colinp

The Good Old Days

7 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

I just had a gross $2.20 RM sale "novelty use". If this isn't a micro-sale I don't know what is... 

Surely you know the difference between a low fee for an NU licence and a micro stock licence - you just like to pretend otherwise.

Surely you know the difference between a low fee for an NU licence and a micro stock licence - you just like to pretend otherwise.

I do, just surprised with the low amounts for this RM license. On the other hand, there's the other extreme of the bell-curve with those shocking yet rare $1k so it's fine. 

On 30/12/2017 at 11:17, colinp said:

That was the amazing thing, both were very ordinary shots especially windsor castle where the sky was terrible but which sold for $8000. It was used by dupont in a global advertising campaign where a glass fascade was placed as a layer over my image - it worked for them ! Up until then I uploaded only my best work, after that sale I uploaded virtually everything.... oh and I received 70% - $5600  but exchange rate was 1 GBP=2 USD !

windsor-castle-queens-residence-london-e

Out of interest (because I probably categorise most of my images far too conservatively as containing property and may well be losing out on sales that way) - would the statue of Queen Victoria (?) not have some sort of copyright on it that would make it tricky to use this in a commercial advertising campaign? (assuming the grounds around Windsor Castle are public/shot from public land?) Or did the client in that case buy the image knowing there was property in the image? In any case, agree that was a very impressive sale!

1 hour ago, imageplotter said:

Out of interest (because I probably categorise most of my images far too conservatively as containing property and may well be losing out on sales that way) - would the statue of Queen Victoria (?) not have some sort of copyright on it that would make it tricky to use this in a commercial advertising campaign? (assuming the grounds around Windsor Castle are public/shot from public land?) Or did the client in that case buy the image knowing there was property in the image? In any case, agree that was a very impressive sale!

Isn't copyright 70 years after the death of the creator? Presumably safe for a statue of Queen Victoria assuming it is of its time.

25 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Isn't copyright 70 years after the death of the creator? Presumably safe for a statue of Queen Victoria assuming it is of its time.

Yes, quite possibly. I wish there was more clarity around all that, I've marked far too many of my pics as containing property just to be on the safe side, probably a bad  decision. 

13 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

Yes, quite possibly. I wish there was more clarity around all that, I've marked far too many of my pics as containing property just to be on the safe side, probably a bad  decision. 

I do the same but copyright and the need for a PR are not the same in my mind. 

52 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

I've done the same because I figure that someone else probably owns the property now -- i.e. "property" has a habit of changing hands.

On 03/01/2018 at 17:29, John Mitchell said:

I joined in 2003 but didn't start submitting until mid 2007. Boy, was that a dumb move.

That said, I don't think it's ever too late. In ten years' time these will be considered "the good old days".

Will there be any active contributors left in 10 years time?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, andremichel said:

That is my intention.

This is the best job on the world:D

Edited by geogphotos

30 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

That is my intention.

This is the best job on the world:D

There is no denying its appeal and I wish I could make it pay a living wage. But wth continued deterioration in rpi, might you ever decide it wasn't worth the time, effort and cost to produce new images for stock? 

10 minutes ago, andremichel said:

There is no denying its appeal and I wish I could make it pay a living wage. But wth continued deterioration in rpi, might you ever decide it wasn't worth the time, effort and cost to produce new images for stock? 

Might I ever decide? Yes. 

But for the immediate to indefinite future I'm committed. 

1 hour ago, andremichel said:

I hope so. But only if it's profitable.

I don't do it for love !

5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Might I ever decide? Yes. 

But for the immediate to indefinite future I'm committed. 

I'll pop back in 2028 to check 😀

1 hour ago, andremichel said:

I'll pop back in 2028 to check 😀

I'll meet you on the bridge at midnight:D

12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I'll meet you on the bridge at midnight:D

He's from Suffolk. There aren't any bridges.

You'll have to use one of these

JYEE2T.jpg

or these

JAYF4N.jpg

On 06/01/2018 at 11:40, spacecadet said:

He's from Suffolk. There aren't any bridges.

You'll have to use one of these

JYEE2T.jpg

or these

JAYF4N.jpg

No images but how about these.

Homersfield Bridge

Orwell Bridge

Somerleyton Swing Bridge

Stoke Bridge

Allan;)

On 5/1/2018 at 10:28, mickfly said:

It's a shame we both get a red arrow for an opinion!

Yes, but that seems to be life nowadays.