2 hours ago, Marb said:

That's a great return Doc, Hat off to you sir. I could comfortably live off that for the whole year with my wife. In the meantime I have to settle for a measly $144 for the whole year.

I will try and add a lot more editorial and see what 2018 brings but as it stands I don't have much optimism ^_^ 

I dont pretend to take great images, but I do spend plenty of time firstly trying to consider what someone would want to use them for, and secondly trying to keyword them properly. However as a good stock photographer, sadly now absent from this forum would always say, "Stock is ultimately a numbers game"

Kumar (the Doc one)

11 short of last year's 317 licenses for a few hundred more £'s. 

The graph shows sales steadily increasing year on year till now so I'm not sure how to explain this drop. 

Possibly because I was in LA & Portland for almost a month without uploading which I tend to do every day when I am home.  

Kathy

4 hours ago, Doc said:

821 sales for $27,117 gross - for the first time ever both sale numbers and gross income down about 4% on 2016 (but 2017 still 2nd BYE)  - I blame the changes of 5/12/16 which basically reduced the sales/income in the first half of 2017. Things improved in the following few months but then with what appeared to be a re-rank I went down slightly.

Number of images has increased by about 1000 in 2017 to the present 22,007; 98% RM, 2% RF, no Alamy News sales, all editorial, mainly general UK and travel. 

For 2018, more travel!!!!

Best wishes to all for the New Year

Kumar (the Doc one)

ps. cant post images here as I have no formal website, but images on social media string...

Holy mother of god - that's amazing!!! :o Congrats!

5 hours ago, Doc said:

For 2018, more travel!!!!

Best wishes to all for the New Year

Kumar (the Doc one)

For 2018, I'm thinking "travel less"! But I've already booked my flights to London for April - May during Prince Harry's wedding.

My last year or so:

Link to my photography blog

I am pleased, John.

My situation with Alamy continues to improve, as I keep growing my collection. Prices in general are not as good as they once were, but of the 15 sales I had in December, one was for $175, another for $100. 

33 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I am pleased, John.

My situation with Alamy continues to improve, as I keep growing my collection. Prices in general are not as good as they once were, but of the 15 sales I had in December, one was for $175, another for $100. 

Good for you. It shows that relatively "low-volume" types like us can still do well on Alamy.

Alamy... 195 sales

Average licensing fees are pathetic, (I'm not going to broadcast the amount, it's far too depressing) It's certainly not worth going out of my way to shoot for general stock.

I just add the occasional pic from day trips, etc.

Elsewhere... not quite so many sales, (I'm not saying where but there are other boutique agencies still paying decent prices for original work).

Average royalties = $265 net.

Maybe some togs need to look around for other markets to sell their images.

14 hours ago, Doc said:

I dont pretend to take great images, but I do spend plenty of time firstly trying to consider what someone would want to use them for, and secondly trying to keyword them properly. However as a good stock photographer, sadly now absent from this forum would always say, "Stock is ultimately a numbers game"

Kumar (the Doc one)

I think you are right as everyone here that has told me how well they are doing have incredibly large portfolios so I suppose unfortunately that is the key unless you have a multi million dollar news image.

9 hours ago, Tony said:

Alamy... 195 sales

Average licensing fees are pathetic, (I'm not going to broadcast the amount, it's far too depressing) It's certainly not worth going out of my way to shoot for general stock.

I just add the occasional pic from day trips, etc.

Elsewhere... not quite so many sales, (I'm not saying where but there are other boutique agencies still paying decent prices for original work).

Average royalties = $265 net.

Maybe some togs need to look around for other markets to sell their images.

This is the point I have been trying to make regarding the actual fees for each sale (if reported) they are pathetic and pretty much on par with some microstock sales. If sales were  1) regular, 2) Higher priced I would have no hesitation of becoming exclusive here but sadly my microstock earnings are essential to my income stream, having said that I am adding a lot more editorial images here as exclusive.

9 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Don't want to be a downer but so far there has been no mention of COSTS.

I've barely scratched the costs of my last big trip to Asia in 2015.:(

I think this subject deserves its own thread.

I wonder whether travel stock photography as a serious business is dead, certainly if you rely only on Alamy. It takes far too many years to break even.  

19 hours ago, Doc said:

821 sales for $27,117 gross - for the first time ever both sale numbers and gross income down about 4% on 2016 (but 2017 still 2nd BYE)  - I blame the changes of 5/12/16 which basically reduced the sales/income in the first half of 2017. Things improved in the following few months but then with what appeared to be a re-rank I went down slightly.

Well done Doc on a great return. Keep going for 2018!

From North of the border in Norfolk,

Jim :)

2017_volume1_thumb.jpg

2017_revenue_thumb.jpg

2016 sales volume 135

2017 sales volume 164 - up 21%

2016 revenue $3259

2017 revenue $4009 - up 23%

2016 7462 on sale

2017 8802 on sale  - up 18%

2016 average sale $44 

2017 average sale $46 - up 2.5%

John.

PS. can't get the graphs any bigger!

20 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Can we just clarify- average sale isn't the same as RPI. $46 RPI would be a gross of $400000!

Ooops! I wish!!

Suitably edited.

John.

Volume +10.7% year-on-year (my best year ever)

Revenue -16.5% year-on-year (but still second best year ever)

Highest value sale $125

Lowest value sale $6.05 (Newspaper Scheme of course!)

Average value per sale down from $45.58 (2016) to $34.35 (2017)

Travel images still selling most for me.

Still plodding through updating my image keywords in AIM but not obvious yet that it is making much difference...

65 sales for $3920 gross / $1930 net.  Plus $110 for DACS to both.  The best year in number of sales but not revenue.

Number of sales up 3 or 5% from last year.  Net revenue (including DACS in both years ) up 18%.

2012 was my prior best year for both sales and revenue.  Compared to 2012 sales according to the Alamy Dashboard were up 1 or 1.6%.  Interestingly, I only have 51 sales on my spreadsheet for sales compared to 64 for Alamy but gross revenue is very close to the dashboard -- must have had a number of Novel Use or something 2012 that I didn't bother including.  By my numbers, gross income was down 34% and net income was down 42%  (I've forgotten when the change was made from 60% to 50% for the contributor.  This might account for the difference).  Average number of images in 2017 was 13,122 compared to 10,140 in 2012 for in increase of 29.4%.  Completely consistent with what everyone is reporting on lower sales prices.

Robert

On 29/12/2017 at 20:09, Robert Convery said:

I had 225 sales, for $4859 gross.

Sales volume was a record but I had over $5000 gross for each of the last four years.

In 2013 sales volume was 165 for over $5000 which shows how much prices have fallen.

Robert, that is an excellent return on such a relatively small port. I also see your descriptions and keywording are minimal to say the least! Which shows you don’t need many words and long, detailed descriptions to sell images here.

What would be helpful on Alamy would to be able to view images in order of sales preference to see what customers are mostly buying.

Archived