Live News - caption vs headline

Hi,

I am slowly trying to do some live news images, and currently working on streamlining the workflow to be able to submit within minutes of taking an image.

As such, I would like to understand what is the difference between the Caption and Headline, so that I do not repeat the information where not needed.

Also, do you keyword news images, or caption/headline only?

Thank you

From my work today:

The CAPTION:

Aberystwyth Wales UK, Thursday 07 December 2017

UK Weather: The southern edge of Storm Caroline, with winds gusting between 40 and 60 mph, brings huge waves crashing into the sea defences  in Aberystwyth, Ceredigion , west Wales UK.

Very cold and wintry weather is forecast for the coming days, with heavy snow and icy conditions spreading down from the north. Met Office ‘yellow’ warnings have been issued, and there is a risk of disruption to travel in many areas

The HEADLINE

UK Weather: Storm Caroline brushes Aberystwyth Wales

km

18 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

PIetrach, PM is disabled so posting here.

I notice that your pics of Eygpt need checking for spelling of the country's name

:)

Thank you. English is not my main language and I used Polish spelling by mistake. So kind of you to point this out, thank you.

Do you have any experience in News images?

1 minute ago, RedSnapper said:

From my work today:

The CAPTION:

UK Weather: The southern edge of Storm Caroline, with winds gusting between 40 and 60 mph, brings huge waves crashing into the sea defences  in Aberystwyth, Ceredigion , west Wales UK.

Very cold and wintry weather is forecast for the coming days, with heavy snow and icy conditions spreading down from the north. Met Office ‘yellow’ warnings have been issued, and there is a risk of disruption to travel in many areas

The HEADLINE

km

Thank you Keith,  I decided to try News images after reading few interviews with you. You are an inspiration, keep it up and thank you for your complete reply.

PS - Do you fill the metadata for the News Images and upload all using your mobile phone while on location? Or do you use laptop?

2 hours ago, Pietrach said:

Do you fill the metadata for the News Images and upload all using your mobile phone while on location? Or do you use laptop?

Yes.....I pre-caption using the Shuttersnitch app on my iPhone, and then send the images from my cameras to the phone using their wi-fi networks (two nikon D4/D4s bodies both equipped with WT-5 wi-fi dongles). The phone then sends them out with headline/caption/keywords from the location as I work

km

One of my images filed in this way this morning is being used in this on-line story

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5085512/storm-caroline-uk-weather-danger-life/

34 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

One of my images filed in this way this morning is being used in this on-line story

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5085512/storm-caroline-uk-weather-danger-life/

awesome work, and very valuable insight. Thank you. i am still looking for a perfect solution for Android device. So far i have PressIPTC app which I use to fill in the metadata, and then an FTP app to transfer to Alamy, but the PressIPTC does not support pre-captioning which is a shame and slows down the process a lot.

4 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

From my work today:

The CAPTION:

The HEADLINE

km

Aren't we suppose to add a "<Your Name>/Alamy Live News" bit somewhere? (end of caption I thought)

24 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Aren't we suppose to add a "<Your Name>/Alamy Live News" bit somewhere? (end of caption I thought)

I've never done that as i've never been told to,  but Alamy always tag it onto my news pictures

11 minutes ago, Ed Brown said:

I've never done that as i've never been told to,  but Alamy always tag it onto my news pictures

Whatever works I guess!

Interestingly the Alamy documentations suggests we should be doing it though:

http://www.alamy.com/contributors/captions-and-headlines-for-alamy-live-news.pdf

Headline: Not One Day More - Tories Out Demonstration, London, UK

Caption: London, UK. 1 July 2017. Picture of Theresa May with the word lies spread across her mouth. Thousands join the Not One Day More - Tories Out Demonstration in Central London. Photo: XXX/Alamy Live News. 

Although, I think Alamy favour the date formatting as July 1st, 2017. 

5 minutes ago, vpics said:

Headline: Not One Day More - Tories Out Demonstration, London, UK

Caption: London, UK. 1 July 2017. Picture of Theresa May with the word lies spread across her mouth. Thousands join the Not One Day More - Tories Out Demonstration in Central London. 

Although, I think Alamy favour the date formatting as July 1st, 2017. 

Their PDF would suggest it should be 1st July, 2017.

1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I left that part out of the illustrative example...since the question was about the difference in content / structure of the headline and caption

km

9 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

??? PressIPTC allows captioning, headline and keywords on the fly or save as a template and why are you using another app for ftp? this is all built in.

Write out your template with a headline and caption

Set a target directory for images on phone

Set target ftp server

Shoot some images and transfer to phone (this can be done automatically as well, like Redsnapper does)

Depending on whether you have "send to ftp server" checked it will send all the images with headline and caption immediately

You made me play with the app a bit more and explore the options, and it does all this indeed. Thank you so much, this was very helpfull. For some reason o cannot sert tye Gallery path to show images in the folder with long name (it sets the path but doesnt show images), and sony's wireless transfer app Play Memories has a default long name folder which cannot be changed. But this is small issue.

Thanks.

On 12/7/2017 at 08:58, Matt Ashmore said:

Yes we are.  The one, and only, live news image I submitted was accepted without it.  I simply forgot to add it.  Fortunately rather than bin my image, the kind folks at Alamy Live News added it for me.

Archived