Using tablet as remote for rx100 iii

Does anyone use another device (pc, ipad, mobile phone) as a remote for their rx100? I was wondering if when you use it as a remote (which I understand you can), does it save the image to your memory card still or does it go to the remote device? Thanks

It always saves the image to the memory card. There will probably be an option to save it on the mobile too, but I find it too slow, so I never use it. In the studio this may not be a problem.

wim

I used the Canon 70d with my mobile phone as a remote, still very occasionally do. 

Assuming that it may work the same way - the mobile phone acts as a remote and also displays the picture that the camera sees. 

So in wildlife one can place a camera, wait at a hidden location observing the phone and release once the elephant is in sight. 

The pictures taken are stored internally on the camera's SD card.

They can also be transmitted to the mobile phone on request. 

As said, this is for Canon, using  their mobile phone app.   

I do not do that often, as the battery drain, on both the camera and the mobile phone, is rather high.

I have never measured the time but guesstimate that batteries last at maximum for  one or two hours. 

Yes carry spare batteries. For a day I carry 2 for the camera and 2 for the phone. Only once or twice  I have had to use the last one. I have tried a powerbank, but found that too cumbersome for my setup.

wim

I use the RX100 mk2 and have used the RX10 mk2 and use the A7R mk2. The RX100 2 is straight forward with it's settings, but the other two have a different place to set RAW+Jpegs plus some other settings than the camera's default. So beware if that's maybe the case with the mk3. I have returned home with only jpgs twice. The horror.

In general: start the app and see if you can access the settings. It was NOT in the manual. I found it here.

wim

6 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

I use the RX100 mk2 and have used the RX10 mk2 and use the A7R mk2. The RX100 2 is straight forward with it's settings, but the other two have a different place to set RAW+Jpegs plus some other settings than the camera's default. So beware if that's maybe the case with the mk3. I have returned home with only jpgs twice. The horror.

In general: start the app and see if you can access the settings. It was NOT in the manual. I found it here.

wim

great thank you Wim, I have bookmarked it. It not something I would of checked I would of assumed it all stayed as set, so very useful to know. 

18 hours ago, mickfly said:

I use a phone as a remote, BUT if you shoot RAW only it will only send a small file to the phone, so choose RAW/JPEG if you need a full-sized Jpeg on your phone.

Thanks Mick, I am hoping to be able to NOT save to the 'remote' device, just the sd card. Going to have a play this week after I have had a good read of the link Wim provided. 

Archived