Favourite pics uploaded Dec 2017

Brasilnut

On 08/12/2017 at 11:17, John Morrison said:

Well, I've just told her, and she wants her 15% commission... backdated...

We finally settled on a bonio at 7.00am this morning, after a gruelling night around the negotiating table.

Spectacled Flying Fox or Spectacled Fruit Bat (Pteropus conspicillatus) with a baby 

KMT4DF.jpg

Metallic Starlings or Shining Starlings (Aplonis metallica) in front of their nest. Far North Queensland, Australia

KMT4F0.jpg

Great to see large scale steel fabrication back on the river Tyne,  constructing supports for offshore wind turbines on the site of what was Swan Hunter shipbuilders. A lot of people have been very sceptical about renewable energy, but here is clear evidence that it is bringing work for skilled craftspersons.

panoramic-view-of-offshore-wind-turbine-

This Sarens crane is capable of lifting over 3000 tonnes.

sarens-giant-crane-lifts-offshore-wind-t

Market trader serving customer.

customer-being-served-by-trader-on-herb-

Coffee shop in Grafton centre.

coffee-shop-grafton-center-KMRARA.jpg

Busker playing soprano sax by Snowy memorial.

busker-playing-in-front-of-snowy-memoria

Allan

On 06/12/2017 at 00:59, Rick Lewis said:

What on earth did you just say?  :P  My head still hurts from trying to figure that out.  I do the same as you @hdh, I use the widest angle lens I can find.  :-)  

Also was told to move the plane of the sensor behind the axis of rotation

I'm not sure if it means the same thing but it should be rotated around the 'nodal point' (no parallax point).  Easy to do if you have a dedicated panoramic head.  There is a good demonstration of the principle here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jAhwFLimM0

Yonks ago I read somewhere that the gold ring near the front of the lens denotes the nodal point (or thereabouts).

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Great to see large scale steel fabrication back on the river Tyne,  constructing supports for offshore wind turbines on the site of what was Swan Hunter shipbuilders. A lot of people have been very sceptical about renewable energy, but here is clear evidence that it is bringing work for skilled craftspersons.

panoramic-view-of-offshore-wind-turbine-

This Sarens crane is capable of lifting over 3000 tonnes.

sarens-giant-crane-lifts-offshore-wind-t

Those yellow platforms keep popping up in Leith Docks, and I keep taking photos of them. Then they head out through the Firth of Forth. I am glad I know what they are now. Thought they were oil rig platforms.

15 hours ago, Sally said:

Those yellow platforms keep popping up in Leith Docks, and I keep taking photos of them. Then they head out through the Firth of Forth. I am glad I know what they are now. Thought they were oil rig platforms.

You are not alone Sally.  In attempting to take those shots I looked for a place from which I could take a clean view and came across the The Eco Centre, Windmill Way - they have their own large wind turbine.  I asked permission to take the photos from their land and was amazed to find that the staff there thought the structures were parts of oil rigs!

Anyone else thinking of doing the same, forget the Eco centre, they did allow me to access their land, but you can't get a decent shot.

MediaCityUK at Salford Quays, with fireworks.  My first serious attempt at a composite - the fireworks were taken at Hope in the Peak District.  Four images in total. The water was smoother than it looks here and I tried to create a reflection of the fireworks by inverting them, but I couldn't get it to look realistic.  I fudged the issue by cropping a bit off the bottom and stirred up the water with the Flood filter from Flaming Pear.

mediacityuk-salford-quays-manchester-uk-

On 13/12/2017 at 15:37, Matt Ashmore said:

Where's the snow? :-)

Snowy was a Cambridge character who used to do a lot for children and charities. When he died this memorial was put up to remind people about his life and work.

Allan

Archived