geogphotos

Public Domain - wild west - need for some order?

20 hours ago, vpics said:

Trust me, I've been through this so many times. Some museums and galleries issue takedown requests even though they have invited you to attend and take pictures. It only takes one over-eager lawyer wanting to boost their egos ...

I'd be careful - even if the artwork is not in copyright, if it belongs to the museum, they might have a claim. 

Which adds another dimension... if it belongs to the museum. A lot of artwork is not owned by museums but by benefactors with their own interests. And interpretations. And lawyers. It all seems to me to be a potential minefield. And even if you are in the right, agencies often err on the side of caution. See the whole palaver with the NT.

Another consideration. The competition we are going to face from commons could make that with micros seem like nothing. One speaker at the recent seminar I attended on copyright held a speech pleading that we should all relax, do commissions and then give all of our images away after a week or so as commons. I beleive it was the same chap who after an online tete a tete organised a photo tour of his city to create as many commons as possible, seemingly just to annoy the other participants in the discussion. If you dont think its going to a problem, have a look at the images found thread from the past week and find the article in the Guardian about Southampton. Pretty much all of the images were from twitter feeds, probably commons. Whilst the chap at the seminar didn;t exactly get a positive response it is a factor I am seeing more and more at events. The organisation employs one or two photographers (or gets a volunteer) and their images are thereafter available for noppes/niks/nada/nothing. Very unhelpful for the rest of us. If you are yourself taking advantage of commons, well, it would be then a bit rich to complain that commons are eating your market.

4 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Which adds another dimension... if it belongs to the museum. A lot of artwork is not owned by museums but by benefactors with their own interests. And interpretations. And lawyers. It all seems to me to be a potential minefield. And even if you are in the right, agencies often err on the side of caution. See the whole palaver with the NT.

Another consideration. The competition we are going to face from commons could make that with micros seem like nothing. One speaker at the recent seminar I attended on copyright held a speech pleading that we should all relax, do commissions and then give all of our images away after a week or so as commons. I beleive it was the same chap who after an online tete a tete organised a photo tour of his city to create as many commons as possible, seemingly just to annoy the other participants in the discussion. If you dont think its going to a problem, have a look at the images found thread from the past week and find the article in the Guardian about Southampton. Pretty much all of the images were from twitter feeds, probably commons. Whilst the chap at the seminar didn;t exactly get a positive response it is a factor I am seeing more and more at events. The organisation employs one or two photographers (or gets a volunteer) and their images are thereafter available for noppes/niks/nada/nothing. Very unhelpful for the rest of us. If you are yourself taking advantage of commons, well, it would be then a bit rich to complain that commons are eating your market.

Alternatively, perhaps the best way of undermining this is to take advantage of it. 

For information of forum members.

I have had a couple of email responses from the Rijksmuseum and asked directly about using their images for stock.

.............. our free photoservice cannot be used to collect images for your own or any database. We do not cooperate with image requests on that scale. We are happy to deliver images on demand, but they are not meant to download and store. We would like to keep quality control over our images as we continually adapt our photo’s to the latest standards. Our images will always be free, for everyone....