Steep drop in zooms this month?

13 minutes ago, Marb said:

I disagree. What if a magazine or whatever wants a picture of farmland in the US but not in the UK, or vice versa. How are they supposed to know if your photo features what they are looking for?

1 minute ago, Sally said:

I disagree. What if a magazine or whatever wants a picture of farmland in the US but not in the UK, or vice versa. How are they supposed to know if your photo features what they are looking for?

Fair enough Sally. Point taken and duly noted. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Also fair enough but it's a very unusual type of grain bin as you'll see if you do a search- they're usually concrete or metal.

That said, as it is unusual, perhaps it's a local style, in which case the location is highly relevant.

Again noted, thanks.

Whenever i see this kind of debate I'm always reminded of the 'Dunning - Kruger Effect'

The effect is a cognitive bias, which occurs when people fail to correctly assess their level of competence, and consider themselves to be much more competent than others.

It is a common phenomenan accross all sectors of activity

km

last 30 days:

zooms: 224

sales: 94

6 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Whenever i see this kind of debate I'm always reminded of the 'Dunning - Kruger Effect'

The effect is a cognitive bias, which occurs when people fail to correctly assess their level of competence, and consider themselves to be much more competent than others.

It is a common phenomenan accross all sectors of activity

km

last 30 days:

zooms: 224

sales: 94

Interesting - I guess sales for Alamy News are not zoomed/do not count as zooms -  for me, in the last 30 days, 213 zooms, 74 sales

Kumar (the Doc one)

and it has gone down from 250+ before the "rerank"

Interesting discussion that has now got back on track. 

The recent re-rank has increased my zoom count to 73 for the period Nov 20 to Dec 19, against 40; 59 and 37 for the corresponding time periods (20th to 19th) for the previous three month set.  I was doing well - now I'm doing better.  Sales volumes are steady so far 20; 21; 22; 20 for the corresponding periods but I wouldn't expect a zoom increase to show up in more sales for a month or so.  Should be interesting, though.

16 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Looking at my desktop numbers just now:

Views   5,249

Zooms   60

CTR   1.47

Sales so far in Dec   9

My numbers on Alamy keep improving . . . except for prices paid. 

Ed your finger did a wrong dance. It is lumber, lumber yard. I had to correct three misspellings in my upload today. Two i’s where only one was needed? (Among others) I must’ve been in a hurry. Actually, I kept getting interrupted by someone wanting supper at 3:30 p.m. :( What’s your excuse? :D Wish we could PM.

Betty

13 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ed your finger did a wrong dance. It is lumber, lumber yard. I had to correct three misspellings in my upload today. Two i’s where only one was needed? (Among others) I must’ve been in a hurry. Actually, I kept getting interrupted by someone wanting supper at 3:30 p.m. :( What’s your excuse? :D Wish we could PM.

Betty

Thanks, Betty.  I'm not much of a typist and an even worse speller.  It's true that I've worked as a copy editor, but that was a crime against nature. 

15 hours ago, Doc said:

I guess sales for Alamy News are not zoomed/do not count as zooms - 

No, that's not how news works; LiveNews sales are generated by Alamy actively  sending the images out by FTP to the newspaper picture desks. They see , and get, a stream of full size images ready to use (or not). They aren't searched for/zoomed on ...

km

18 hours ago, andremichel said:

But does 224 zooms represent a steep drop from other months? 

Not really... pretty constant, +/- about 5%....

The bigger the collection size, ceteris paribus,  the less volatile you will find the figures to be

Nov 243

Oct 234

Sep 220

Aug 212

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Betty.  I'm not much of a typist and an even worse speller.  It's true that I've worked as a copy editor, but that was a crime against nature. 

I enjoy looking at your images from time to time to see a bit more of NYC. My only visit there was a whirlwind trip to be on the Sally Jesse Raphael show with my hubs. Other than the scariest taxi ride of my life going back to the airport, I didn’t get much of a feel for the place.  We did pass by Central Park.

No fear, I finally covered up my eyes to thwart the taxi driver who was taking extreme delight at watching my face in the rear-view mirror as he threw on his brakes just before he would have struck a pedestrian. It was after that when I covered my eyes. I didn’t want him killing someone just to impress me.

Betty

On 20/12/2017 at 09:39, Marb said:

I can find my images when I type basic, obvious keywords so what is wrong with my keywords ? 

Maybe the buyer wants something specific, so uses specific keywords rather than basic and obvious ones.

For example in  KP5M7X you have 'fly'. Sure, a buyer might search 'fly', but they'd get 767,677 hits.

If you took the time to identify it (possibly Epistrophe grossulariae, but I'm by no means an expert, and that took me all of twenty seconds) then your chances would be raised to 1 in 11 (if it was that species). Even hoverfly would increase your chances to 7,221 - still high odds, but 100x better than 'fly'.

On 20/12/2017 at 09:49, Marb said:

I am talking about keywords, not the description which has no relevance in the search.

I don't know why you think that. The description is very important in search.

Alamy says:

" Before you start, think about the potential use of the image and what it’s likely to be sold for, the more accurately you describe your image, the more visibility it will have in customer searches, which will significantly increase your chance of making a sale. "

I prefer to check for myself and a couple of weeks back I found a search of over 800 hits where the top file in relevant and two more in the top ten (all older files by the same contributor) had NO keywords at all (not sure how that happened, but certainly none visible on the file page - which in theory should make the file invisible, but like I said, I prefer to check) but an accurate relevant description, so I presume the high position was due to description and a high Alamy Rank for the tog.

Back on topic: my zooms were rock bottom in November, but have bounced up to just over Alamy's average during December.

CTR2.jpg

6 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Not really... pretty constant, +/- about 5%....

The bigger the collection size, ceteris paribus,  the less volatile you will find the figures to be

Nov 243

Oct 234

Sep 220

Aug 212

I had zooms like you until the beginning of December. But they've now gone down substantially.

2 hours ago, Stokie said:

Anybody else seeing views down?

Yes, views and zooms down as we approach the end of the month, but this is the Xmas shutdown. While the papers will still be working I guess that many publishers will be on their hols for the next week or so.

Been a canny December saleswise mind !

Archived