Marb

How secure are our images here

Recommended Posts

After finding out to my horror that SS images have been hacked by thieves, all our portfolio stolen for life, I would like to know how secure are images are with Alamy. Do they have good measures to stop thieves stealing ?

 

I will now put my tin hat on and wait for the few microstock cynics here to point the finger and laugh saying "I told you so"

 

Edited by Marb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What has happened?

 

I don't think anybody here will be pleased to hear about image theft by hackers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Marb,

No idea how secure Alamy is. Was this however, a genuine hack of Shutterstock, or was it people trawling Google for thumbnails and trying to sell them on? If it's thumbnails, then they can do that with Alamy too, but I can't see many people wanting a watermarked thumbnail that will look pixelly at any decent size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a site called Foundstock that has popped up. They have found a loop in the Facebook site which gives high res previews with no watermark. As I now will not be submitting anymore images to them, I want to know how secure things are here before I submit anymore editorial work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it says..."Remember anyway to use copyright pictures you suppose to pay the author." 

Gee, how reassuring. :angry:

 

Paulette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I find fascinating is that people aren't hiding their identity in any way.  Setting themselves up for a lawsuit making it so easy to find them.  They are openly stealing and offering software to steal.  This will backlash on one of these people one day.

 

Jill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have posted a warning that the site owners are promoting criminal activity and that anyone following the advice is also breaking copyright law. Suggest that if they had a few dozen such comments it might scare some of them off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In truth what real damage does it do to Shutterstock as a company? 

 

What I mean is the cost of actually doing something to protect their contributors is going to be far higher than just ignoring this sort of misuse.

 

And if their contributors really cared what happened to their images they wouldn't have them on Shutterstock to start with. 

 

This is not in any way condoning the crooks who are stealing images, but let's be straight about the business model of micro stock photography agencies and not pretend that they are going to care too much.

 

 

 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All it really does is show how to hot link an image, supposedly, for a Facebook Ad. The images only seem to be 1000 pixels wide rather than the "High Resolution" this site claims they are. Of course it's an infringement, but If other agencies really cared, they'd have Youtube, which hosts this video and has quite a few videos on lifting images from several agencies, remove them.

 

Truth is, nothing is completely secure on the net and the highest risk is when an image is licensed for web use.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't see any videos about "How to Download Free Images" from Alamy.

Edited by fotoDogue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's be honest.  Nothing is truly secure on the Internet.  The culprit here may have their servers located in a country that has no interest in protecting intellectual rights.  There are many.    They certainly will market them in those countries as well.  I read an article not too long ago about the blatant misuse of copyrighted material in advertising in an eastern European country.  The ads were even running on the government run transit system.  The article went on to say the infringed party found he/she could do nothing about it.

 

I reported to Alamy a website that was taking zoomed images, watermark and all, and offering them as a free download.  They looked into it but found the company to be based in Panama.  (presumably the servers as well).  They said they could do nothing about it.

 

Alamy has stated they use encryption but only on certain parts of their website, but is it enough?  Where is @wiskerke when you need him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has once been a hack here or at least quite some images have been stolen.

Not sure how or where to search for a report of that. Could have been only a mail to people involved.

 

wim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, geogphotos said:

 

And if their contributors really cared what happened to their images they wouldn't have them on Shutterstock to start with. 

 

 

 

 

 

I knew you would get it in somehow 😏

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Marb said:

I knew you would get it in somehow 😏

 

It's just the truth. A successful micro stock image will be downloaded tens of thousands of times. It is impossible to have any idea who is using the image.

 

That's the nature of the business model that you sign up to. If you want to manage image rights then don't supply micro-RF.

 

And you know that Shutterstock are not going to chase infringers. Just as it is not worth any agency chasing small-time infringements on personal blogs and the like - that is why Getty offer free embedded images, and Alamy will not chase pics copied by bloggers and the news swipe sites (or whatever they are called) from internet web articles.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing is really secure nowadays. But using microstock is to believe in homoeopathy.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marb said:

I knew you would get it in somehow 😏

 

He always does Marb, don’t worry about it, and keep asking questions. Don’t be driven off the forum.

Just do not mention the name of other agencies or any euphemisms for them. To do so is against the forum rules and to game the forum.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

He always does Marb, don’t worry about it, and keep asking questions. Don’t be driven off the forum.

 

On 07/12/2017 at 12:59, Marb said:

I will now put my tin hat on and wait for the few microstock cynics here to point the finger and laugh saying "I told you so"

..and maybe quit the needling yourself as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

 

Just do not mention the name of other agencies or any euphemisms for them. To do so is against the forum rules and to game the forum.

 

A reminder because you are spreading misinformation:

 

"We let as much stuff go as possible, but at the end of the day this is an Alamy forum so we can't allow posts that promote / highlight / encourage others to use services that are in direct competition with us. 

 

We're not saying you can't mention our competitors during discussions, but it clearly would not make much sense for us to allow any form of promotion to our competition."

 

There is no promotion of other agencies going on least not from me - I am doing the exact opposite. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2017 at 16:57, Bill Brooks said:

 

He always does Marb, don’t worry about it, and keep asking questions. Don’t be driven off the forum.

Just do not mention the name of other agencies or any euphemisms for them. To do so is against the forum rules and to game the forum.

Thanks, nice to have some friendly people here. Asking questions interpreted as “needling” is somewhat bizzare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Marb said:

Thanks, nice to have some friendly people here. Asking questions interpreted as “needling” is somewhat bizzare. 

Lovely, crisp images, by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

Lovely, crisp images, by the way.

Thanks. Nice to get some positive feedback. Sadly I wish the sales were the same but they dried up months ago. keeping uploading but to no avail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marb said:

Thanks. Nice to get some positive feedback. Sadly I wish the sales were the same but they dried up months ago. keeping uploading but to no avail.

Marb, I don’t mean this to be critical in any way, shape or form. And yes, your images are lovely....well shot. But looking at them I think your brain is still seeing the world in microstock style for the most part.  I only looked at the first page today but have gone deeper in the past. 

I don’t think you have quite grasped what sells well at Alamy.

I do think you will get it eventually because you work hard and you know your craft well.  It’s more content. 

I liken it to this.  I put on makeup the same way every time I go out. I may use new products from time to time, but application is the same. If I should get a makeover at some shop, and was taught to do my makeup a whole new different way, even so my instinct would be to do it the old way and I’d have to fight that.

I think that’s where you are. I would suggest you immerse yourself looking at other ports until it clicks.

Betty

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Marb, I don’t mean this to be critical in any way, shape or form. And yes, your images are lovely....well shot. But looking at them I think your brain is still seeing the world in microstock style for the most part.  I only looked at the first page today but have gone deeper in the past. 

I don’t think you have quite grasped what sells well at Alamy.

I do think you will get it eventually because you work hard and you know your craft well.  It’s more content. 

I liken it to this.  I put on makeup the same way every time I go out. I may use new products from time to time, but application is the same. If I should get a makeover at some shop, and was taught to do my makeup a whole new different way, even so my instinct would be to do it the old way and I’d have to fight that.

I think that’s where you are. I would suggest you immerse yourself looking at other ports until it clicks.

Betty

 

I see where you are coming from but I see not much difference in microstock and Alamy images on this site. And I will have to say that I have a lot of editorial images here of late. I see poeple in i ages at Alamy and see the same type of shots on microstock sites, which also sell editorial. My point is I used to sell more images here when I had less in my port than now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Marb said:

I see where you are coming from but I see not much difference in microstock and Alamy images on this site. And I will have to say that I have a lot of editorial images here of late. I see poeple in i ages at Alamy and see the same type of shots on microstock sites, which also sell editorial. My point is I used to sell more images here when I had less in my port than now.

You've been told this before. When someone who has been submitting and selling for a decade here suggests most of your images are MS style, it's good advice. You may not see it, but then you don't have a 10-year sales record, do you?

Less than 10% of my sales this year could remotely be described in that way. The rest are secondary editorial. It's a fact. Incidentally very few have people in them.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now