I came across this weird website today that appears to be offering images lifted straight from Alamy -- complete with ID and watermarks -- to people to use in articles, on websites, etc., claiming that they are in the public domain.

Scroll down to "Keyword images" to see examples. I found some of my images on this site.

56 minutes ago, Southpole said:

Does seem strange someone must be paying for it

I kinda doubt it. They are providing links back to Alamy, but they're misleading people by saying that the images are within the public domain and can be downloaded (comps) and used for free with articles, etc.

Many, many such websites abound. In this particular instance, it may be that they use the term 'public domain' simply to refer to anything that may be found on the internet.  They go on to say

''You can always use one of these images but please respect the copyright of the owner, We have provided the original source link for you to also credit the image(s) owner as we have done here.''

Clearly this is misleading and visitors may believe that they are entitled to use this 'advice' as an excuse to use the images as they wish.

23 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Many, many such websites abound. In this particular instance, it may be that they use the term 'public domain' simply to refer to anything that may be found on the internet.  They go on to say

''You can always use one of these images but please respect the copyright of the owner, We have provided the original source link for you to also credit the image(s) owner as we have done here.''

Clearly this is misleading and visitors may believe that they are entitled to use this 'advice' as an excuse to use the images as they wish.

Yes, I probably should have titled this thread, "Yet Another weird website?".  It's tough to figure out the motivation behind most of them.

5 hours ago, Avpics said:

To get money from the advertisers I presume

That's it. Haven't looked, but I imagine they bake a few cookies while you're there to track you and throw up more ads at appropriate times/locations.

5 hours ago, losdemas said:

That's it. Haven't looked, but I imagine they bake a few cookies while you're there to track you and throw up more ads at appropriate times/locations.

- and collect and sell the information about the visitors' moving around on the Internet. 

Archived