Tags Brit style vs American

As I peeked at Allen Bell’s latest images, (I like) I realized, although this has been discussed before, I’m under-utilizing tags. 

For instance, Allen has a senior couple, one using what we call in the US, a walker. He calls it a support trolly.

I have gas (gasoline) stations, he has petrol stations. I do use the tag, “fuel”. But not petrol.

I think our brains just seem to come up with the tags used in our own venue, and it takes religious concentration to remember to add the ones across the pond. I’m not doing other countries, thankyouverymuch.

Now to revisit images and steal some sales from you Brits. :D

Betty

I'm technically a Brit and I've never heard 'support trolley'. My Mum has one and it's called a Tri-Walker, which might be a trade name, I think they're generically 'walkers'. So I wouldn't have thought of 'support trolley' either!

I try to remember to use Americanisms, but there must be many I don't know.

Support walker would be the first term to cross my mind, not  support trolley being used before but it seems legit.

I tend not to worry too much about Americanising my keywords. I reckon if someone is searching for 'sidewalk', they are unlikely to want my photo of a pavement in Bolton.

10 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

Are we talking about a zimmer frame? 

Not that I always hit the nail on the  head - but sometimes it can be turned to an advantage not being a native speaker of English.

Yes, but with wheels, I think.

I might be wrong, but I suspect that British people have a slight advantage over American people just because I suspect we get to watch more American TV than the other way around! :D

I try to use words and spellings from both sides of the Atlantic. This includes spelling with 'z's and 's's. Including a 'u' in some words an not.

The real killer for me is when describing something with lots of bright colours (like a rainbow) ... and end up with:

colour

color

colourful

colorful

colours

colors

multicolour

multicolor

multicoloured

multicolored

multicolours

multicolors

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

For instance, Allen has a senior couple, one using what we call in the US, a walker. He calls it a support trolly.

Do you mean a zimmerframe on wheels? 

They are quite fashionable in Germany where they go by the name of rollator. And I found that the English translation was a walking frame. 

And then I came across this one. You'll find many more meanings in this article.

https://www.verywell.com/rollator-or-walker-2318324

That looks similar to Allen’s, but his is a 3-wheeler. He calls it a wheeled support trolly. 

Over here, I never hear anyone refer to them as anything but “walker”, not distinguishing with or without wheels. Although for tagging, one should distinguish.

I looked mine up, and guess what? I don’t have a single image of anyone using a walker. 

But I do have shopping carts, which you call shopping trollies. Do you spell “trollys” or “trollies”? Or trolley/trolleys?

3 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Support walker would be the first term to cross my mind, not  support trolley being used before but it seems legit.

I tend not to worry too much about Americanising my keywords. I reckon if someone is searching for 'sidewalk', they are unlikely to want my photo of a pavement in Bolton.

That's the way that I'm increasingly looking at it. You can add as many cross-pond tags and references as you like, but a buyer in NYC searching for an automobile parked on the sidewalk is very unlikely to want to see a Ford Transit on the pavement in Milton Keynes.

Having said that, it's good to be aware of words which have become or are becoming used more across cultures. American  terms for things which used to be unknown in the UK are used more frequently these days as the old terms are used less and less (chemists is used far less in the UK now, in favour of pharmacy - though I still say chemists, if only to annoy my daughter!) Hasn't that always been the case?! Not just one-way traffic, though. The nature of world connectivity these days mean that cultures are more aware of each other than ever before. A shame that this hasn't led to an increase in mutual understanding, though! 

I have a similar problem with Scottish versus English words. I have to put both if it’s something in Scotland, but it’s unlikley those words would be known/used by anyone else.

eg

kirkyard churchyard

doocot dovecot

I draw the line at using messages for shopping.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks to this thread, I've now added about ten new keywords / phrases to my one and only image that contains a walker, walking frame, support walker, rollator, etc. It has now gone from orange to green.

:D:lol:

3 hours ago, losdemas said:

That's the way that I'm increasingly looking at it. You can add as many cross-pond tags and references as you like, but a buyer in NYC searching for an automobile parked on the sidewalk is very unlikely to want to see a Ford Transit on the pavement in Milton Keynes.

Having said that, it's good to be aware of words which have become or are becoming used more across cultures. American  terms for things which used to be unknown in the UK are used more frequently these days as the old terms are used less and less (chemists is used far less in the UK now, in favour of pharmacy - though I still say chemists, if only to annoy my daughter!) Hasn't that always been the case?! Not just one-way traffic, though. The nature of world connectivity these days mean that cultures are more aware of each other than ever before. A shame that this hasn't led to an increase in mutual understanding, though! 

I understand you all are pretty nice. That’s what counts most with me. And fiercely loyal, you lot. :)

Here you go, Betty:  https://www.boredpanda.com/british-american-english-differences-language/

And I'll toss in a few of these for you to use:  u u u u u u u

Having lived on both sides of the Pond, I speak both forms of English. In theory that is. Most people watch films and TV often enough to know the basics of each. Slang is hard, but buyers don't use a lot of slang when doing a search. 

This is curious.  British use the French for these veg, while Americans use Italian for one. Maybe we shouldn't worry about our English. And I think both Brits and Yanks might use French beans or Kenya beans, depending on the actual green bean.  :unsure:

british-american-english-differences-lan

5 hours ago, Sally said:

I have a similar problem with Scottish versus English words. I have to put both if it’s something in Scotland, but it’s unlikley those words would be known/used by anyone else.

eg

kirkyard churchyard

doocot dovecot

The lady who looks after allotment next to mine is of Scottish descent, and tells me that the Scots term for a veg plot is (or maybe was) the Kaleyard.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

This is curious.  British use the French for these veg, while Americans use Italian for one. Maybe we shouldn't worry about our English. And I think both Brits and Yanks might use French beans or Kenya beans, depending on the actual green bean.  :unsure:

Thanks Edo, just added Eggplant as a tag!

Archived