what type of photo might sell in 2018

Shots related to the upcoming Brexit would do well I believe. As would themes surrounding immigration, austerity, security - 1984 stuff. Equal rights too, who knows. I shot this one the other day, it's a strong shot with a strong/trending theme and iconic place (Ipanema beach). I can see it being used in all sorts of media.

Posto 8 on Ipanema beach is a section where members of the LGBT community gather Stock Photo

I'm not an Alamy superstar like many on here though...:) 

22 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Shots related to the upcoming Brexit would do well I believe. As would themes surrounding immigration, austerity, security - 1984 stuff. Equal rights too, who knows. I shot this one the other day, it's a strong shot with a strong/trending theme and iconic place (Ipanema beach). I can see it being used in all sorts of media.

Posto 8 on Ipanema beach is a section where members of the LGBT community gather Stock Photo

Just curious how you feel now that you have nearly 5000 pictures here ? Is it not more difficult for a European than for native to sell something on Alamy ?

Just curious how you feel now that you have nearly 5000 pictures here ? Is it not more difficult for a European than for native to sell something on Alamy ?

Native as in UK-based I presume? I think it's a little more difficult, sure since lots of the buyers are UK-based (I don't know the estimated % but perhaps others may have a better idea). In any case, there's lots of British expats in PACA, so I can see lots of your images being used in their media.

Still lots of Non-UK buyers on here though, I tend to shoot a varied amount of subjects so I hope to appeal to a variety of clients. I've had a bit of a meteoric rise here with 5k images (adding about 2,500 in just the past year) so it's early days as the google bots do their work so let's see how I get on in a few months. Also, I admit that my keywording was mediocre until very recently which has been a factor in my relatively few sales. 

I really like this one:

winter-view-of-the-coastline-close-to-the-city-of-nice-france-between-KDGBT8.jpg

36 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Good idea on the Brexit Theme,and great photo by the way, i shall get my thinking cap on and start planning,

9 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Native as in UK-based I presume? I think it's a little more difficult, sure since lots of the buyers are UK-based (I don't know the estimated % but perhaps others may have a better idea). In any case, there's lots of British expats in PACA, so I can see lots of your images being used in their media.

Still lots of Non-UK buyers on here though, I tend to shoot a varied amount of subjects so I hope to appeal to a variety of clients. I've had a bit of a meteoric rise here with 5k images (adding about 2,500 in just the past year) so it's early days as the google bots do their work so let's see how I get on in a few months. Also, I admit that my keywording was mediocre until very recently which has been a factor in my relatively few sales. 

I slept for 3 years and just started uploading in September, so I hope now to be able to add 2000 photos/year. I also vary the subjects and fortunately it is not difficult in paca. ;) Thank you for your comment ! Wait and see.

I also vary the subjects and fortunately it is not difficult in paca. 

One of the most beautiful places in the world. I spent 3 weeks during the summer in Juan les Pins and visited lots around...most notably: Grasse, Eze, St. Paul de Vence. B)

I trust you'll get sales soon, especially with your plan to upload many more. Need the patience of a monk on here!

2 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

One of the most beautiful places in the world. I spent 3 weeks during the summer in Juan les Pins and visited lots around...most notably: Grasse, Eze, St. Paul de Vence. B)

I trust you'll get sales soon, especially with your plan to upload many more. Need the patience of a monk on here!

Nice places but full of tourists, especially in summer. But I believe this is the same for you in Italy. :) I was probably a shaolin monk in another life, now I have to become a image factory. Thanks Brasilnut.

In Canada it's going to be the year of weed, marijuana becomes legal for medical and recreational use in 2018, in Ontario the Liquor Control Board Of Ontario will set up stores to sell legal pot the first twenty this July. I'm guessing images illustrating marijuana will be popular over here.

9 minutes ago, Normspics said:

In Canada it's going to be the year of weed, marijuana becomes legal for medical and recreational use in 2018, in Ontario the Liquor Control Board Of Ontario will set up stores to sell legal pot the first twenty this July. I'm guessing images illustrating marijuana will be popular over here.

I'd say that's a good prediction. I had a "weed-related" sale not long ago.

Since Alamy is primarily an editorial agency, it's always a good idea to keep an eye on the media to see what's "trending" locally, in your own country, and around the world.

That said, just about any subject can license at any time. The 'post your latest sale' thread is testament to that.

39 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I'd say that's a good prediction. I had a "weed-related" sale not long ago.

Since Alamy is primarily an editorial agency, it's always a good idea to keep an eye on the media to see what's "trending" locally, in your own country, and around the world.

That said, just about any subject can license at any time. The 'post your latest sale' thread is testament to that.

It depends on events, which can often be unpredictable.  Keeping an eye on the local or national news is probably your best bet. Or spend your efforts on older images and make sure your captions and keywords are up to scratch. I’ve been working my way through a years worth of uploads. I’m currently on July 2017, so still some way to go, as it’s very time consuming.

But it’s a good way to spend cold wet days in Scotland in Winter.

On 1/6/2018 at 18:50, Normspics said:

OP is in the UK. It's still illegal here so not many opportunities.

8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Medical marijuana has been legal in Canada since 1999 (I believe). Laws have not been enforced much for possession either.  The 2018 law basically just puts a rubber stamp on things and turns distribution for recreational use into a business by the sound of it.

9 hours ago, funkyworm said:

With a bit of imagination the OP can make images alluding to the subject without ever having to go to Canada nor breaking any laws in the country she lives.

Easy for a Dutchman to say ... 

I hate to bring it up:

1. business

2. lifestyle

3. concepts

with contemporary styling and high production values.

Any indicators that shots selling well in 2018 are going to be different from the kinds that has been selling well for many years now?

GI

Extreme, or not so extreme, weather pics are always in demand. There's been hods of photos of the snow in NE America in the UK papers recently, but I've seen none from Alamy contributors. Somebody's missing a trick...

On 2018-01-08 at 03:22, spacecadet said:

So you fake it, you can illustrate the concept without having real pot. Do you think actors in movies are drinking whisky or apple juice? That big pile of cash in a movie is prop movie cash that anyone can buy, etc There are shops in the UK that sell pot paraphernalia, that would be worthy of a photo. You can still buy cigarette rolling paper and make a fake joint. Marijuana search on Alamy 26,893 results.

45 minutes ago, Normspics said:

So you fake it, you can illustrate the concept without having real pot. Do you think actors in movies are drinking whisky or apple juice? That big pile of cash in a movie is prop movie cash that anyone can buy, etc There are shops in the UK that sell pot paraphernalia, that would be worthy of a photo. You can still buy cigarette rolling paper and make a fake joint. Marijuana search on Alamy 26,893 results.

In my film days a few grains of instant coffee in water looked like whisky. I expect they still do but too much and it starts to taste 'orrible.

Alamy returns don't pay for props.  I think these chaps might have cost me half a euro though.

HCFYMH.jpgEKTJWW.jpg

Archived