Free alternative to Lightroom

Just seen details of a free alternative to Lightroom, which has just been released for Windows. It's called darktable 2.4.0 available from https//github.com/darktable-org/darktable/release/tag/release-2.4.0 I am not a Lightroom user, but know lots of people use or aspire to it, so maybe this could be of interest. If it is any good, please comment, as I for one would be interested.

Paul

I use it, very happy with it but then I've never used LR.

I think if I had already been a LR user I probably would have found the different interface frustrating as I never made the switch from Photoshop to Gimp despite trying.

While not free, I purchased Serif Affinity for my Mum as a present over Christmas. Currently it's available for £38.99 which is a one-off (it currently has 20% off it's normal price of £48.99):

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

I'm an Adobe CC user myself, but a quick click around in Affinity and a watch of some of the tutorials (of which there are many online) gave me a very positive first impression and I got the sense that for me at least, it would do everything that I do in Lightroom and Photoshop. I will stop and see how my Mum gets on with it and then might even try it myself.

24 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

While not free, I purchased Serif Affinity for my Mum as a present over Christmas. Currently it's available for £38.99 which is a one-off (it currently has 20% off it's normal price of £48.99):

I'm an Adobe CC user myself, but a quick click around in Affinity and a watch of some of the tutorials (of which there are many online) gave me a very positive first impression and I got the sense that for me at least, it would do everything that I do in Lightroom and Photoshop. I will stop and see how my Mum gets on with it and then might even try it myself.

I persuaded my wife to purchase this yesterday from the App Store, as she needed a photo editing program on her oldish Mac to go through her snapshots and organise them for scrapbook printing. This was to avoid temporarily deactivating CC on my laptop or trying to install my perpetual PSCS6 (and then spend the day teaching her the basics). I only had a quick look but it seems very good, probably better specs than Photoshop Elements it seems from an initial glance. As you say there are lots of tutorials and it seems easy to use. She was up and running with it in no time with only a little help from me. 

21 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

i use Affinity for the last few weeks, and for £40 it is a steal. I used to use PS extensively, but refuse to pay subscription. Affinity for my needs does the same job. There is a learning curve, but it is a good software. However, for RAW development it is VERY limited for the time being. I still use Capture One Express (free for Sony), and then when needed I use Affinity on approximately 1-2% of images.

Archived