funkyworm

Sinterklaas kapoentje - Dec 5 rerank conclusions

So we are approaching a year since the new ranking procedure was introduced, December 5th last year.

At the time there was a lot of concern that it would have a detrimental effect on future sales. So what are the conclusions after a year?

My income this year will be down the lowest for more than a decade. The volume is about average. My own conclusion is that it hasnt made a huge difference although I am seeing different sorts of images selling, maybe because the clumping has disappeared in those subjects. The decline in income I put down to other factors such as the post brexit referendum exchange rate which has had a big negative effect, plus I opted into the newspaper scheme which i am not sure was a good idea.

I've doubled my sales this year and almost always have images on page one of a search, so it's been good for me.

Jill

Volume 96% of 2016

Revenue 101% of 2016

John

My sales and revenue are way up this year, and I do notice my images coming up a lot sooner in search results.

It’s worked well for me. Met 2016 volume in October, and I haven’t compared revenue, but feel it is up. My images are placed high. 

Betty

2016 was my best year for sales quantity. This year I have just equalled last years sales total but income is down by around 18%.

Jim.

Compared to 2016, the last year has been a big disappointment - down to 70% of 2016.

But... looking back over the downward trend 2013 to 2015, the lower results for 2017 seem to fit the slope to oblivion.

No dramatic changes here. Looks as if I'm headed for a few more sales than last year for less income -- i.e. my sales numbers are edging upward, while my revenue is edging downward. Sign of the times, I'd say.

I too finally opted into the newspaper scheme in 2026 2016 (sorry, fake news), but it hasn't made any difference one way or the other because I've made very few newspaper sales, which is what I expected.

Edited by John Mitchell

Let's wait till the year has ended.

So far the trend has been down.

Funny results in searches are not helping.

If the change was about getting images to the front that have sold well in the past, I'm not seeing that with some of my repeat sellers. Where commercially less successful images suddenly started to appear in front of the best sellers. And yes sometimes such an image sells once in a while. But nowhere near the numbers of the now deeply buried favorites of previous years.

Distributor sales keep on rising though. Which in turn lowers my cut even more.

wim

Just checked my feeling about revenue. Last year, I had 4 three figure sales. This year, 10. And a lot of $60-80 sales.

37 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

2016 was my best year for sales quantity. This year I have just equalled last years sales total but income is down by around 18%.

Jim.

I can say almost exactly the same

Alex

my $$ are up, volume is to date slightly lower than last year. 

overall, if it would not be for the joy, the $$'s do not pay for the work - but the joy and fun does :)

Edited by hdh

1 hour ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Jim.

37 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

I can say almost exactly the same

Alex

Very similar for me, too: 2016 best year, one sale short of last year at present, income down around 18%. Spooky. 😱

From the very day the change was made my views, zooms and sales all tanked and are consistent;y running at less than 50% compared to the previous year. Nothing I have done has made a noticeable difference. Maybe prior to the change I was over-performing and this is the new reality. It is not a pleasant reality as far as I am concerned.

22 minutes ago, andremichel said:

Can someone please summarise what changed a year ago? 

It is a complex matter and has changed as time has passed. Nearly a year ago, Alamy introduced the new Alamy Image Manager which changed the way images were keyworded (now called Tags and Supertags). For some contributors, the import of their old keywords went awry and what were meant to be phrases ended up as individual word tags. Much work has been put into editing legacy images by some contributors to rectify the shortcomings of the changeover, while others have simply left things as they were. It remains unclear which approach has had the better outcome in terms of maintaining or improving sales. 

At about the same time it became clear that changes had been made to the actual search engine itself. One noticeable change at the time was that much more emphasis was given to words in the caption, sometimes outweighing the allocated keywords in a given search. This was later tweaked by Alamy and the bias towards the caption is not as strong as it was, though it is still important. 

The sum total of all the changes Alamy introduced at that time means that some contributors (myself included) have reported getting noticeably fewer views, zooms and sales than they had seen previously (I am running at about 50% of each compared to 2016  after five years of continual growth). As you can see from this thread, not everybody has experienced such a deleterious effect and some have seen little change.

• Upvote 2

Joseph has summed it up rather nicely. This last year has been poor for me since the change with sales down around 30% (rough guesstimate) however revenue surprisingly is up around 17% no doubt due to one very large sale in Sept. I think that the loss of DM sales had an adverse effect for me too because I had regular sales to them. What for the future? Well I haven't added a lot of images this year because I don't like using the new AIM. For some reason it seems to take longer to tag using it and tagging is such a drag for me at the best of times. I'll keep plugging away though albeit at a much slower pace. Every day in every way I must try harder. ;)

It's been a very good year to date for me. The best year ever on Alamy.  I spent a great deal of time at the latter end of 2016 adjusting captions, keywords and phrases on my legacy images and it's paid off. 

Against 2016, sales are up 40% with revenue up 50%

19 hours ago, funkyworm said:

The decline in income I put down to other factors such as the post brexit referendum exchange rate which has had a big negative effect

This comment doesn't make any sense to me. Since sales are in USD, if you are not UK based the sterling exchange rate is irrelevant. If you are UK based, then sales in the UK are converted to USD then back to GBP when you are paid. There is a double conversion cost but the USD/GBP rate is fairly stable (yes the GBP fell after Brexit and has now found its level)) so this is as it has always been.

However if the sale is outside the UK a lower exchange rate will give you more GBP for each dollar earned.

14 minutes ago, Russell said:

This comment doesn't make any sense to me. Since sales are in USD, if you are not UK based the sterling exchange rate is irrelevant. If you are UK based, then sales in the UK are converted to USD then back to GBP when you are paid. There is a double conversion cost but the USD/GBP rate is fairly stable (yes the GBP fell after Brexit and has now found its level)) so this is as it has always been.

However if the sale is outside the UK a lower exchange rate will give you more GBP for each dollar earned.

There would have been a temporary effect for a eurozone contributor of getting fewer euro for any sales denominated in sterling until Alamy adjusted its sterling prices, which it now seems to have done. Two years ago he would have got about €13.50 for a £10 PU; now it's about €11.50.

Ticking along a bit below last year until a spectacular blip since the beginning of October with 40% of the year's turnover since then and a doubling of the average, so now a third up on last year in both sales and revenue.

I have hardly touched my legacy keywords, mainly since the overtagged ones are effectively uneditable. Views a bit up, zooms and CTR about the same.

Edited by spacecadet

It might be difficult to pinpoint the cause of any sale fluctuations.

In my case, I am having the best year ever (since 2003) in terms of volume, but I believe this is because I added several thousand pictures this year, most of them not widely represented on Alamy.

What I did notice, as someone also pointed out, is that I had a lot more licenses of old images (i.e. either uploaded or taken years ago) than before. Is this a result of the new search engine? I don't know.

Gen

Edited by gvallee
Typo

1 hour ago, Russell said:

To concur with Spacecadets comment. That sales are reported in USD does not necessarily mean that they are billed to the customer in USD. I noticed that the dollar price reported for same usage to the same UK customers reduced by around the same differential as the currency reduction. As you mention for those in the UK it is just a currency carousel as it gets converted back to pounds. For those of us outside the UK it means reduced income until (if) the prices are increased for UK customers which Spacecadet mentions has happened, although I dont really see it in my amounts. Alamy being just one of a number of my income sources working in the UK the lower exchange rate has not exactly been beneficial for my one man international media imperium.

Similar volume, less revenue. Only submitted a dozen images or so, and opted out of the Newspaper scheme, and will be coming out of the distributor scheme as well in April.

Posted by Rob Cook

Edited by York Photographer

34 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

To concur with Spacecadets comment. That sales are reported in USD does not necessarily mean that they are billed to the customer in USD. I noticed that the dollar price reported for same usage to the same UK customers reduced by around the same differential as the currency reduction. As you mention for those in the UK it is just a currency carousel as it gets converted back to pounds. For those of us outside the UK it means reduced income until (if) the prices are increased for UK customers which Spacecadet mentions has happened, although I dont really see it in my amounts. Alamy being just one of a number of my income sources working in the UK the lower exchange rate has not exactly been beneficial for my one man international media imperium.

There were some posts about the sterling PU price changing, but now you mention it I think they put it down to near £-€ parity, which doesn't help you and contradicts what I thought. So it looks like you're stuffed, at least for PUs and the similar off-the-shelf licences in sterling.

We certainly are. Those glasses of Riesling are getting pricier.

Edited by spacecadet