funkyworm

Sinterklaas kapoentje - Dec 5 rerank conclusions

18 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Let's wait till the year has ended.

So far the trend has been down.

Funny results in searches are not helping.

If the change was about getting images to the front that have sold well in the past, I'm not seeing that with some of my repeat sellers. Where commercially less successful images suddenly started to appear in front of the best sellers. And yes sometimes such an image sells once in a while. But nowhere near the numbers of the now deeply buried favorites of previous years.

Distributor sales keep on rising though. Which in turn lowers my cut even more.

wim

I am finding the same as Wim and I believe for the same reasons.  When the search engine changed last December many of my best sellers, which were near the front of my pseudo's search results before, became buried many pages down and often well beyond most search returns.  My images are still coming up on page 1 but not necessarily the best images for that particular search term and I can see no way of changing that.

As a result my sales volume is down by about 20% and revenue about 30% from 2016 in spite of adding around 100 new images each month.  Loss of DM sales will have contributed to the lower sales volume but not much to the lower revenue. At this point in time 2017 is worse than any year since 2007 for income.

Pearl

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

It is a complex matter and has changed as time has passed. Nearly a year ago, Alamy introduced the new Alamy Image Manager...

Many thanks for the explanation. Did Alamy ever explain what they had changed or is it all based on contributor observations?

What happened with the ranking system? In the past there used to be a re-rank every 100 days I think. I assume there hasn't been one since December 5th.  

My images on Alamy have increased from 6000 to 9000 over last 12 months = 50% increase.

My zooms have gone up strongly from 40 to 50 per month to 80 to 95 per month = 100% increase

My revenues have only gone up 20% so far. Difficult to judge what impact the changes to the search engine have had. 

Edited by andremichel

44 minutes ago, andremichel said:

Many thanks for the explanation. Did Alamy ever explain what they had changed or is it all based on contributor observations?

What happened with the ranking system? In the past there used to be a re-rank every 100 days I think. I assume there hasn't been one since December 5th.  

You are very welcome to the explanation, such as it is. Alamy, quite correctly, play their cards very close to their chest and tell us very little, other than what you will find on the Alamy blog and very occasional posts here on this subject. Such as we do know comes through sometimes quite detailed observations and experimentation by contributors. One or two have found themselves threatened with Alamy's naughty step through speculating in ways Alamy didn't like.  

As to a re-ranking. The order of images in search results seems to be more fluid and prone to minor changes than it once was (my gut feeling based on occasional observation of the good old BHZ search, rather than any rigorous scientific data) but, as far as I know, other than the massive shakedown in the system at the end of last year followed by Alamy tweaking the system from time to time, there hasn't been a re-rank this year in the way contributors would have previously recognised it. The most noticeable tweak was when the caption was given less weight than it carried in the initial AIM roll out (I can't remember exactly when that tweak was made, late Spring 2017, I would hazard).

• Upvote 1

Compared to all of 2016, my 2017 to date has 137% of the sales and 101% of the gross $$. Haven't spent any time revisiting old images, Sales are a mix of old, new and in between. I've added about 10% to my collection this year, but no sales from those images yet.

Edited by Bill Kuta

27 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

You are very welcome to the explanation, such as it is. Alamy, quite correctly, play their cards very close to their chest and tell us very little, other than what you will find on the Alamy blog and very occasional posts here on this subject. Such as we do know comes through sometimes quite detailed observations and experimentation by contributors. One or two have found themselves threatened with Alamy's naughty step through speculating in ways Alamy didn't like.  

As to a re-ranking. The order of images in search results seems to be more fluid and prone to minor changes than it once was (my gut feeling based on occasional observation of the good old BHZ search, rather than any rigorous scientific data) but, as far as I know, other than the massive shakedown in the system at the end of last year followed by Alamy tweaking the system from time to time, there hasn't been a re-rank this year in the way contributors would have previously recognised it. The most noticeable tweak was when the caption was given less weight than it carried in the initial AIM roll out (I can't remember exactly when that tweak was made, late Spring 2017, I would hazard).

I can appreciate what you are saying regarding tweaks and weighting on the caption, that are impacting search order either slightly or even substantially in some cases, but surely the ranking system still exists?

When I search using BHZ I am near the top of page 4. I may have fluctuated slightly but I'm sure I've still been on page 4 for many months now.   

Andy

3 minutes ago, andremichel said:

I can appreciate what you are saying regarding tweaks and weighting on the caption, that are impacting search order either slightly or even substantially in some cases, but surely the ranking system still exists?

When I search using BHZ I am near the top of page 4. I may have fluctuated slightly but I'm sure I've still been on page 4 for many months now.   

Andy

I'm sure there is still a ranking system. What I was saying, in response to the query, was that there doesn't seem to have been a re-rank producing a wholesale reordering of positions this year, such as we used to see every few months, where some contributors/pseudomyns were promoted up the search ranks and some demoted down on the strength of their CTR and sales.

39 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

I've added about 10% to my collection this year, but no sales from those images yet.

That's interesting. I've added a slightly higher percentage,  but my percentage of current-year sales has tripled. Obviously they all have the new tagging.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

The most noticeable tweak was when the caption was given less weight than it carried in the initial AIM roll out (I can't remember exactly when that tweak was made, late Spring 2017, I would hazard).

Yes, Alamy finally fixed AIM at the end of April, five months after rolling out a new search engine algorithm.  Not only was the caption put in it's place (rather than having the most impact in searches), but the non-functioning supertags finally worked as advertised (rather than having even less impact than regular tags).  No comments other than boilerplate were forthcoming from Alamy.

1 hour ago, andremichel said:

Andy

How is BHZ currently used? Should BHZ be a tag or a supertag? Should it be mentioned in the caption or not? And I assume the rule of one image per pseudonym still stands. 

12 minutes ago, Kukkudrill said:

How is BHZ currently used? Should BHZ be a tag or a supertag? Should it be mentioned in the caption or not? And I assume the rule of one image per pseudonym still stands. 

BHZ is supertag but not in caption. 

2 hours ago, andremichel said:

BHZ is supertag but not in caption. 

FWIW Alamy deprecate the use of bhz as misleading. I concluded it bore little relationship to my measures or sales- it always put me a few pages from the end even though I'm on the first page or two of quite a few specific searches with thousands of results- so I deleted mine this spring.

Edited by spacecadet

At the end of 2016 I had 3.980 images on sale. I have now around 6.500 - +65%

My number of sales went up by 62%

My gross revenue went up by 50%

Views have fallen, zooms seems to be the same.

Views have fallen by 30% and zooms by 55% :-(

Edited by Michael_Jacobs

13 hours ago, spacecadet said:

FWIW Alamy deprecate the use of bhz as misleading. I concluded it bore little relationship to my measures or sales- it always put me a few pages from the end even though I'm on the first page or two of quite a few specific searches with thousands of results- so I deleted mine this spring.

True, bhz can have little relation with where you end up in specific searches. And the bhz rankings are skewed because several people include bhz in their captions. But I find it useful all the same. 

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

It really does seem to be a mixed bag of winners and losers, which I guess is to be expected.

It does reinforce my view that one has to spread the risk in order not to be too drastically hit by a change by a seller of our work.