Philippe had a falling out with Alamy over various bits of argy-bargy in the forum and asked that his forum account (along with his many useful, if often direct and to-the-point postings) be deleted. Too many feathers were ruffled and too many red arrows flew around, and as a result the Alamy forum lost a valuable who has made many helpful postings and said some important truths that are sometimes hard to hear. He can still be found making the occasional contribution among professional photogs on a social and ubiquitous part of the internet I can't mention here.

Great Guy but one can't be a 'snowflake' in this game. In any case who gives a flying shite about what people say on this so-called 'forum'. It is not a forum. It is a monitored comment operation. Very few Alamy contributors (35,000 roughly) even bother with it. i don't bother with it most of the time - in fact most of the time I'm banned due to too much truth telling...... ha ha. 

I miss him so much. The red arrows played a part and it's a shame that those who were using them participated in driving away someone who helped in so many ways. He was willing to spend his valuable time going over keywords thoroughly and giving people the opportunity to fix them and do better on Alamy. Some people apparently didn't appreciate any criticism of what they were doing. His knowledge of flora and fauna have not been matched in my opinion. No disrespect to the people who are still here and helping. I do appreciate it. Philippe was also funny and just good company here.

Paulette

10 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I miss him so much. The red arrows played a part and it's a shame that those who were using them participated in driving away someone who helped in so many ways. He was willing to spend his valuable time going over keywords thoroughly and giving people the opportunity to fix them and do better on Alamy. Some people apparently didn't appreciate any criticism of what they were doing. His knowledge of flora and fauna have not been matched in my opinion. No disrespect to the people who are still here and helping. I do appreciate it. Philippe was also funny and just good company here.

Paulette

I agree with what you say and empathise with your sentiment, however you must understand that a 'forum' is a debating arena not a mutual congratulation area. In my opinion the Alamy 'forum' has become pretty boring due to too much mutual appreciation and not enough hard commentary. Of course, none of us like to be told hard truths but it is better than mutual masturbation really. Phillipe is a cool guy and I loved his comments/advice/experience/knowledge but why does he feel the need to 'abscond' from the forum because of some idiot wind comments???

7 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

so true and nothing to add. 

7 hours ago, ManWay said:

I agree with what you say and empathise with your sentiment, however you must understand that a 'forum' is a debating arena not a mutual congratulation area. In my opinion the Alamy 'forum' has become pretty boring due to too much mutual appreciation and not enough hard commentary. Of course, none of us like to be told hard truths but it is better than mutual masturbation really. Phillipe is a cool guy and I loved his comments/advice/experience/knowledge but why does he feel the need to 'abscond' from the forum because of some idiot wind comments???

Agree with your sentiment, but at some point I think we all would find us thinking contributing to a "debating arena" when being the constant target of a jealous brigade of red arrow wind up merchants just becomes pointless... Don't think for a second that Philippe has/had a problem with either giving or receiving truths in any shape or form. 

29 minutes ago, Martin Carlsson said:

Agree with your sentiment, but at some point I think we all would find us thinking contributing to a "debating arena" when being the constant target of a jealous brigade of red arrow wind up merchants just becomes pointless... Don't think for a second that Philippe has/had a problem with either giving or receiving truths in any shape or form. 

Never truer words have been spoken.

Gen

7 minutes ago, NYCat said:

It's our loss. I wish Alamy would rethink the whole red arrows business. There must be a way to encourage civility here without driving away one of our most valuable members.

Paulette

i agree - the red and indeed green arrows is very juvenile 

I personally don't mind either colour when used within the realms of agree/disagree, but when it is used for playground purposes and deliberately targeting someone - pathetic and malicious no matter how much "us" thick skinned say "it shouldn't affect anyone". So considering that there are "trolls" everywhere and people negatively affected by it, I wouldn't miss the red arrows terribly.

Even though Phillipe is no longer registered as a member on the forum, I hope he reads the forum as a guest. Then he would realize how much he is missed and respected here.

And I wish he’d come back....and take red arrows as a joke and realize they were mostly by somebody obviously jealous of his success and respect here.

Add me as one who misses him.

Betty

I think he was also becoming increasingly frustrated with Alamy's reluctance to do anything about all the inaccurate keywording. Many of us have run across egregious examples and some people have reported them to Alamy. When there is no action to fix the problem it seems futile to report it. Alamy has a system to keep flawed images off the site but nothing is done about very flawed keywording.

Paulette

8 hours ago, Martin Carlsson said:

I intermittently pester him about it, but think he's kind of closed the book on this forum, most unfortunately.

Now that's extremely disappointing.  I think 99% of posters on here would like to see him back.

16 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Philippe did not leave because he could not cope with those people giving him reds.

He left because having made a complaint to Alamy he did not like the reply that he received. 

And on that, we refer you all in this thread to read the further detail we posted on this situation back in September.

http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/8183-might-we-just-stop-using-reds-and-greens/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-142847

Thanks

Alamy

21 hours ago, NYCat said:

I think he was also becoming increasingly frustrated with Alamy's reluctance to do anything about all the inaccurate keywording. Many of us have run across egregious examples and some people have reported them to Alamy. When there is no action to fix the problem it seems futile to report it. Alamy has a system to keep flawed images off the site but nothing is done about very flawed keywording.

Paulette

Alamy's ranking system should ensure badly keywording contributors will sink to the back of the pile. But for that to happen we need regular re-ranks.

Archived