For you Fuji shooters, the 80mm, 2.8 macro is now shipping. Mine arrived about 8 p.m. yesterday. I’ve taken a couple dozen images with it, and it’s one sweet lens.

First impressions...heavy as I lifted it out of the box. Once mounted on my X-T2 I never thought of it again. I always cradle larger lenses in my non-shooting hand anyway.

Its bokadelicious with creamy backgrounds. I shot every image at 1/30 shutter speed hand-held and got sharp images. So the ummm, whaddayoucallit shake reduction really works! It is pricy, but I paid for it from selling my Nikon kit. I shot a couple of crabapples hanging from my tree at f11 with a wood fence about 8 feet behind and all I got was a creamy gray background.

Thats my review and I’m sticking to it! :D

I’ve been without a macro for several years and I sure missed having one. No bugs to shoot what with winter setting in, darn!

If anyone is truly interested in this lens I’ll post a couple of images on Dropbox. Let me know.

Betty

Sounds nice.  The sharpest lens I've ever owned was the Nikon 105mm f2.8G VR.  This sounds close but just a tad longer at 120mm (35mm equiv).  I just boxed up the Fuji X-T2 I rented to test.  I really hate to see it go back to LenRental.com. 

I've kept my Fuji X-E2 and kit lens, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS and still use it for stock.  But, after shooting for two days with the X-T2 I can see a pretty big difference in image quality.  The thing I really like about the Fujis is that they are small and lightweight with good image quality.

I really think I'll be investing in a new X-T2s when it comes out in 2018.  I'm not sure on what lens or lenses to get with it.  I think my kit lens is a little off.  It is not very sharp and has some distortion problems in the corners, especially on one side.  Maybe I can write it off as a business expense next year.  ;)

I'm sure we'll be seeing the results of your purchase this Spring.  :-) 

Rick

10 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

Sounds nice.  The sharpest lens I've ever owned was the Nikon 105mm f2.8G VR.  This sounds close but just a tad longer at 120mm (35mm equiv).  I just boxed up the Fuji X-T2 I rented to test.  I really hate to see it go back to LenRental.com. 

I've kept my Fuji X-E2 and kit lens, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS and still use it for stock.  But, after shooting for two days with the X-T2 I can see a pretty big difference in image quality.  The thing I really like about the Fujis is that they are small and lightweight with good image quality.

I really think I'll be investing in a new X-T2s when it comes out in 2018.  I'm not sure on what lens or lenses to get with it.  I think my kit lens is a little off.  It is not very sharp and has some distortion problems in the corners, especially on one side.  Maybe I can write it off as a business expense next year.  ;)

I'm sure we'll be seeing the results of your purchase this Spring.  :-) 

Rick

It seems the X-T2s will be the X-H1 according to Fuji Rumors this morning.

I would love the new 80mm macro but can't justify it. Can I justify the X-H1 alongside my X-T2? Strictly no but it will depend on the grip, I would love a deeper grip so I can use a hand strap as I always did with my Canon 1D??s. I would then part-ex my backup X-T1 and grip.

10 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

It seems the X-T2s will be the X-H1 according to Fuji Rumors this morning.

I would love the new 80mm macro but can't justify it. Can I justify the X-H1 alongside my X-T2? Strictly no but it will depend on the grip, I would love a deeper grip so I can use a hand strap as I always did with my Canon 1D??s. I would then part-ex my backup X-T1 and grip.

I just saw that Martin.  Interesting why they would change the name.  Even though they state it will be identical to the X-T2, why would they change the name?  It implies that the X-T2 will not die and there will be an X-T3, without IBIS.  I'm wondering if this directed more toward video with the new cine lenses being introduced, and the X-T3 will be improved stills based camera with the X-H1 a video centric camera.  Interesting.

Rick

On 01/12/2017 at 01:21, Rick Lewis said:

I just saw that Martin.  Interesting why they would change the name.  Even though they state it will be identical to the X-T2, why would they change the name?  It implies that the X-T2 will not die and there will be an X-T3, without IBIS.  I'm wondering if this directed more toward video with the new cine lenses being introduced, and the X-T3 will be improved stills based camera with the X-H1 a video centric camera.  Interesting.

Rick

Latest rumour on Fuji Rumors is that it will be bigger all round than X-T2. I won't be interested it if it is unless the bare bones body has the performance capability of X-T2 with grip. Frankly I am rather sceptical about this size rumour. I would have thought the main requirement (as Fuji have suggested) was that IBIS would need a larger mount diameter, but then it it would not be a Fuji X camera (can't see that being viable) so it might then be larger!

9 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

Latest rumour on Fuji Rumors is that it will be bigger all round than X-T2. I won't be interested it if it is unless the bare bones body has the performance capability of X-T2 with grip. Frankly I am rather sceptical about this size rumour. I would have thought the main requirement (as Fuji have suggested) was that IBIS would need a larger mount diameter, but then it it would not be a Fuji X camera (can't see that being viable) so it might then be larger!

I think I now understand where Fuji are going with this, @Martin P Wilson.  The X-H1 will be a direct competitor with the Panasonic & Sony APS-C video/still cameras.  It will be video centric, meaning Fuji are concentrating on developing a camera that will be stellar for video, with still capability added to it.  This will be just the opposite of the X-T2, still camera with some video functionality.

I am very disappointed as I was hoping for no more than a slight increase in size and weight to compensate for the IBIS.  The X-H1 will also have an LCD top plate so I'm not sure how they can even keep the form factor of the X-T2, with the exposure compensation dial, in tact.

I sold my X-T1 because of the lousy D-pad focusing function.  I just couldn't operate the camera smoothly.  I was getting many soft images due to camera shake and missing many photo ops due to the poor ergonomics in my hands.  I kept my X-E2.  With the eye piece all the way to the left of the camera, I found it much easier to focus with a better hit rate. (although I hate the shutter lag on the X-E2).  

I rented an X-T2 for a couple of days to see just what improvements were made and how I like it.  I found the focusing with the joy stick to be very nice and it seemed to help immensely with the overall handling.  I was only able to get about 100 or so images during my time with it, but I had zero soft images.  The new 24mp sensor is stellar!  Now that I have switched over to Capture One Pro 11, the images are incredibly sharp with far few artifacts.  LR and Fuji still don't get along too well.

I think I'll be buying an X-T2 after the first of the year.  I'll wait for one of those periods where Fuji offers a $100 discount.  :-)  

Archived