Will it be worth it?

It may be a bit too late, but today I decided to go with Alamy exclusively, and started deleting all of my microstock accounts. It will take some time before they are gone, but I am hoping that focusing on Alamy only with give me better returns. And the fact that the same images cannot be found cheaper elsewhere I am hoping will increase sales.

What is your view on this? Have I made a mistake here?

If I went exclusive here (as it stands) I would be in the poor house and Tiny Tim would die on account of getting a sale every time I come across a hen with teeth. I am constantly uploading here but having no effect on my sales although I was getting more sales with less in my portfolio. That's my story as you may do well here if you go exclusive. I wish you all the best whatever decision you take.

5 minutes ago, Marb said:

If I went exclusive here (as it stands) I would be in the poor house and Tiny Tim would die on account of getting a sale every time I come across a hen with teeth. 

Alamy isn't an exclusive agency, but it just doesn't seem sensible to compete with yourself at much lower prices. I'm constantly uploading, 1400 this year, and am seeing an effect- 15% of this year's sales were taken this year.

I wonder if it has something to do with how well the images I upload fit in with Alamy's markets.

1 hour ago, Pietrach said:

It may be a bit too late, but today I decided to go with Alamy exclusively, and started deleting all of my microstock accounts. It will take some time before they are gone, but I am hoping that focusing on Alamy only with give me better returns. And the fact that the same images cannot be found cheaper elsewhere I am hoping will increase sales.

Were you on IS as well, and if so, did you manage to close an account there?

Good luck with Alamy!

5 hours ago, Pietrach said:

No-one here can tell you. It depends on your images and whether they suit Alamy's buyers. I have different pics here than on a micro site (to which I haven't uploaded for almost 18 months and counting) but I still do better there than here. But your pics might suit Alamy's buyers much better than mine do.

I wouldn't make such a decision based on money alone. And remember, you'll never really know what would have happened if you had not made this decision.

Understandably, you're feeling apprehensive about your move. There's good news and bad news. The bad news is moving forward with Alamy is a slow walk. It will mean hanging in there and creating a much larger collection than you have now before sales and zooms will show up. In the current world of stock, Alamy is a good agency choice.

I'll wish you good luck again.

Edo

4 hours ago, Gryf said:

Good luck with Alamy!

Yes I do. I am awaiting their response.

20 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Alamy is a slow walk. It will mean hanging in there and creating a much larger collection than you have now before sales and zooms will show up.

I do realise that. I set myself a goal of 1000 images portfolio and a first sale by the end of 2018 (I had two sales in 2013 and 2015 with a portfolio of 70 images, but i dont count them). The sooner the better, but i am not in a rush.

I want to focus on decent images. Still need to sieve through my portfolio and remove old news images as these were unprocessed and generally poor.

Yes, I think so. Better to just have left those images on there and started uploading exclusively. As spacecadet stated, you already put in the time to upload/keyword them and if they're ranked somewhat highly for some keywords then you've just lost those rankings.

And the fact that the same images cannot be found cheaper elsewhere I am hoping will increase sales.

There's really no evidence that non-corporate buyers search for cheaper images on micros. As stated many times before, Alamy buyers and Micro buyers tend to be different market segments with only a small overlap. 

Anyway, good luck...overall it's a good decision since you seem to be shooting mainly editorials which caters to Alamy much more than micros. 

You get out of Alamy what you put into Alamy.

I have not, will not,  contribute to Micros.  I've been making images for publication for over three decades

and Alamy is the only library that I currently allow to license my images.  I am not getting "rich" but I do appreciate

the monthly contribution to my bank account from Alamy.  I have been very happy with the modest income from

Alamy, considering the small number of images I have available on Alamy and look forward to many more years

to come.

I also believe that most contributors to Alamy do not pay enough attention to Alamy's market and making sure

that they are uploading images that will be licensed by clients.

Chuck

15 hours ago, kay said:

My view is that if you think an image may sell many many times, then micro may not be so bad, because it does add up, but equally if that same image is only on Alamy it could have sold just a few times for more in total (and it feels more rewarding)

Not to mention the fact that one sale on Alamy for the same price as ten sales elsewhere means ten times fewer copies of your photo knocking around to be ripped off.

Alan

9 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Not to mention the fact that one sale on Alamy for the same price as ten sales elsewhere means ten times fewer copies of your photo knocking around to be ripped off.

Alan

Cheers to that!

pint-of-beer-in-a-straight-glass-with-a-

18 minutes ago, Stokie said:

If that's a pint of 'Butty Bach' I'll drink to that!!

John

Do you know, it may have been, but I can't remember!  I was on a narrowboat holiday on the Mon & Brec at the time and didn't even have to worry about responsibility for keeping to the shipping lanes, so I may have slightly exceeded the recommended dosage! :D

EDIT: Sorry for taking the thread so wildly off course: it was Stokie's fault!

35 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Do you know, it may have been, but I can't remember!  I was on a narrowboat holiday on the Mon & Brec at the time and didn't even have to worry about responsibility for keeping to the shipping lanes, so I may have slightly exceeded the recommended dosage! :D

EDIT: Sorry for taking the thread so wildly off course: it was Stokie's fault!

I usually blame the beer!!!

On 12/14/2017 at 11:42, Pietrach said:

I did this a little while back.  The reason I did it was 1) I had very few images <85 spread around 4 different MS agencies from years ago and wanted to simplify my photography life & 2)  I don't depend on Alamy or any other form of photography now to provide me anything more than a little supplemental income.

I choose to go with Alamy because of the company mostly and the fact I can shoot editorial exclusively if I want to.  Many of the other sites had severe restrictions on editorial or did not allow editorial at all.  As @Chuck Nacke said, you get out what you put in.  Most are not willing, or able perhaps, to put in the work necessary to make stock photography a viable business.  It certainly is not easy.  It involves a lot more than just taking images.  The market is constantly changing and one needs to understand this an adapt, whether one likes the changes or not.

I don't know enough about the stock industry and other agencies to advise on diversification.  I only know that I like Alamy, their company philosophy, and their ethics.  I'm sure there must be others out there, and I would probably be looking if I needed significant steady income from stock,...but I don't.  BTW, my total income was in the five (5) figures for MS.  I'm not bashing them nor endorsing them.

How's that for a non-answer.  :D

Good luck to you,

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2017 at 19:04, Gryf said:

Good luck with Alamy!

Got a confirmation from getty/istock that my account will be closed. Just used their contact form to start the process.

Thank you everyone for their varied opinions. I am as torn as i was before ;) but i am sticking with it... Almost. Just left my most profitable MS account, deleted duplicates and will keep it for drone and phone images from now on (whoch alamy does not accept, at least not from my devices).

Thank you.

8 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Yes, many micro-stockers seem to be abandoning micro-stock.

I'm seeing many micro-stockers adding Alamy to their list of sites to upload to now that Alamy accepts RF-editorial, rather than abandoning micro altogether; though there might be a few of the latter (offhand, I can only think of the OP, but there may be more; also some like me who are holding historic micro ports but actively uploading to Alamy).

Not only leaving now!  theyve been coming here for ages. In fact Alamy made a point in their msg forum to ask microstock shooters to come here!  I myself have shot lots, some 5000 pics for microstock and I believe Ian, geophotos was also into micro-stock.  So anyway going exclusive seems a bit nuts really.

I don't get the exclusive part at all. My opinion is that having collections at Alamy and the micros are both important, but not enough. For many of us, the market is bigger than that.

And Christian, watch what you say about Ian ... 

I can't think of any benefit of being exclusive on here. It's like putting all your eggs in one basket. 

Although there's an exclusivity button in the control panel, it doesn't translate into higher royalties, I guess it's just something to notify the client. 

55 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Although there's an exclusivity button in the control panel, it doesn't translate into higher royalties, I guess it's just something to notify the client.

AFAIK, that info isn't available to the client. Certainly, I can't see it looking 'like a buyer' on the page of one of mine with that indication.

We can only speculate about what the 'exclusive to Alamy' button does - maybe it's going to do something in future (?).

Archived