Camera chip size limits

Lady Brown, I agree with most of your thoughts here. I felt I needed a super-wide view here in NYC, wider than 24mm. I use the Sonys RX10 and RX100/3 more, but that 10-18 has opened new horizons. David Kilpatrick, once a forum guru, said nice things about the Sony 10-18. 

But the 24MP NEX-7 . . . I used one for a couple of years, but sold it some months ago. Why? Results were fine, but it was the most user unfriendly camera I've ever own. I was keeping it as a backup to the NEX-6, but to navigate the thing I had to keep rechecking the manual. 

On 12/4/2017 at 01:59, Rick Lewis said:

Steve, a brand new Fuji X-E3 (24mp APS-C sensor) with the darn good kit lens (18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS) is $1300 here in the U.S.  I don't know where you are at but if that is too much then I would look for a used X-E2 with the kit lens.  You can probably get one for around $1000 or possibly less.  I rented an Olympus OMD E-M1 Mk II for a couple of days and found the m4/3's chip fine in perfect light but I was not happy with the dynamic range, or lack there of and the noise at higher ISOs, compared to the APS-C sensor cameras.

I take my Fuji X-E2 everywhere with me.  My Nikon D500 only comes out for specific shoots.

Rick

Thanks Rick

I am in the UK.

I got my eye on a used XT-20 and a wide prime, a 28 mm in 35 mm , gonna cost  but i cant p/ex any dslr stuff as i use that a lot.

i buy a lot of stuff from mpb and camera jungle used, both are good to deal with and gear is top notch for used.

i just want something with good image quality that i can carry wherever i go, i am missing so many shooting opportunities being tied to a big bulky dslr.

i just hope its good enough to pass Qc .

4 hours ago, steve harling said:

Thanks Rick

I am in the UK.

I got my eye on a used XT-20 and a wide prime, a 28 mm in 35 mm , gonna cost  but i cant p/ex any dslr stuff as i use that a lot.

i buy a lot of stuff from mpb and camera jungle used, both are good to deal with and gear is top notch for used.

i just want something with good image quality that i can carry wherever i go, i am missing so many shooting opportunities being tied to a big bulky dslr.

i just hope its good enough to pass Qc .

You will be fine with the X-T20.  That is a very good camera with very nice controls.  Easy to set up and shoot.  I hear you on the big bulky DSLRs.  Even the X-T2 is incredibly light and small but that will likely be out of your price range comfort.  You'll enjoy the X-T20.  A friend of mine has one and he loves it.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I did it, traded my NEX-6 to MPB for an as-new a6000!

If you are looking to sell, trade or buy (used) equipment, consider the British-based company MPB. The have an office here in NYC. https://www.mpb.com/en-us/

Congratulations, Ed! I’m sure you are looking forward to making images with it.  That is, once you learn your way around the differences from what you’re used to. 

I’m sure you’ll be better at that than I was when I bought my X-T1. Is it mirrorless? I’ve really not explored the specs. Hoo boy, if it is the images will smack you in the face. I have the bruises to prove it.

Betty

Archived