Surprise at release forms

yanmac

Hi, I'm just waiting for my first three submissions to be accepted, and have been reading the release forms.

Two things surprise me. Firstly, I like the way age is not blatantly in your face. That annoyed some people.

The big thing is that no witnesses are required. A year ago, I missed a brilliant photograph of an old man standing proudly beside an antique His Masters Voice victrola - you know the one where the dog had its ear to the trumpet as it recognized his masters voice.

The trumpet was gleaming, the tent was letting in just enough diffused light to show all the detail. The exhibitor gladly signed the release form, but the next stallholder refused to sign as witness.

I'm not happy about the tightening of release rules. The examples shown in the explanation show the lower legs of a pair of trousers. How anybody could claim to recognize himself in them and prove that there was anybody inside the cloth is beyond me.

However, there is a good part to the information - media photos are probably easier than before, so now I can photograph children kissing a dog or cat, or being butted by a goat. A professional knife sharpener, a pair of stilt-walkers - they're all probably withing my reach now. Yes, I can see some possibilities opening up before me...

Archived