News Images sent to QC

A couple images I sent to Live News on Saturday, appeared in the News feed, and showed up in AIM as On sale. Then Sunday they appeared in AIM as awaiting QC and not on sale.  That s where they are now.  Is this something new?  Anybody else have this happen to them recently?

Maria

If the News team decide that a submission is too late or otherwise not suitable as "News" they will send it into QC for processing as a normal submitted batch.

I think it's both a way of preventing contributors dodging the QC process, and of maintaining the standard of the News Feed to the newspapers and other subscribers.

I think you'll find it's happened to several of us.

Russell

I understand your points.  These images were newsworthy (Remembrance Day ceremony -I see others in the Live News feed) and were sent in shortly after they occurred.  So I'm not sure what happened.  I have written to CR.

Maria

same happened to me this weekend - I think the pictures were newsworthy, covering the opening of the carnival season in Cologne. 

This morning they appeared in normal QC. 

Have also emailed member services about this. 

3 hours ago, Russell said:

If the News team decide that a submission is too late or otherwise not suitable as "News" they will send it into QC for processing as a normal submitted batch.

I think it's both a way of preventing contributors dodging the QC process, and of maintaining the standard of the News Feed to the newspapers and other subscribers.

I think you'll find it's happened to several of us.

Russell

Just re-thought your post while out for lunch. 

This makes it a bit risky to upload news pictures, which by definition may not fulfil the Alamy QC standards (albeit mine presumably did on Saturday)

I would be more comfortable that if its not news, it be rejected and deleted - or even better be under the uploaders control to submit further to Stock. 

2 hours ago, MariaJ said:

I understand your points.  These images were newsworthy (Remembrance Day ceremony -I see others in the Live News feed) and were sent in shortly after they occurred.  So I'm not sure what happened.  I have written to CR.

Maria

I wonder if News team felt that after 24hours the Saturday Remembrance Day pictures were out of date and superceded by the larger Remembrance Sunday events?

Just now, Martin P Wilson said:

I wonder if News team felt that after 24hours the Saturday Remembrance Day pictures were out of date and superceded by the larger Remembrance Sunday events?

mine were not remembrance day but opening of the carnival season, which weirdly enough is on the same day - Nov. 11th. 

Weird enough, despite rejection and now not on sale as for QC check, they survived in the forum posts : 

kh0t0j.jpg

Probably someone pressing a button too quickly by mistake. Happened to me, too, a few weeks ago. They said I could re-upload into news, but I didn't.

I remember I saw a few  "German carnival season opening" uploads on the news feed that day. Maybe too many of the QC team were working on the remembrance type images, and someone accidentally pushed one of the German carnival uploads into QC? Did they respond to your query? It's a shame really, the German papers used to love silly season pics!

3 hours ago, hdh said:

Just re-thought your post while out for lunch. 

This makes it a bit risky to upload news pictures, which by definition may not fulfil the Alamy QC standards (albeit mine presumably did on Saturday)

I would be more comfortable that if its not news, it be rejected and deleted - or even better be under the uploaders control to submit further to Stock. 

I've made this observation on these forums in the past. News footage comes with a caveat that it might not be technically perfect. 

Edit: Started a thread in the suggestions part of the forum to make this pint: 

7 hours ago, MariaJ said:

A couple images I sent to Live News on Saturday, appeared in the News feed, and showed up in AIM as On sale. Then Sunday they appeared in AIM as awaiting QC and not on sale.  That s where they are now.  Is this something new?  Anybody else have this happen to them recently?

Maria

Exactly what happened to me. Remembrance Day images uploaded as news feed the same day (Nov/11th). They all appeared in the news feed and on sale on Saturday. Then Sunday they appeared in AIM, and are still waiting for QC. Here is Alamy's reply to the e-mail I sent them:

Thanks for the mail – unfortunately the weekend shifters are no longer on desk & having had a quick look in your account dashboard your most recent uploads are appearing as ‘stock’ – if the picture desk editor had removed them they should have advised you (but it is very dependent on workload!)

Apologies for any inconvenience,

3 hours ago, imageplotter said:

Probably someone pressing a button too quickly by mistake. Happened to me, too, a few weeks ago. They said I could re-upload into news, but I didn't.

I remember I saw a few  "German carnival season opening" uploads on the news feed that day. Maybe too many of the QC team were working on the remembrance type images, and someone accidentally pushed one of the German carnival uploads into QC? Did they respond to your query? It's a shame really, the German papers used to love silly season pics!

yes, they came back to me and it seems to have happened in error. 

At first I got the same mail as Rubens: 

40 minutes ago, Rubens Alarcon said:

Exactly what happened to me. Remembrance Day images uploaded as news feed the same day (Nov/11th). They all appeared in the news feed and on sale on Saturday. Then Sunday they appeared in AIM, and are still waiting for QC. Here is Alamy's reply to the e-mail I sent them:

Thanks for the mail – unfortunately the weekend shifters are no longer on desk & having had a quick look in your account dashboard your most recent uploads are appearing as ‘stock’ – if the picture desk editor had removed them they should have advised you (but it is very dependent on workload!)

Apologies for any inconvenience,

In reply I send another mail as "I wanted to understand the reason, to enable me to make better decisions whether to upload stock or news in future and to that decision apply my relevant QC workflow."

To that the news team re-analysed and came back to me stating removing the batch from the news feed happened in error. 

The batch is currently still in QC , the pictures are not coming up in search , but as my previous post shows the Alamy thumbs are still accessible. 

I do think all the images fulfil the usual QC criteria and hope the batch will be released tomorrow. (fingers crossed for no QC fail) 

36 minutes ago, hdh said:

The batch is currently still in QC , the pictures are not coming up in search , but as my previous post shows the Alamy thumbs are still accessible. 

I do think all the images fulfil the usual QC criteria and hope the batch will be released tomorrow. (fingers crossed for no QC fail) 

All my images have just been approved by QC. I hope yours will go through.

Just received the mail for QC passed. 

I assume - from reading between the lines -  somebody new might have been on shift over the weekend and pressing the wrong buttons. 

May be additional training is on its way. 

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Haven't had this happen recently, but a few years ago, I had a live news image deemed "not newsworthy" (it probably was) and sent to QC where it failed. I then spent a month in the infamous Sin Bin. Hopefully, that doesn't happen any longer.

The last time I failed qc, a few years ago, this is what happened to me, an image was removed from news and put into qc.  And then failed.

I just got the passed qc email, so thankfully not the same outcome.

27 minutes ago, hdh said:

I assume - from reading between the lines -  somebody new might have been on shift over the weekend and pressing the wrong buttons. 

Alamy recently had a listing for a Part Time opening on the News Team to work alternate Sundays. It seems to have been filled.

56 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

Alamy recently had a listing for a Part Time opening on the News Team to work alternate Sundays. It seems to have been filled.

I was too afraid to mention that - lets hope for a steep learning curve

1 hour ago, MariaJ said:

This is the 4th time I've submitted Remembrance day images to Live News so I don't see a reason why they were moved to regular stock.

I've uploaded Remembrance Day images in the past -- not this year, though -- and they've never been moved to stock.

However, a couple of months ago, I uploaded some news images that were less than 24 hours old and received an e-mail from Alamy saying that they were too old but they would keep in the live news feed anyway. I thought that was a bit odd. However I didn't say anything. 

14 hours ago, hdh said:

Yes, probably. Seems to be a weekend thing where they may have less staff as well. Still, quite frustrating!

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't read all the replies...

Had the same a few months ago, but I did get a mail from the live news explaining why...

Basically I messed up with the captions...

From what I understand:

- photos have to be news worthy

- uploaded within 24h

- keyworded as usual, but Title and Headline should - besides to the potential buyers - also give the news team enough info to decide if its newsworthy

On 13/11/2017 at 17:28, MariaJ said:

Maria

This has just happened to me. Definitely newsworthy, a small eruption of mt Agung, taken 10.30am Bali time yesterday and uploaded within 1.5 hours via Live News. AIM showed on sale, but this morning not in News and now in QC queue. 

If your shots  have been deemed newsworthy and appeared as Live News, I suspect an admin error has redirected them.

The one time that my Live News shot was deemed un live news worthy it never made it to the live news stream, but went straight to QC (and passed).

Have to say that it deterred me from uploading Live News shots for a while. The criteria are insufficiently clear. For example I recently took some shots of a Xmas market, but decided that, as the market went on for some time, they might not be eligible, and I decided not to go down that route. Doubt and procrastination rule....

On reflection it might be better if the live news team were merely to reject the images ( rather than send to QC)  they feel are not relevant and send an e-mail to that effect, the contributor could then decide whether or not to upload by the normal means. 

My latest Live News upload was accepted, which is just as well as I probably would not have uploaded via the normal route - focus just not quite on the main subject.

Archived