geogphotos

Why didn't I take that picture...doh

Jazz band playing in Retiro Park, madrid - only 6 on Alamy, could have done close-ups of musicians, instruments, the band playing away, wider shots.

Shyness? Too mean to put a few euros in the pot? 

Next time I won't miss that sort of picture, must remember! 

Any other missed opportunities that should not be missed if there is a next time?

Edited by geogphotos

I think there's only one photo that I really regret not taking. A clear bright orange sky with the entire skyline of San Francisco silhouetted against it. One of the most stunning panoramas I've ever seen. I was on the other side of the Bay, on an elevated section of freeway with nowhere to pull off, I was tired and had been driving for hours and I coudn't be bothered to take the next exit and go back to find a vantage point. That was 20 years ago almost to the day and I still regret it.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looking through AofA I saw a search for 'isles of scilly thai takeaway' - and 0 views.

Having been to the Scillys in May but not yet uploaded all my pictures I thought I must have one being as it's unusual being a mobile Thai restaurant. We even ordered a take away from it a couple of times, but alas I didn't take any photos of it. Doh!

John.

1DSC7512crop.jpg

Next morning from our hotel window.

3.5km/2.18M away.

wim

edit: and what Allan said.

Edited by wiskerke

10 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Jazz band playing in Retiro Park, madrid - only 6 on Alamy, could have done close-ups of musicians, instruments, the band playing away, wider shots.

Shyness? Too mean to put a few euros in the pot? 

Next time I won't miss that sort of picture, must remember! 

Any other missed opportunities that should not be missed if there is a next time?

I took some shots of these guys at Retiro park but I don't have the keywords 'jazz band'. I better add them!

street-musicians-playing-at-retiro-park-

It's a psychological thing.

For example, (if) you go to the woods to get some autumnal foliage. On the way there you see the most interesting subject, but as you're are set for some nature, you decide you will come back to it. However, your brain doesn't work that way. At least your subconscious brain doesn't. This image will keep popping up in your mind and will make your day pretty miserable. Best thing is, take a quick picture if your brain tells you to, then move on. Clears the buffers.

Edited by vpics
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, andremichel said:

I took some shots of these guys at Retiro park but I don't have the keywords 'jazz band'. I better add them!

street-musicians-playing-at-retiro-park-

That's cool!

And I can use your information about the  Artichoke Fountain ...fair swap I'd say:D

They look like (Romanian) gypsies :) 

Could be a good phrase/keyword to add as well. 

13 minutes ago, vpics said:

For example, (if) you go to the woods to get some autumnal foliage. On the way there you see the most interesting subject, but as you're are set for some nature, you decide you will come back to it. However, your brain doesn't work that way. At least your subconscious brain doesn't. This image will keep popping up in your mind and will make your day pretty miserable. Best thing is, take a quick picture if your brain tells you to, then move on. Clears the buffers.

This happens to me all the time -- the "indecisive moment" to paraphrase HBC.

Too many lost opportunities to count...

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

That's cool!

And I can use your information about the  Artichoke Fountain ...fair swap I'd say:D

Yes sounds fair. :D

2 hours ago, vpics said:

wow, left me speechless ... +1 

Not sure I'd have uploaded it, but a few years ago I was sitting in a deck chair, camera in hand, at the Hay Festival when Dave Gilmour walked past me. He clocked the camera and I think he expected me to jump up and ask to take a photo, but I was honestly completely starstruck and remaining rooted in that damn chair. Regret it to this day. The Hay Festival is a happy hunting ground for me. I've shot an ex-Archbishop of Canterbury, a truly obnoxious rock 'legend' who shall remain nameless, a former England rugby player and now commentator with a reputation for being blunt and rude, but who couldn't have been nicer and, of course, any number of writers. I've had two sales this autumn of a shot of Kazuo Ishiguro (prompted no doubt by his Nobel prize), but that missed opportunity burns - oh how it burns!

I don't go out hunting so called celebs as I would not recognise one if they stood in front of me and said, "Hey I'm a celebrity, take my photo."

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I don't go out hunting so called celebs as I would not recognise one if they stood in front of me and said, "Hey I'm a celebrity, take my photo."

Allan

Or when you get to my age you stand there watching them disappear into the crowd, wracking your brains and trying to work out where you know them from...

Hay is something of an annual family pilgrimage. I don't actively seek out well-known people, but if you're not careful you trip over them. One year I gave up my seat to an old boy who looked like he needed somewhere to eat his sandwich. As I looked back I realised it was Tony Benn. Anyone seeking notoriety could have a field day...