JeffGreenberg

costs of living dropping to level of licensing fees?

In US at least;

Taco Bell & McDonald's expanding their $1 menus;

fast food race to the bottom...?

one Personal Use net $$ could cover a couple day's worth of eating???!!!!!

(IGNORING HEALTH FACTORS)

will tens of thousands of stock part timers start switching to full time...?

• Upvote 1

No 1 dollar menu in UK. A medium Big Mac meal costs £4-59 or 6-20 usd. No sign of deflation here.

11 minutes ago, andremichel said:

No 1 dollar menu in UK. A medium Big Mac meal costs £4-59 or 6-20 usd. No sign of deflation here.

Saver menu in the UK starts at 99p. 

Forget fast food. Oatmeal is the answer. Costs pennies a bowl, and it's actually good for you to boot.

One PU sale can keep you in the oats for at least a couple of months.

I’m dating myself, but I remember the salad days of early marriage when a box of cold cereal was one of the cheapest things I could buy, along with a can of soup. When times got tough, jobs were lost, the cereal and soup flew off the shelves.

Supply and demand..the manufacturers raised prices 100% and more.  Thus taking food out of the mouths of the hungry.

I could name a list of the foodstuffs that happened to. Most always, the food the poor bought.

Yes, I realize prices of everything increased.  Some, 10-20%, others in the same time span, doubled.

Back then, the cheapest things were cold/hot cereal, weiners, hamburger, soup, pork steak (lots of fat, gristle), beans, potatoes and macaroni. 

One PU might work for oatmeal for a couple of months, but forget a lot of it.

You may be able to eat (something meagre) with the meagre takings from a PU/Presentation sale, but with the price of rents, you'll be eating it on the streets! 

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Forget fast food. Oatmeal is the answer. Costs pennies a bowl, and it's actually good for you to boot.

One PU sale can keep you in the oats for at least a couple of months.

I'm with you on this.

Oats - eat as porridge, make in to biscuits etc.

Fills you up good and proper, and isn't wrapped up in packaging that ends up littering the countryside/streets.

45 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

I'm with you on this.

Oats - eat as porridge, make in to biscuits etc.

Fills you up good and proper, and isn't wrapped up in packaging that ends up littering the countryside/streets.

Those crafty Scots were way ahead of their time...

I think I can stretch to a new cardboard box for my underwater abode.

21 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Those crafty Scots were way ahead of their time...

Och aye... wrap sheep’s heart, lung, and liver in its stomach lining. No waste there. :)

Posted (edited)
On 1/6/2018 at 14:31, andremichel said:

On 1/6/2018 at 14:46, Avpics said:

Saver menu in the UK starts at 99p. 

You just get a small hamburger, no fries, no drink. That's just a snack not a meal. Is the $ menu in US the same thing?

Edited by andremichel

My first job, while in high school was stocking shelves at the local grocery.  Soup was .11 to .13 cents US per can.  Back then we marked all of the cans with the price, this was before scanners.  (Yes there was a time before scanners).   One winter we had a number of price increases and all the budget conscious shoppers would rip the shelves apart to get to the cans in the back which were often marked as much as .03 cents cheaper than the ones in the front.

And yes we were supposed to put the new cans in the back to rotate stock, but trust me that never happened.

Just looked online and that same can of soup now runs $1.39, same can, same label, same brand, same soup.

Oh, and you can go online, pick out your groceries, pay with a credit card and someone will pull everything from the shelf and bring it out to your car and put it in the trunk (boot) for you.  You never have to get out of the car.

6 hours ago, andremichel said:

You just get a small hamburger, no fries, no drink. That's just a snack not a meal. Is the $ menu in US the same thing?

Yes it is. One item for $1, although the single patty hamburger at McDonald’s I believe is .89.

Today, since a realtor was showing our house, I picked up two snack packs from Taco Bell for $5 each. In each box was a huge burrito, a regular taco, a layered big taco, a sack of cinnamon and sugar covered crunchy things and a soft drink. It was a lot of food.

I couldn’t finish it all. <burp>

Betty

Until about a month ago, I've had oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast every day for the past three years. Now I've decided to have something else one day a week. 

Posted (edited)

When I worked at MacDonald's back in high school (mid-70s) you could get change back from your dollar for a burger fries and a coke. We were entitled to $3 or $4 worth of food after working four hours and I'd end up bringing home a bunch of shakes and fries for my family. I eat much healthier now - we ate healthy then, too, and my mom, a great cook, would have a good dinner waiting for me, but no one could resist those fries and shakes LOL. (I think minimum wage was $1.20 so the free food nearly doubled what I was earning).

I lived on cold cereal and oatmeal as a law student, and macaroni. Still often have oatmeal for lunch with blueberries because it's healthy and filling and easy. Or for breakfast. It just annoys me that, since I can't have gluten, Quaker Oat's gluten-free oatmeal (yes, their regular oatmeal has gluten in it) comes in a container that costs a bit more and is considerably smaller than the regular container. Love that Irish oatmeal too (naturally gluten-free as it should be) but I am too lazy to stand at the stove and cook it some days, so I like to know that the instant is available. 

Edited by Marianne

10 hours ago, Zigzagmtart said:

My first job, while in high school was stocking shelves at the local grocery.  Soup was .11 to .13 cents US per can.  Back then we marked all of the cans with the price, this was before scanners.  (Yes there was a time before scanners).   One winter we had a number of price increases and all the budget conscious shoppers would rip the shelves apart to get to the cans in the back which were often marked as much as .03 cents cheaper than the ones in the front.

And yes we were supposed to put the new cans in the back to rotate stock, but trust me that never happened.

Just looked online and that same can of soup now runs $1.39, same can, same label, same brand, same soup.

Oh, and you can go online, pick out your groceries, pay with a credit card and someone will pull everything from the shelf and bring it out to your car and put it in the trunk (boot) for you.  You never have to get out of the car.

In NYC you don't even have to leave your apartment. Have groceries delivered, have meals delivered, have laundry picked up and delivered. It's amazing that we are not all fat. I guess that's because when we do go out we walk instead of driving and many of us live in walk-ups and do stairs. Lots of stairs in the subways too.

Paulette