). 

You are obviously using Photoshop for your processing. Are you are shooting raw or in-camera JPEG?  If you really want to reduce processing time, do yourself a favour and start using Lightroom. If you spend a day or two learning how to use it, you will almost certainly speed up by very significant amounts for several reasons - bulk processing, better tools, better quality images by working primarily on the raw images if shooting raw. But even if working on JPEGs you will speed up a lot.

You should be working in Pixels not Points by the way. Points are for printers not photographers.

Edited by MDM

Novice question:

can decent quality 27" monitor run off of 14" Lenovo P40 Yoga...?

one of the ports is specifically for this purpose...?

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Novice question:

can decent quality 27" monitor run off of 14" Lenovo P40 Yoga...?

one of the ports is specifically for this purpose...?

Thanks.

I'm a Mac user but a quick look online suggests that is a pretty decent modern laptop so should run an external monitor without any problem. I'd recommend the BenQ SW2700PT 27 Inch Monitor as a very good value wide gamut monitor. Make sure it is the PT if you are looking - that is the one specially for stills photography. I don't know what it costs in the US but it is £579 here suggesting it would be about $600. Ideally you would need to calibrate it as well so you are looking at another $100-200. But all that is money very well spent.

On 09/01/2018 at 01:25, JeffGreenberg said:

fixed size (~1200pts) for burning-dodging-desaturate tools @100% max window, not 100%, occasional exceptions if needed;

use patch tool at 100% max window, not 100%, occasional exceptions if needed;

these two compromises could reduce processing time 25+%!!!; tested somewhat in latest (968) batch going live soon;

back & forth between 100% max window & 100% eliminated, including re-positioning cropped 100% image...

may help my newer monitor 1440x2560...?

checking ALL images at 100% for s.a.l.d. & big sky imperfections NOT eliminated!

comments?  caveats?  complaints?  comebacks?

You could always automatically downsize all your images.... This would give you fewer pixels to check/smaller image = faster checking at 100%. LR can do the downsizing for you, PS/PSE also has a batch resize capability. Maybe you can tell from your sales data if all those extra pixels (in max res images) are actually worth the extra inspection effort?

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

You could always automatically downsize all your images.... This would give you fewer pixels to check/smaller image = faster checking at 100%.

Am already downsizing to 27MB -- last step.

You've given good reason to make it earlier step!!!!