DPS and “copy space” type tags

Hi

I’ve read an article by an Alamy contributor who includes in tagging words such as “copy space left”, “copy space top”, “DPS” (double page spread). The idea is that makes it easier for picture editors to find what they need. This is the first I’ve heard of this approach. I’m not sure I’d want to attempt it - how do I know how my picture will be used? I’m not a picture editor. I think i’ll just stick to tagging for the picture subject. What do you think?

I often put in "copy space" and "copyspace" if I think an image warrants it -- e.g. if I consciously framed the picture with space at the top and/or bottom for copy. It's probably a waste of time, but don't see how it can do any harm. I never put in DPS, though.

I also use copy space where I believe it is appropriate, now know that copyspace is also searched for - thanks John! 

Both are used rarely in all searches in the last year. 

Did not know DPS before, and in the entire last year there were only 2 search terms with DPS (actually DPs) only one of having 69 results. 

The pictures that came up for "DPs Germany" do not seem to be double page spread - the pictures that came up rather surprised (/flabbergasted) me, despite I am German.

I cannot make up for what the client may have been looking for but assume the results may have not been expected.  

(WARNING: do *not* search for it if you do not like to see German nudity) 

I will also use the term "copy space" if there is obviously a lot of room for text in my image.  I figure it can't hurt to add it.

I don't use DPS, in fact I didn't know the term.  Thanks for explaining it because it appeared in a sale a couple days ago and I was wondering what it meant.

4 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

A search of All of Alamy shows one search for "copy space" and 4,228,979 results.

Not quite: try %copy%space% for the rolling year.

Still not a whole lot with just over 200 for copy space  and copyspace  combined.

However there has been an Alamy blogpost in 2015 telling clients to use it as a search term.

wim

25 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Not quite: try %copy%space% for the rolling year.

Still not a whole lot with just over 200 for copy space  and copyspace  combined.

However there has been an Alamy blogpost in 2015 telling clients to use it as a search term.

wim

Thanks Wim that’s an interesting blogpost.

Archived