How concerned do you think I should be? As an example, I normally dip in to see if any photos have sold at least once every couple of days (it's becoming a bit of a rather enjoyable pastime/obsession to be honest). Thing is, when I am pleasantly surprised by a sale or two I then have quite a lot of difficulty, later in the day, trying to remember what actually sold. Likewise, when otherwise occupied, I think of questions to post in the discussion area but can I for the life of me remember what I wanted to say when I actually get round to logging in. Old age or something more worrying? Long term memory is pretty good though. :huh:

31 minutes ago, Jansos said:

How concerned do you think I should be? As an example, I normally dip in to see if any photos have sold at least once every couple of days (it's becoming a bit of a rather enjoyable pastime/obsession to be honest). Thing is, when I am pleasantly surprised by a sale or two I then have quite a lot of difficulty, later in the day, trying to remember what actually sold. Likewise, when otherwise occupied, I think of questions to post in the discussion area but can I for the life of me remember what I wanted to say when I actually get round to logging in. Old age or something more worrying? Long term memory is pretty good though. :huh:

Typical sign of stress, or older age. Not too much to worry about I suspect, but annoying.

6 hours ago, Jansos said:

Normal, normal, normal.

It’s when you forget the child born last in the extended family, one you’ve seen in person, that you need to worry. Or you want to go to a shop you’ve visited dozens of times but no longer remember how to get there.

You open several cabinets trying to find the cups that have been in the same place for years.

Your spouse tells you that you both will be visiting Billy come the weekend, then you accuse the spouse of “never telling you anything” when it’s time to leave.

I'm caregiver to that, but now it’s much, much worse.

Forgetting where you put your keys, set your coffee down, what closet you put your hat in....that’s normal, many times from being distracted.

Betty

1 hour ago, AlbertSnapper said:

..and going up the stairs then forgetting what you went up for when you get there.

I don't even need to go up the stairs. I can click to open a browser window and as soon as it's open forget what I wanted to browse.

Alan

1 hour ago, Southpole said:

Have you ever gone in a room and said to yourself why have I come in here?. ( Why ask yourself when you know you dont know)

Did that today, stood for a minute like the floor had the answer, then realised I was in the wrong room. lol

I also forget the photos that have sold the same day! Typical conversation with my wife. I've sold two photos today. What were they of? Well one was such and such, but the other I just can't recall.

More worryingly perhaps, I was driving home with  friends and involved in conversation when I realised that I didn't recognise where I was (we live in a new town with lots of roundabouts which all look very similar). Fortunately I spotted a sign directing me homeward so, I hope, no-one else in the car noticed this lapse. Mentioned this to the Mrs who confirmed that the same thing had happened to her. We're both doomed.....

I've often said that I don't do stock photography for the money; I do it to keep both mentally and physically active. 

I lost two close friends to dementia in the last few years. Betty describes the nature of this serious memory loss accurately. Neither of my friends ever admitted that they were having a serious problem. Did they suspect? I don't know. 

Normal memory surely does not improve with age, neither long or short term. When I lived in England, I wrote and presented memoirs on BBC Radio Oxford. I'm not sure I could do that now. 

Focus on these thoughts, Jansos: "Age is just a number" is pure BS. And nobody lives forever. (I hope I cheered him up.) 

Edo

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've often said that I don't do stock photography for the money; I do it to keep both mentally and physically active. 

I play FreeCell for the mental activity. I also regularly recite the entire Monty Python Word Association sketch to prove to myself that I'm not losing it.

Alan

15 hours ago, Jansos said:

I think you'll find this is an all too common a problem, but if you remember you've forgotten something don't worry too much.

I feel I'm a bit ahead of the game at my three-score-years-and-ten time of life, and for quite a while I've resorted to using notelets to write thing down I want to remember. Believe me, it helps!! Only trouble is I have slips of paper all over the place as I'm not a very tidy person. My family have observed this, and one of my presents last Christmas was a perpetual calendar with a stack of notelets built into the base - very useful.

One of the things I often do, and it makes me smile every time, is when I'm mounting prints and go to the cupboard for a pair of scissors, I open the door and find I'm staring in at the 'fridge. It reminds me where I should be!

Well, Happy New Year to you all. Now where is that note I made about my next submission theme........

Jim :) 

They say if you write something down - with pen and paper - you are more likely to remember it than if you type it on the computer. That's why paper calendars still make sense for a lot of people even though our iPhones will ping and remind us we have an appointment. 

Retracing your steps from the beginning can help you remember what you got up from your desk to do -- as well as where you left your reading glasses somewhere along the way. 

Sending hugs your way Betty. It really is one of the cruelest things to watch a loved one suffer with. 

Archived