Favourite images uploaded - Jan 2018

Brasilnut

I'll welcome you back to NYC in advance, Andy. All Alamy members are most welcome here. 

I am both a US and an Irish citizen, although born in Brooklyn. Some years ago in Sligo, I was introduced to a cousin, a nun who looked just like me. It was most disconcerting to see myself wearing the habit of a Sister of Charity. 

On 1/6/2018 at 16:19, vicky allum said:

Thank you Paulette for your feedback, i do see what you mean and will try this on my next photo taking day,i feel like i have alot to learn. vicky

And while we're about it Vicky,

grey-squirrel-in-a-nature-reserve-in-eng

is according to the caption a Grey Squirrel in a nature reserve, whilst

-JHX541.jpg

has neither caption nor keywords.

man-checks-out-beautiful-afro-brazilian-woman-walking-down-the-promenade-KX1BFW.jpg

Tall and tanned and young and lovely,
The girl from Ipanema goes walking
And when she passes, each one she passes goes, “Aaah…”
When she walks, she’s like a samba
That swings so cool and sways so gently
That when she passes, each one she passes goes, “Aaah…”
Oh, but he watches so sadly -
How can he tell her he loves her?
Yes, he would give his heart gladly,
But each day when she walks to the sea,
She looks straight ahead – not at he…
Tall and tan and young and lovely,
And when she passes, he smiles, but she doesn’t see…

Oh, but he watches her so sadly -
How can he tell her he loves her?
Yes, he would give his heart gladly,
But each day when she walks to the sea,
She looks straight ahead – not at he…
Tall and tanned and young and lovely,
And when she passes, he smiles, but she doesn’t see…
She just doesn’t see…
No, she doesn’t see…
But she doesn’t see…
She doesn’t see…
No, she doesn’t see…

This lovely little water temple in Bali rarely gets a visit from tourists. It was a killer walking down the 80 or so uneven moss covered steps down to the lower level of the temple while dressed in a full set of temple clothes in full sunshine. Getting back up the steps, which have no rails, was almost impossible - one step was higher than my knees, I had to kind of crawl on to it and then try to stand up. Even though it was only around 9am, the light was very harsh and it was amazingly hot and humid.

pura-mengening-bali-indonesia-is-a-holy-pura-mengening-bali-indonesia-is-a-holy-

On 1/10/2018 at 00:38, cbimages said:

This lovely little water temple in Bali rarely gets a visit from tourists. It was a killer walking down the 80 or so uneven moss covered steps down to the lower level of the temple while dressed in a full set of temple clothes in full sunshine. Getting back up the steps, which have no rails, was almost impossible - one step was higher than my knees, I had to kind of crawl on to it and then try to stand up. Even though it was only around 9am, the light was very harsh and it was amazingly hot and humid.

That's exactly why I love Europe and cold temperatures! Nice pics.

9 hours ago, Colblimp said:

That's exactly why I love Europe and cold temperatures! Nice pics.

Whatever floats your boat. I'm the opposite. Today is my last day deep in the Borneo primary rainforest. Rainy season, 100% humidity, about 34C, leeches and mosquitoes galore. Last night, we did a night walk through deep mud in the rainforest looking for tarantulas, insects, tarsiers and anything we could see. At one point, we got bitten by fire ants in the dark while ankle-deep in mud. Eery feeling. I came back with only one tiger leech (very photogenic). Guess what? I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. 

I'm going back home tonight. I'm catching three flights in a row, including a 8 hour one. Now that's the challenge...

Gen

There's a bit of a story to this photo. We were in Tulamben, Bali, on 26 November when Mt Agung erupted, and were evacuated just 8 days into our 30 day dive trip. As the volcano was just behind our hotel, we could see the ash & smoke heading south, so we decided to head north, to a hotel we've stayed at many times. And we planned to rent our friends car there and do some diving in north Bali. When we got to the hotel, the seas were rough and dirty brown....compliments of a cyclone in Java. So diving was out of the equation. We'd already spend a lot of time on north Bali a few months previously, so most of the things on my photo list had been shot. After asking around, we learned of a couple of temple ceremonies over the next few days. So off we went, to a small village temple which had probably never seen a tourist before, and not being sure of timing of "the procession", we went quite early. As we were hanging around outside, the temple attendants were setting things up and one came over to talk to us and invite us inside (we always dress in temple attire when visiting a temple in Bali). He asked could he talk to us for a while as he was trying to improve his english skills as his wife had recently passed away and he had applied to "go on the boats" (meaning he wanted to work on a cruise ship), so we chatted for a while and he introduced us to Kadek, his 5 year old son. I asked would it be alright to take photos inside the temple, and also of his son, and received permission for both. Sadly, I had not taken any model releases with me........I always feel that would be invasive for people going about their religious duties. Anyway, young Kadek decided to go and play with the gamelan instruments and I got this lovely photo of him.

young-boy-approximately-5-years-old-dres

On 13/01/2018 at 00:36, gvallee said:

Whatever floats your boat. I'm the opposite. Today is my last day deep in the Borneo primary rainforest. Rainy season, 100% humidity, about 34C, leeches and mosquitoes galore. Last night, we did a night walk through deep mud in the rainforest looking for tarantulas, insects, tarsiers and anything we could see. At one point, we got bitten by fire ants in the dark while ankle-deep in mud. Eery feeling. I came back with only one tiger leech (very photogenic). Guess what? I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. 

I'm going back home tonight. I'm catching three flights in a row, including a 8 hour one. Now that's the challenge...

Gen

Gen, I for one am very envious, I absolutely love being in the rainforest, it's like being in another world, quite an insult on the senses. Especially all the weird sounds at night! Borneo is definitely on my list now. Sadly, that list is so long. Enjoy!!! (apart form the tarantulas)

Set out to get the cathedral on the other side of the road, but the light wouldn't play nice so I pointed the camera down Llandaff Fields to ward off the despondency. Maybe one day it will be just what some client is after. No. 1 favourite this month so far is my faithful hound and Alamy subject Ruby.

llandaff-fields-in-mist-cardiff-KXP21X.j

a-dog-enjoying-exercise-on-the-sand-dune

9 hours ago, imageplotter said:

Gen, I for one am very envious, I absolutely love being in the rainforest, it's like being in another world, quite an insult on the senses. Especially all the weird sounds at night! Borneo is definitely on my list now. Sadly, that list is so long. Enjoy!!! (apart form the tarantulas)

Not only the sounds but the SMELL of the rainforest. Hmmm.... Pure magic. 

Borneo is not to be missed if you're into nature and wildlife. Sadly, Sabah has only one remaining stretch of rainforest along the river, sometimes less than 1km wide. That is all the poor wildlife including pygmy elephants, proboscis monkeys, etc, have left to go. Let me know if you want some tips.

Having a long list of destinations is exciting. Good on you!!

Gen 

David Bowie Huntsman (Heteropoda davidbowie), Borneo, Sabah, Malaysia 

(I kid you not, that's its name due to the line starting from its head like DB's album cover)

KYR2KP.jpg

Lantern Bug (Pyrops lampestris), Borneo, Sabah, Malaysia

KYR2HT.jpg

Common Bush Cricket (Nisitrus sp.) with parasitic mites, Borneo, Sabah, Malaysia

KYR2JN.jpg

Proboscis Monkey (Nasalis larvatus), Borneo, Sabah, Malaysia

KYY197.jpg

KYY18N.jpg

KYY1AT.jpg

Long-tailed Macaque (Macaca fascicularis) 

KYY1G5.jpg

KYY1DX.jpg

KYY1FN.jpg

Endangered Bornean Sun Bear (Helarctos malayanus)

KYY1H3.jpg

On 17/01/2018 at 21:38, gvallee said:

Not only the sounds but the SMELL of the rainforest. Hmmm.... Pure magic. 

Borneo is not to be missed if you're into nature and wildlife. Sadly, Sabah has only one remaining stretch of rainforest along the river, sometimes less than 1km wide. That is all the poor wildlife including pygmy elephants, proboscis monkeys, etc, have left to go. Let me know if you want some tips.

Having a long list of destinations is exciting. Good on you!!

Gen 

Thank you Gen, I may well come back to asking you for tips on Borneo!!

On 17/01/2018 at 21:20, British Gent said:

Set out to get the cathedral on the other side of the road, but the light wouldn't play nice so I pointed the camera down Llandaff Fields to ward off the despondency. Maybe one day it will be just what some client is after. No. 1 favourite this month so far is my faithful hound and Alamy subject Ruby.

llandaff-fields-in-mist-cardiff-KXP21X.j

I really like this one. It's ethereal.

Archived