The year ends with a pathetic $144 for the whole year (a decent month on one microstock site) and I uploaded a lot of new, editorial work too this year. I see not much hope for 2018 at this rate.  Re-tagging etc has no effect.

Abysmal returns :(

18 minutes ago, Marb said:

The year ends with a pathetic $144 for the whole year (a decent month on one microstock site) and I uploaded a lot of new, editorial work too this year. I see not much hope for 2018 at this rate.  Re-tagging etc has no effect.

Abysmal returns :(

"At this rate", probably not much. You seem to have put up about 300 this year. For reference I've put up 1300. As a percentage of port size though it's about the same.

As to returns, in fact your RPI isn't all that bad, comparatively.

111 licences for the year.

Added about 130 images to my collection during the year.

Highest was $350.00, for a magazine editorial use (DPS), a nice surprise.

Interestingly, I had a use by the UK's political Labour Party, for use in posters/brochures/marketing. Shows a group of clearly identifiable people. I'd of thought model releases would have been required, but I don't have any for the people in the picture. Don't know the rules on that situation....

Still have a few unreported uses. July uses by the BBC (web) and Conde Nast (print) remain unreported :angry:

Happy New Year All !

2 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Interestingly, I had a use by the UK's political Labour Party, for use in posters/brochures/marketing. Shows a group of clearly identifiable people. I'd of thought model releases would have been required, but I don't have any for the people in the picture. Don't know the rules on that situation....

I'd definitely take that up with Support.

If I found myself in a flyer for a party/cause I was dead against, I'd be onto my lawyer in seconds.

12 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

If I found myself in a flyer for a party/cause I was dead against, I'd be onto my lawyer in seconds.

It's not a problem for the photographer if he represented the images properly.

Incidentally, does Scotland have right of personality then? England doesn't and simply featuring in an image used by a registered political party doesn't strike me as defamatory per se. I might not be too happy about it, but that's not the same as having legal recourse.

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Incidentally, does Scotland have right of personality then? England doesn't.

Yes, but English law has 'passing off', which for example could come into place if you were a well known X supporter and appeared in promotional material for anti-X entities, making you look like a hypocrite (in law, 'reputation').

I'd thought of that. I certainly don't have a 'reputation' of that sort but perhaps you do. I suppose the whole country wouldn't have to see it, just your friends or associates. After all Irvine v Talksport was only about 1000 letters. At least he had better luck than Uncle Mac.

You'd certainly want it taken down though.

1 hour ago, Cryptoprocta said:

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Model Release tick box = No.

I don't have a problem with the picture, but then I'm not one of the people in the photograph who may oppose the context of use.

It shows something that happens in many countries around the world.

In my original post I just wanted to highlight a couple of interesting sales that occurred in 2017.

The $350 for editorial magazine use that I also mention, I guess that was from a client that does not normally deal with Alamy ...so hence a higher price ?

Photo is of nothing unusual/eventful. So thanks to Alamy for getting that !

Sales volume up 29%, which is roughly  inline with the increase in folio size during 2017.
Revenue up 14%, and happy to say average price per image still at just over $40.00.
Hence very hopeful for 2018!
:)

84 sales for $2064 gross. Volume up 8% from 2016, revenue down 9%

I'm reasonably pleased  because moving house , and to a new area, has caused some disruption and a need to generate new contacts, find new locations for images etc. Feeling positive for 2018.

On 31/12/2017 at 11:51, AlbertSnapper said:

111 licences for the year.

Added about 130 images to my collection during the year.

Highest was $350.00, for a magazine editorial use (DPS), a nice surprise.

Still have a few unreported uses. July uses by the BBC (web) and Conde Nast (print) remain unreported :angry:

Happy New Year All !

That happened to me. I spotted an image online and checked, it wasn’t reported in my sales and had to flag it up otherwise it would have gone under the radar and I wouldn’t have got paid. I wonder how many other images are used without us knowing if they don’t get reported ?

821 sales for $27,117 gross - for the first time ever both sale numbers and gross income down about 4% on 2016 (but 2017 still 2nd BYE)  - I blame the changes of 5/12/16 which basically reduced the sales/income in the first half of 2017. Things improved in the following few months but then with what appeared to be a re-rank I went down slightly.

Number of images has increased by about 1000 in 2017 to the present 22,007; 98% RM, 2% RF, no Alamy News sales, all editorial, mainly general UK and travel. 

For 2018, more travel!!!!

Best wishes to all for the New Year

Kumar (the Doc one)

ps. cant post images here as I have no formal website, but images on social media string...

31 for 1176

Sales volume up ~7%; 

Gross revenue down ~11%

Considering that I've been able to upload very little during 2017, that's not bad. The first six months were very good overall (at one point, it looked like I was going to double 2016 on all fronts) - then it just died and both October and December passed with zero sales. 

The recent 're-rank' has seen my images in some very decent positions when performing some very broad searches, which will hopefully result in some sales early in the New Year, but it is very clear to me that I've got some serious work ahead if I want to advance (or even tread water!) here at all. Re-tagging; image culling; significantly more uploads; and considerable thought into exactly what to upload (as well as some experimentation), are all going to need my full attention - or I may as well not bother. I am well aware that the re-ranks or reconfiguration of the search engine algorithm doesn't stay still or last forever, so I need to be sure that I get the hay in while the sun shines. 

Most frustrating is the misuse and abuse of image licensing here. More so, when you find clear and obvious examples of misuse of PU or presentation licences; present them to Alamy and then it's sat on for months on end. With such a small portfolio and so few sales, it's easy to wind up misdirecting your time and efforts to chasing these up, when you should be concentrating on increasing/improving your portfolio. :angry:

2 hours ago, Doc said:

821 sales for $27,117 gross - for the first time ever both sale numbers and gross income down about 4% on 2016 (but 2017 still 2nd BYE)  - I blame the changes of 5/12/16 which basically reduced the sales/income in the first half of 2017. Things improved in the following few months but then with what appeared to be a re-rank I went down slightly.

Number of images has increased by about 1000 in 2017 to the present 22,007; 98% RM, 2% RF, no Alamy News sales, all editorial, mainly general UK and travel. 

For 2018, more travel!!!!

Best wishes to all for the New Year

Kumar (the Doc one)

ps. cant post images here as I have no formal website, but images on social media string...

That's a great return Doc, Hat off to you sir. I could comfortably live off that for the whole year with my wife. In the meantime I have to settle for a measly $144 for the whole year.

I will try and add a lot more editorial and see what 2018 brings but as it stands I don't have much optimism ^_^ 

Archived