Google maps image use

I notice more and more newspapers using google map images which is disappointing when you also know you have a better image of the subject on Alamy. Do the papers pay for these google images and why use a blurry image when there's better on stock site? Is it purely down to cost?

22 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

I notice more and more newspapers using google map images which is disappointing when you also know you have a better image of the subject on Alamy. Do the papers pay for these google images and why use a blurry image when there's better on stock site? Is it purely down to cost?

The bean counters are now nailing down the lid of the coffin of the newspaper industry, but then it had already failed to reinvent itself for the digital 21st century.

Papers, especially local papers and local BBC (from my experience), seem not to care how much poor, and often pointless, images damage their own image/ brand. They keep sacking capable photographers and journalists (and many of the best have long gone of their own accord), the product quality declines and then they wonder why they are losing sales and advertising revenue! They are often no longer products worth reading, let alone buying, with no real content. Local papers could well have disappeared by the end of the decade if current trends continue which is a great shame, it is where I started.

Niels posted as I was typing similar thoughts.

BTW - many papers don't seem to comply with the rules stated by Google. (In fact, most seem not to). I have seen static, edited images several times.

USING STREET VIEW IMAGERY

If you’d like to use Street View imagery in your project, please first review the general guidelines at the top of this page, especially with regard to attribution.

Street View imagery may be incorporated into your project if:

These solutions ensure that if Google edits or removes imagery in response to user requests, these changes will be reflected in your project too.

https://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html

2 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

The bean counters are now nailing down the lid of the coffin of the newspaper industry, but then it had already failed to reinvent itself for the digital 21st century.

Papers, especially local papers and local BBC (from my experience), seem not to care how much poor, and often pointless, images damage their own image/ brand. They keep sacking capable photographers and journalists (and many of the best have long gone of their own accord), the product quality declines and then they wonder why they are losing sales and advertising revenue! They are often no longer products worth reading, let alone buying, with no real content. Local papers could well have disappeared by the end of the decade if current trends continue which is a great shame, it is where I started.

Niels posted as I was typing similar thoughts.

Our local paper here in Oklahoma City is still a good one, and uses quality images. The paper still has a staff photographer. Not sure how long that will be.

That said, some features have gone, and the newspaper physical size has shrunk an inch on all sides. It no longer covers the bottom of my bird cage wall to wall!:D The paper has outsourced the printing to Tulsa. As a result, some late-breaking news and sports features don’t make it in fully until the next day because deadlines are earlier than before.

I’ve always valued my paper and prefer it to online versions. Old school, I guess.  Plus as long as we have our parrots, who will outlive us, I need cage liners!

Betty

Archived