Lightroom: Color grading in the basic panel

It’s good to have these short videos about just one aspect of Lightroom at a time. There are a couple of things I have struggled with which you might cover in further ones, perhaps.

a) people detection - one computer I use suddenly started detecting people, which I didn’t want but it wasn’t easy to work out how to stop it from doing that. That also seemed to cause a problem uploading images to Alamy; the images were rejected.

b ) I use Lightroom on two different computers. My iMac is great and it runs very well. Unfortunately, on the other computer (windows based) it runs very very slowly and drives me nuts. I understand that there are different ways you can ‘lighten’ the processing power of how Lightroom operates but haven’t managed to get my head around it yet.

But you may feel that these are more technical operating aspects rather than photo processing which is obviously of interest here.

7 minutes ago, Sally said:

a) people detection - one computer I use suddenly started detecting people, which I didn’t want but it wasn’t easy to work out how to stop it from doing that. That also seemed to cause a problem uploading images to Alamy; the images were rejected.

This has nothing to do with LR. Alamy doesn't reject images because they have people in them.

6 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I don't think she meant that

Quite right, That isn’t what I meant. Lightroom has a facility to detect people and puts little boxes around their faces. Once I removed these from the photos, they uploaded fine.

On 12/6/2017 at 08:19, Sally said:

It’s good to have these short videos about just one aspect of Lightroom at a time. There are a couple of things I have struggled with which you might cover in further ones, perhaps.

b ) I use Lightroom on two different computers. My iMac is great and it runs very well. Unfortunately, on the other computer (windows based) it runs very very slowly and drives me nuts. I understand that there are different ways you can ‘lighten’ the processing power of how Lightroom operates but haven’t managed to get my head around it yet.

But you may feel that these are more technical operating aspects rather than photo processing which is obviously of interest here.

Hi Sally,
I am working at the moment on a video with tips to improve speed on Lightroom. I will publish it next week.
I believe that it can solve your problem

3 minutes ago, Justin Case said:

Hi Sally,
I am working at the moment on a video with tips to improve speed on Lightroom. I will publish it next week.
I believe that it can solve your problem

Could you just tell us about it? Not everyone wants to watch video.

20 hours ago, spacecadet said:

OK.

To be fair you did say "the computer" started detecting people.

....in the context of issues to do with running Lightroom. But yes, I could have been even more specific. 

58 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Could you just tell us about it? Not everyone wants to watch video.

I prefer to read myself. Watching a video is too time-consuming but each to his own.

See Optimise Lightroom Performance from Adobe. It's very good and covers a lot of ground well. However, key performance issues usually relate to having a fast computer with plenty of RAM and a decent video card as well as keeping up to date with new program releases. 

1 minute ago, MDM said:

I prefer to read myself. Watching a video is too time-consuming but each to his own.

See Optimise Lightroom Performance from Adobe. It's very good and covers a lot of ground well. However, key performance issues usually relate to having a fast computer with plenty of RAM and a decent video card as well as keeping up to date with new program releases. 

I seem to get interference betwee FF and LR which slows LR down. Is it an illusion? FF is a bit of a RAM hog.

On 12/7/2017 at 12:46, spacecadet said:

Hah! 32. I have 4 and max is 8. Too expensive but thanks for the tip. I can always shut down FF.

Well, in my analysis I came to the conclusion that to make some serious work on Lightroom, the minimum RAW requirement is 16G (32G suggested).
8G could be sort of enough if doing the simplest things with photo (forget video), no other apps open, not even internet. And anyway it will still be very, very slow.
Even with 32G of RAM it can still be slow, but there are many other things to consider beside RAM

I Like your videos Vic, but your output is too high for me, like others I prefer to read. I can read for hours, but only watch a few tv progs and internet videos a week.
If you made only one a fortnight I would watch them sooner, but, as it is I will get around to them all when I have time.
They are very useful though, thanks.

On 12/10/2017 at 09:09, mickfly said:

I Like your videos Vic, but your output is too high for me, like others I prefer to read. I can read for hours, but only watch a few tv progs and internet videos a week.
If you made only one a fortnight I would watch them sooner, but, as it is I will get around to them all when I have time.
They are very useful though, thanks.

Thank you Mickfly.
I know what you mean about the output, but I do different topics: some people are interessed in LR, some other in timelapses and so on.
I must say that I get really a lot of people from this forum, and they watch for very long time, which makes me believe that Alamy users are very interested

Archived