58 minutes ago, DDoug said:

Was it purchased new in the EU? I thought there was a mandatory 24-month warranty.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Agreed it should be repaired free of charge.

Allan

2 hours ago, Southpole said:

My Fujifilm X Pro 2 has died on me, needs a new shutter mechanism quoted £200 for repair. Camera is 20 months old

how many pictures taken during that period?

7 minutes ago, Southpole said:

Around 10,000

Don't Fuji suggest that their shutters will do a certain number of operations, like Canon and Nikon etc. I would expect 100,000 operations at least.

If they do then again it should be replaced FOC.

Allan

10 minutes ago, Southpole said:

Think we only get 12 months in the UK

Look this up.

Under EU law, consumers are offered a two-year guarantee in which sellers must repair or replace a faulty or not-fit-for-purpose item, but this right is trumped by the six-year warranty in the UK's own legislation. The right applies to any goods sold in the UK, so online retailers must also comply.16 Dec 2014

Shops accused of 'denying' six-year warranty right - Telegraph

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/.../Shops-accused-of-denying-six-year-warranty-right.html

Allan

This EU warranty and UK warranty is a bit confusing 

Warranty Terms and Conditions

The FUJIFILM standard warranty for United Kingdom is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase¹, please retain your original receipt as you will need to present this in the event of a claim.

I had a problem with my X.Pro 1 when it was out of warranty but with relatively low usage... when used in manual, altering shutter speed or aperture didn't do anything.... and looking on the internet, this seemed to be a problem for other users as well. I wrote a letter to Fuji and explained the problem and let them know that it was not acceptable to charge me for an inherent fault. They sent me packaging, post paid, repaired very quickly at no cost.... replaced the whole top plate. Very happy with that outcome from them !

5 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I had a problem with my X.Pro 1 when it was out of warranty but with relatively low usage... when used in manual, altering shutter speed or aperture didn't do anything.... and looking on the internet, this seemed to be a problem for other users as well. I wrote a letter to Fuji and explained the problem and let them know that it was not acceptable to charge me for an inherent fault. They sent me packaging, post paid, repaired very quickly at no cost.... replaced the whole top plate. Very happy with that outcome from them !

That's good customer service that's hope I get similar 

Sorry to hear about this. Bummer. It looks as if Fuji now only offers a one-year warranty here in Canada as well. Two-year warranties on older models are being honoured, though.

This is why I always take along a spare camera body when travelling. Fortunately, I've never had a camera or lens fail on me during a trip, but I know people who have.

I had the same thing happen with my D700. It was just out of warranty, around 8,000-12,000 clicks (I forget exactly - it was back in 2010). I was taking photos of two young kids jumping their horses and suddenly the continuous shooting stopped working. Embarrassing to be out with a client and of course I was still relatively new to this and did not have a backup camera - now I am never without one. 

I called Nikon to see how quickly I could get it fixed and they did it for free and even had me send it to their Long Island (NY) location since it was much closer to me, and rushed the repairs so I could get back out and re-shoot. Excellent customer service. I would hope Fuji would do the same. And perhaps under UK law they have to ... most warranties here in the US have language that basically says the warranty is #x years unless your state provides something different (i.e. longer). Good luck! 

AFAIK, the EU regulations state that the warranty is 24 months, 12 of which provided by the producer and further 12 provided by the seller (at least, if you bough your camera for personal use, for professional use by VAT-registered businesses the warranty is valid for 12 months overall). So it's no surprise that Fuji says their warranty is valid for 12 month, that's totally correct; yet, you still have possibly  a 24 months warranty by who sold you the camera.

57 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

The 'consumer' rights legislations are not applicable to equipment used for professional purposes....

Have you signed up for FPS? Fuji Professional Services? If not, why not...?

IMHO, the problem is not if he signed for FPS; while, if he, as a VAT registered professional, got a VAT-registered business invoice for the camera and reclaimed the VAT paid for the equipment. If so, the warranty is valid for 12 months only; otherwise (if bought from an EU-based seller for private use) the warranty should be valid for 24 months, regardeless of what the producer's warranty says. In the last case, he should contact the seller who must grant him a 2-year-long warranty against any camera defect and/or malfunction.
Sometimes, I myself, though I own a VAT-registered business, prefer to buy equiment as a private user because of the longer warranty.

On 07/01/2018 at 11:35, DDoug said:

Was it purchased new in the EU? I thought there was a mandatory 24-month warranty.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

You have to read the small print, unfortunately. The key bit is this:

The legal guarantee covers any defects presumed to have existed at the time of delivery and which become apparent within a period of two years. However, the crucial time period here is the six months following purchase:

• Any fault that appears within six months will be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. The seller must then repair or replace your phone free of charge - or reimburse you if repairs or replacement are impossible.
  • After six months, you can still hold the seller responsible for any defects during the full two-year guarantee period. However, if the seller contests this, you must be able to prove that the defect existed at the time of delivery. This is often difficult, and you will probably have to involve a technical expert.

(https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm)

In short, the 24-month warranty is really a 6-month warranty. This is an excellent example of how something can be talked up to make it seem more than it is. 

On 1/8/2018 at 03:48, RedSnapper said:

Have you signed up for FPS? Fuji Professional Services? If not, why not...?

I called Fuji USA the other day about this and they told me it only applies to the medium format GFX models.  Is Fuji offering FPS in Europe for all model cameras?

Rick

Archived