If Alamy has objects to this topic, I will not be offended if it is deleted or closed. In a stock photo talk of late, we drifted into other areas, mostly music, so I thought this post might be useful. 

I've know a lot of photographers who were also musicians. Art Kane comes to mind. And some celeb music people did or do photography rather well:  Moby, Graham Ash, Lou Reed. They are both arts that call on the intuitive side of the artist. 

I don't play an instrument so I can't call myself a musician, but writing music is as important a part of my creative output as photography. So I understand the correlation between the two. Back in the 70s I dreamed of the day when I would be able to afford the audiovisual equipment to create visual/musical works of art. My recent move into video gave me the opportunity to realise this dream.

Alan

And Beatle wife Linda McCartney was a photographer and Wings musician too (and cook!).

And born with the surname 'Eastman' too ! (as in Kodak)

I'm now playing Neil Young, LOUDLY. I hope the guests in the holiday cottage next to my home don't mind.

Does Neil make photographs ?

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh, I forgot about Mr. Parks. Did I ever tell you I interviewed John Dominis, Paulette?  https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Image-Ed-Rooney/dp/B00185WPUE

I took a Cibachrome class with George Obremski. I see he is in your book. He was a good teacher and was doing very well in stock at the time. I wonder about now. He has a very complete and severe copyright notice on his website...

Copyright Notice

All photographs, text and html coding appearing in the George Obremski site are the exclusive intellectual property of George Obremski and are protected under United States and international copyright laws. 

The intellectual property MAY NOT BE DOWNLOADED except by normal viewing process of the browser. The intellectual property may not be copied to another computer, transmitted , published, reproduced, stored, manipulated, projected, or altered in any way, including without limitation any digitization or synthesizing of the images, alone or with any other material, by use of computer or other electronic means or any other method or means now or hereafter known, without the written permission of George Obremski and payment of a fee or arrangement thereof.

No images are within Public Domain. Use of any image as the basis for another photographic concept or illustration is a violation of copyright. Please note that these images are not royalty free and a fee is required for each specific usage. This include the use of any of these images for the use in web pages. Use of any image for the basis of another work is a violation of copyright. All images on this web page are Copyrighted George Obremski. Entering this site constitutes an agreement to these terms 

George Obremski vigorously protects copyright interests. In the event that an infringement is discovered you will be notified and invoiced at the minimum 10x the STANDARD FEE for unauthorized usage and/or prosecuted for Copyright Infringement in U S Federal Court where you will be subject to a fine of US $150,000 statutory damages as well as all court costs and attorneys' fees. By entering this site you are agreeing to be bound by the terms of this agreement. Entrance to site is expressly on these conditions which embodies all of the understandings and obligations between the parties hereto. ALL ENTRIES ARE LOGGED.

Good for him, I say. His work is beautiful.

Paulette

5 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I don't play an instrument so I can't call myself a musician, but writing music is as important a part of my creative output as photography. So I understand the correlation between the two. Back in the 70s I dreamed of the day when I would be able to afford the audiovisual equipment to create visual/musical works of art. My recent move into video gave me the opportunity to realise this dream.

Alan

If we use a strict dictionary definition of musician, I guess you're right, Alan -- which means I'm no longer a musician either. I used to play drums, double bass, and Spanish guitar long ago, as well as trumpet. I kept at the guitar until it blew up hanging on my wall six years ago. I've not been able to find another guitar that feels right to me. 

When I came back to the States from Oxfordshire in the early '90s, I worked my way through the Hindemith books and got my step son to explain modal harmony. I did some ghost writing for films and TV ads for a guy I used to play with long ago. I used a Korg M1 keyboard synthesizer for composing and orchestrating, which my friend would then record with live players in LA, if the client went for the music. Ultimately, it didn't work out. 

Edo

8 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

And Beatle wife Linda McCartney was a photographer and Wings musician too (and cook!).

And born with the surname 'Eastman' too ! (as in Kodak)

I'm now playing Neil Young, LOUDLY. I hope the guests in the holiday cottage next to my home don't mind.

Does Neil make photographs ?

I don't know if Neil Young is into photography, but he's one of my favourite geriatric (like me) rockers. I've been listening to this one a lot lately.

I believe that Bryan Adams and Ringo Starr have published books of their photos.

9 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

When including wives and girlfriends, Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead had a girlfriend by the name of Florence Nathan who is an avid photographer who now goes by Rosie McGee: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/grateful-deads-first-decade-captured-in-new-photo-memoir-20120801/1968-bill-kreutzmann-golden-gate-park-san-francisco-0500067

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

If we use a strict dictionary definition of musician, I guess you're right, Alan -- which means I'm no longer a musician either. I used to play drums, double bass, and Spanish guitar long ago, as well as trumpet. I kept at the guitar until it blew up hanging on my wall six years ago. I've not been able to find another guitar that feels right to me. 

When I came back to the States from Oxfordshire in the early '90s, I worked my way through the Hindemith books and got my step son to explain modal harmony. I did some ghost writing for films and TV ads for a guy I used to play with long ago. I used a Korg M1 keyboard synthesizer for composing and orchestrating, which my friend would then record with live players in LA, if the client went for the music. Ultimately, it didn't work out. 

Edo

You should dive back in Ed, it's a barrel of laughs ....
I play guitar and harmonica in a pub band comprised of a varying number of geriatrics like myself (numbers vary between four and eight of us - depends on who shows up.) We rehearse most weeks, and gig about twice a year. Basically we're a load of oldies making a lot of noise, truly, a barrel of laughs.

:D

3 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Correlation for me = source of income via self-employment = under-someone's-thumb-employee avoidance;

had growing-to-full-time songwriting mail order service approx 1984-87;

customers (lots of repeat business) sent me their poems-lyrics, I created melodies & "polished" words to verses-choruses,

paid local pro musicians & singers to record at my residence;

very occasionally, had one with my lyrics-melody recorded for amusement:

http://www.photosphotos.net/LoveFromYou.mp3 (remember, melody & words stuck in the 1980s)

(some minor errors, really wanted a pop sound rather than country, but...)

Why did I stop?  I moved from rural to various urban-apt-condo noise-sensitive residences...

but more mornings than not, another new dreamed melody wakes me up...& then is lost forever...

Once upon a time, long long ago...a princess...oops, it’s not a fairy tale, is it? an Opthalmologist’s assistant was a part of a trio. I played a guitar (not well) but my gig was singing with my sister and my mom, while my sister’s husband played guitar. We were country all the way. We were booked to do small fry stuff in a small town of about 11,000 souls.  Organizations parties, women’s clubs, like I said, small fry stuff. 

We never sought to do it.

We used to go camping at Tenkiller lake in SE Oklahoma. After sunset, Ike brought out his guitar, we’d gather around the camp lantern and sing.  Pretty soon, the music drew other campers who dragged their camp chairs over, sat with a cold beer and enjoyed the music.

Some of those campers were from our town, and in the way of small towns, the word got around. That’s how we were requested to sing at meetings and parties.

My American friends might have heard of an old-timer called Jimmy Rogers who was very successful. He sang things like Mule Skinner Blues. Depression era music, maybe, or 40s.  My mother, who listened to him on the radio, loved his singing and could sing all of his songs and do a bang-up job including the yodeling parts. Jimmy Rogers was before my time but I grew up hearing her sing those old-timy songs and often harmonized with her. Many a dish was washed and dried by us two while singing together.

She was good. When people came to our campsite (the same people came from year to year at the same time we did), and once they ever heard my mother sing a Jimmy Roger’s song, they begged her to sing every year. Milk Cow Blues, whatever. She was very shy and unassuming and her arm was twisted very hard to get her to sing in front of others.  Once she got going, the nerves went away. At the end of a song, the applause was long and hard. Bless her.

Betty

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'll quit while I'm almost ahead, TC. Remember Toots?  He reinvented the harmonica. Did you play chromatic or a blues harp? 

Ed, I just play diatonic (blues) harp. I do own a chromatic, but it's way beyond my ability level. Fortunately, we're more about fun than we are about professionalism, and all our (extremely occasional) gigs are in pubs and bars. The alcoholic intake of the audience usually ensures us a reasonable reception...

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I don't know if Neil Young is into photography, but he's one of my favourite geriatric (like me) rockers. I've been listening to this one a lot lately.

Not heard of his photo interests, but he is (was?) part owner of a model railway manufacturing company and invented remote radio control systems for the trains. So creativity of a different kind. 

My musical talents are meagre, played the clarinet and recorders from an early age. Clarinet too much like hard work these days but still try to struggle through  baroque music on the recorder. My wife is more accomplished, playing piano/keyboard at home and accordion for a local folk dance group. However I enjoy playing music and, even if it's not fit for others humans to consume, we get pleasure from playing music together. It's a pity that playing music at home seems to be dying out, once upon a time most people played something or other. We tried to get our sons interested, but despite signs of talent and various exams passed etc, they have both allowed it to lapse. Too many diverting alternatives these days perhaps.

We looked after the grandchildren for a few days last week and, while driving them home, were pleasantly surprised that they would and could sing Xmas carols together, we're hoping for a family sing along when we all get together tomorrow.

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

That's what I enjoy about Youtube....lots of great clips of performances (may not be copyright legal though), unseen clips, different versions, videos, studio demos,  etc etc of your favourite acts.

Lots of great musicians mentioned here who are also photographers.

Here's another.... Rock guitar god astrophysicist badger saviour Brian May of Queen. Stereo photography is his thing, from the Victorian era to present day Queen concerts !

http://www.londonstereo.com/index.html

Happy Christmas all !

13 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

more mornings than not, another new dreamed melody wakes me up...& then is lost forever...

I've been lucky. If they're any good they stick in my mind. Some of them I've been carrying around in my grey cells for 40 years. I know exactly how they should all sound but it's just finding the time to record them, which if you can't play an instrument is a lot more time-intensive than photography.

Alan

I awoke this Christmas morning thinking I might at last know how to insert an image into the 2017 forum.

Nothing to do with music, but this snap of a simple glass of water has got me humming, It sold in Estonia for the princely sum of $2.26 gross.  

Happy Christmas, all!

a-plastic-glass-with-ice-water-on-an-old

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My American friends might have heard of an old-timer called Jimmy Rogers who was very successful. He sang things like Mule Skinner Blues. Depression era music, maybe, or 40s.  M

You don't have to be American to have heard of Jimmy Rodgers. Country music was huge in Ireland when I was growing up and it is still going strong although it has evolved somewhat since the 50s and 60s. Country, bluegrass and Americana in general have very strong roots in Ireland (and Scotland) imported by immigrants over the centuries and there is a definite two way connection.

It's not just Ireland either. Dolly Parton topped the bill hit and was a massive hit among young and old at a recent Glastonbury (England) festival which I think is probably the biggest music festival in Britain. It is certainly the most famous.

Archived