Unseasonably rainy and cool (Nicaraguans tend to describe this weather as freezing, but technically 60F is only metaphorically freezing).  I just submitted shots of rain drops on Phalaenopsis flowers that I wasn't going to upload since there are over 10,000 Phal orchid shots, but decided to do it anyway and keyword to narrow searches.   The weather feels like snow weather and at higher altitudes in the clouds may actually be snow, just melting as it comes down.  This is normally Nicaragua's dry season on the Pacific coast, but not this year.   The normal rainy season rains come down in massive downpours that last an hour or two.  These rains have been on and off all day. 

1 hour ago, Lisa said:

Smokey here in Santa Barbara. :(

n00jah.jpg

n00jaf.jpg

n00jag.jpg

Thomas Fire, Santa Barbara, California

Lisa, I've been wishing we could still message each other because I've been concerned about you. Hope you don't have any problems.

Paulette

Thanks everyone!

Latest Fire Update on 21 DEC 2017:

Just notified that the evacuation orders have been lifted. Now the ash cleanup begins. I call it 'Santa Barbara snow'. Happy Holidays everyone.

8 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Stuck indoors at a mall flogging the doggie wares, so no chances for shooting.  Hoping for some sunny January days to get out with the camera a bit.

Jill

I had a seriously good laugh at this!!  Thanks Jill :lol: !!

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

Don't want to make anybody feel bad or anything but 32C (89.6F) everyday since beginning of November.

My garden.

typical-queenslander-house-in-the-wet-tr

I seriously cannot let my wife see this.  She will want to move!!  What a beautiful setting!!

Rick

1 minute ago, Rick Lewis said:

I seriously cannot let my wife see this.  She will want to move!!  What a beautiful setting!!

Rick

Steady! It's not all a bed of roses. I personally love heat which is why I moved to the tropics but there is a very high level of humidity during the Wet (January/February). 60%+ right now. Not everybody's cup of tea. And there's always the possibility of a cyclone. I have just moved in, so I'm still learning, it's all new to me. So far I love it, I get lots of delightful exotic birds in the garden, not to mention the insect nightlife. I love to train my macro lens on them.

Sending everyone a bit of sunshine and a few degrees. I'll keep the humidity for myself.

Gen

On 12/18/2017 at 15:32, chris24 said:

Lovely light here in northern NSW Australia.It's 39 degrees C/102 F air temperature rising to 56 C/128 F  in the sun. . Had two days of summer thunder storms so it's very humid. No electricity for a few hours while a mobile phone tower is is hooked up to the grid. Too exhausted to go down to photograph the action,

Similar temps in Melbourne, but we are still waiting for our thunder storm! The pre-storm heat is quite uncomfortable.

Just now, Betty LaRue said:

As the weather turns nasty, I must revisit my St. Croix work and mentally snorkel for sea glass and conch shells again.

Got it! Visit Gen and let her show me where to shoot. :lol:

You'd be most welcome Betty. You frozen margarita is waiting on the croc table... But hurry, I'm catching a plane to Borneo in a few hours!

Seriously, unless to go to one of the Great Barrier Reef islands nearby, which is very easy, you wouldn't be able to do much snorkelling along the coast. There are stinger nests on most beaches, a not too appetising 'safe' swimming area where they even found a croc or two in it a few weeks back.

Gen

51 minutes ago, gvallee said:

You'd be most welcome Betty. You frozen margarita is waiting on the croc table... But hurry, I'm catching a plane to Borneo in a few hours!

Seriously, unless to go to one of the Great Barrier Reef islands nearby, which is very easy, you wouldn't be able to do much snorkelling along the coast. There are stinger nests on most beaches, a not too appetising 'safe' swimming area where they even found a croc or two in it a few weeks back.

Gen

Is there anything non-lethal in Australia???  It seems as though anything that crawls, slithers, bites, stings, or squeezes resides in the land of Oz.  I doubt I would leave my house!  Now, Hawaii I hear has no mosquitos or snakes!!  That's my kind of place.

I say we all meet up there some day for a photo walk!! 

Rick

There's no escape Rick, red-back spiders love inside houses. A neighbour once knocked on the door bringing me one live specimen in a jar to photograph. It had crawled down her neck while she put on a cardigan just out of her cupboard...

Now I say let's all come for a torchlight walk around my garden in search of insects and arachnids. A treasure trove! So far, I have only seen one snake on one of those forays. Mind you, I was wearing sandals. 

This weather thread is quite appropriate. I'm catching a plane to Borneo (Sabah) in a few hours. I just read that a possible typhoon might hit the area in the next two days there. Argh.... Good thing I just insured my equipment.

In the meantime, Merry Xmas everyone! Hope you have a good one.

Gen

Archived