Sony RX100 mk i in 2017

Hi is anyone still using sony RX100 mk 1 in 2017? Does is still pass the QA with Alamy? I am interested in both extremes, the wide end at aperture wide open, and long end with apperture wide open.

I am considering a purchase.

Thank you.

There has been a lot of discussion of the original  RX100 and the later models on this forum -- do a search in the forum. 

I own the RX100 iii. It was the first model that had a popup viewfinder. It also has a wide end of 24mm, where the RX100 has 28mm. 

I've never had an image captured with this little Sony that did not pass Alamy QC. 

Edo

I use a RX100 mark1 occasionally. Passes QC. Good walking around camera. The lens is not that great wide open, so I stop down 2 stops at the wide end and 1/2 stop at the long end. Do your own tests.

My frustration with the camera is everything is in focus at best aperture, resulting in some bad backgrounds that detract from the subject.

Like this one.

traffic-stops-for-surfboards-crossing-st

My Mk1 - purchased in 2013 - has just died. A great little camera. Hundreds of sales both stock and news from this camera. No QC issues.

I will definately purchase another, most probably the Mk111. Will have to wait until my next trip back to the UK. No Sony cashback offer here

in Spain.

Joe

I'm still using a Mk1 RX100 that I purchased 4 years ago. Great little camera and I haven't had a QC failure with it during that time (that's probably tempting fate!).

I use it as a general  purpose camera that I have with me if I'm not out specifically to shoot photos, and I don't really test it at the extremes of settings of ISO, aperture etc. I have a Nikon DSLR that I use for more challenging situations or where I prefer having a viewfinder, e.g. for sports or action photographs.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I know this has already been discussed, but do most of you downsize images from the RX100 for submission to Alamy?

I'm planning on getting one of these little cameras (probably a used one) when finances permit.

Yes, I downsize most of my images to have the longest side 3600 pixels.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I know this has already been discussed, but do most of you downsize images from the RX100 for submission to Alamy?

I'm planning on getting one of these little cameras (probably a used one) when finances permit.

Only if necessary.

I just sold this image of Brookfield Place in Toronto.  Taken with my RX100 II and not downsized.  I did have to straighten it and crop out some distracting stuff, but no downsizing.

rbc-securities-building-inside-the-allen

I pretty much use the Sony 80% of the time instead of my Canon.

Jill

14 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

This was shot in one of the night modes.  I've not used that mode again in the past two years, so I can't remember which one. 

a-palapa-and-fence-leading-to-the-beach-

I've never used the night mode. Must try it.  Was this hand held?

Jill

4 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I've never used the night mode. Must try it.  Was this hand held?

Jill

It wasn’t on a tripod, possibly braced on a wooden rail of a fence. It’s been two years! One of the modes takes three quick shots to combine and that’s how it eliminates noise. I think that is probably the jpeg one. I tried both. Can’t remember what this one was. 

If I remember right, was it Phillipe that recommended one of them?  And David Kilpatrick showcased some night shots, too.

I need to dig out my manual. :D

Betty

Archived