How to Remove / replace duplicate images.

Hi

i sometimes upload news images which go in unedited, straight from the camera. Later when these go back to stock, I often re-edit, re-caption and upload again. Now, do i simply delete the old ones? It say it will take 180 days before these are deleted. Some people here say to let Alamy know that I uploaded replacements. When/how do I do this?

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

You could do this in two stages. Remove all the keywords and caption, wait until the system has updated ( the next day) and then select the image for deletion. 

If you select deletion straight away the image will have all the metadata until the 180 days are up. You can't remove the metadata once the image is the Delete queue. 

I have aborted the idea of doing in in that way - see below.

By the way, if you replace an image with an improved version, Alamy will most often delete the old one immediately. Just e-mail Contributor Service and explain - and include both image-ids.

22 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Okay apologies. I had no idea it was against our contract. 

A shame Alamy don't make this a simpler process - just to swap one image for another.

They do- just send them the pairs of references.

That said I've recently done it for some images that MS couldn't replace due to filename conflicts but I don't regard it as a breach (cause 4.10, probably) because the new images are straight replacements, they'd only been up for a week or two and AFAIK none had appeared in a search.

But I won't make a habit of it.

3 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

Good idea. Like Mark I also enter the old image-id in the keywords for the new one.

Thank you, but how does this help exactly? Does it inform Alamy to delete the old version, or it is in a hope that a customer will look at the keywords and work out that there is a new version?

Thanks

43 minutes ago, Pietrach said:

Thank you, but how does this help exactly? Does it inform Alamy to delete the old version, or it is in a hope that a customer will look at the keywords and work out that there is a new version?

Thanks

Some buyers search by a reference number that they have previously noted. If you leave the old reference in the new image's tags they can still find it.

I sometimes reprocess an image and in the past have asked Alamy to replace the old with the new.

Sometimes I have loaded a new reprocessed image and leave the old one on the site but cross reference Alamy ID numbers in each. Occasionally the old image sells so why remove it?

Allan

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

We are not allowed to delete images ourselves?  So let me ask you this: why is there a delete button on the Optional page of My dashboard? 

The thread's really about images that are already on sale which you might want replaced without having to wait the usual 6 months.

Regarding deleted images, Alamy will only delete images before the 180 days if there are legal issues. A recent email I had from them states

"As per the terms of your contract, images are available for sale for 180 days after they’ve been deleted. They’re only searchable for the first half of that (90 days). After that they won’t be visible but they’ll be available to customers who’ve already downloaded them.

We will only delete images immediately if there are legal issues, and as that is not the case, the images will be subject to the 180-day deletion period."

6 hours ago, Graham Hardy said:

Regarding deleted images, Alamy will only delete images before the 180 days if there are legal issues. A recent email I had from them states

"As per the terms of your contract, images are available for sale for 180 days after they’ve been deleted. They’re only searchable for the first half of that (90 days). After that they won’t be visible but they’ll be available to customers who’ve already downloaded them.

We will only delete images immediately if there are legal issues, and as that is not the case, the images will be subject to the 180-day deletion period."

Ok let me get that right. The images are kept for 180days even when i ask IM to delete them for me? Or only when i use the Delete function myslef? If even images after the deletion by IM stay for that long then there is not muchnpoint n asking them to do this for us, is there?

1 hour ago, Pietrach said:

Ok let me get that right. The images are kept for 180days even when i ask IM to delete them for me? Or only when i use the Delete function myslef? If even images after the deletion by IM stay for that long then there is not muchnpoint n asking them to do this for us, is there?

There may, of course, be borderline cases. But if we are speaking of an improved replacement of the same image, my request for deletion of the old one has never been turned down by Alamy. The image has been deleted and gone after a server update. E-mail contributors@alamy.com

http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/8795-how-to-remove-replace-duplicate-images/

http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/5437-replace-an-image/ 

Niels

5 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

There may, of course, be borderline cases. But if we are speaking of an improved replacement of the same image, my request for deletion of the old one has never been turned down by Alamy. The ikage has been deleted and gone after a server update. E-mail contributors@alamy.com

http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/5437-replace-an-image/ 

Niels

That's right. The 6-month term isn't applied to straight replacements. IME2.

Archived