Editorial and PU questions

My apologies. I know all this has been discussed before, but my confusion persists...

If we click the sell for editorial use only box in AIM, when should we also check the don't sell for personal use / wall art  box -- i.e. for what types of subjects should both boxes be clicked?

Also, is selling wall art prints through Alamy (or thru POD sites) a type of commercial use? And what exactly does the phrase "non-retail wall art prints" in AIM mean?

Told you I was confused. B)

51 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Also, is selling wall art prints through Alamy (or thru POD sites) a type of commercial use? And what exactly does the phrase "non-retail wall art prints" in AIM mean?

I suspect that non-retail wall art means making a single print for one's own use whereas retail wall art prints means printing in bulk to sell to other people. I would count the first use as non-commercial and only the second as commercial. Hope this makes sense :)

19 hours ago, Kukkudrill said:

I suspect that non-retail wall art means making a single print for one's own use whereas retail wall art prints means printing in bulk to sell to other people. I would count the first use as non-commercial and only the second as commercial. Hope this makes sense :)

Yes, that makes sense. So "non retail" must mean wall prints that are not being made for resale by the buyer. This type of thing is tough to monitor, but that's another story. 

Are there there any types of images that you think should be restricted to editorial use only and not be made available for PU/wall prints as well?

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Are there there any types of images that you think should be restricted to editorial use only and not be made available for PU/wall prints as well?

I was going to say none come to mind, but you've got me thinking. If individual buyers can buy editorial-only images to make wall prints for themselves, they are not retailing the image. But what about Alamy itself? If Alamy is making editorial-only images available to buyers as wall prints, does that put Alamy in the position of a retailer? Could the subject of an editorial-only image object to the photo being sold for personal use/wall prints? And if so, where does this leave the contributor?

On the other hand it's easy to overthink all this and to tie oneself up in knots. 

8 minutes ago, Kukkudrill said:

I was going to say none come to mind, but you've got me thinking. If individual buyers can buy editorial-only images to make wall prints for themselves, they are not retailing the image. But what about Alamy itself? If Alamy is making editorial-only images available to buyers as wall prints, does that put Alamy in the position of a retailer? Could the subject of an editorial-only image object to the photo being sold for personal use/wall prints? And if so, where does this leave the contributor?

On the other hand it's easy to overthink all this and to tie oneself up in knots. 

Interesting point...not that I know the answer! 

20 hours ago, Kukkudrill said:

But what about Alamy itself? If Alamy is making editorial-only images available to buyers as wall prints, does that put Alamy in the position of a retailer? Could the subject of an editorial-only image object to the photo being sold for personal use/wall prints? And if so, where does this leave the contributor?

This is what I was wondering. Selling wall prints -- even one at a time -- might (?) be considered a commercial or "retail" activity.

Your other two questions are stumpers. People could object, but I don't know if they would have any legal ground to stand on. I prefer to send images without recognizable people to POD sites. However, I do have a couple with people in them that have sold as prints.

Archived