Most of you regulars have seen my posts about how hard I’m working on my legacy images. I’ve really been pounding them hard recently.  I was ill for weeks in July, then again recently. I am just now recovering.

Since I couldn’t go out and shoot, I had more time to work on my legacy images. For instance, I put in about 3 hours last evening.

I just checked, and it appears all I have left to do is 5 months of uploads from 2008. Then I’ll make a run through everything to be sure I didn’t miss any. This will be like taking an elephant off my back once done. Wish I could then throw a party and supply all with your favorite libation. I’ll have a Mai Tai or three, (or Margueritas) and slide under the table with a silly grin on my face.

I should have it wrapped up before 2018.  One thing I’ve noticed. The farther back I go into the early years, the worse my keywording and captions were. I really didn’t much understand what I was doing!  I’ve done so many palm/face plants that my nose looks like I’ve been 3 rounds with a prize fighter. Fixing those have given me the greatest satisfaction, because it’s like I’ve rescued them from the bin and put them into circulation.

Whether I make more sales from all the work, who knows.  Even if I don’t, it’s still worth it to me because those images are now right with the world. A job well-done. And I always get satisfaction from that. 

Betty

Well done Betty!! 

I'm going through mine slowly and I feel that adding a missed keyword/tag is almost the equivalent of adding a new image. After all, it would not have been found!

I wish you many sales for your efforts.

Gen

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

Well done Betty!! 

I'm going through mine slowly and I feel that adding a missed keyword/tag is almost the equivalent of adding a new image. After all, it would not have been found!

I wish you many sales for your efforts.

Gen

Oh, Gen, with the size of your port, the fact that you’re working on them at all is admirable! 

You’re right about it being like adding a new image by adding a vital tag or two. Plus I had quite a few with no plurals.

First thing first, I hope you make a speedy and full recovery from your recent illnesses. Nothing is worse than being unwell.

It's great that you're nearing the end of legacy tagging and I know how time consuming it is. I myself have been working at it, albeit slowly, and I don't enjoy it. I'm still not sure that I'm doing it right but like you I like the fact that my early submissions are now being tagged better than when I first started out. Even if I'm not doing it well now it's still better than before and can only improve views.

I'm going through my best psuedo and adding the full 10 supertags after having gone through my whole collection beefing up my Captions to closer to the new character limit.  Excruciating work.

Even worse, with 90% of my port with duplicate keywords way past 50 tags, I can't add any more tags, or change misspellings, or add plurals, etc..  Deleting duplicate tags is simply not an option - I'd lose the will to live. 

1 minute ago, Southmind said:

Lol :D. As ex software developer , I am sure that Alamy dev team can add a function to remove duplicate keywords in one click. Stay alive !

I'm sure they can too Serge, but they won't.  Asked and answered. 

There was talk about doing this automatically for everyone, at which some balked, understandably so.  But putting in a button that removes exact duplicates in one image or selected images would, I think, be acceptable for all.  Who knows, maybe after the IT department fix that search box in AIM, they can get on to this.  One can only hope.

5 minutes ago, Reimar said:

There was talk about doing this automatically for everyone, at which some balked, understandably so.  But putting in a button that removes exact duplicates in one image or selected images would, I think, be acceptable for all.  Who knows, maybe after the IT department fix that search box in AIM, they can get on to this.  One can only hope.

it is rather simple to make ... Is someone knows if Alamy provide API to access their system ? 

There are some with duplicates and over 50 that I didn’t touch. I reviewed to see if the important tags were there, and if so, I selected supertags, fixed captions and moved on. 

There were some, though, that needed relevant tags added, so I had to do the painful deleting so I could add them. And this is very painful when I spend 30 minutes on a handful of images.

Betty

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

No extra button or any other fancy function.

Just Ctrl-A and delete would do.

Now I think of it, maybe I do want one extra button: Switch off the telephone app and return to a plain desktop form.

(If they need an excuse, let's just say it's for the odd Luddite that can no longer keep up.)

wim

49 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

No extra button or any other fancy function.

Just Ctrl-A and delete would do.

wim

Why not Wim?  I don't want to delete everything, just duplicates.

What's wrong with a button for that?

3 hours ago, Reimar said:

Why not Wim?  I don't want to delete everything, just duplicates.

What's wrong with a button for that?

Before you know it there will be buttons for everything, except for the thing you just want to do.

I was just discussing a totally different UX and we came to the conclusion that either you have to stay very close to the existing (30yrs+ in this case) workflow and operability

or you have to adhere rigidly to general standards and everyday practices. Like users are bound to use in their normal lives.

I'm not in favor of using MsDos or WordPerfect type shortcuts and antics, so my preferred innovation is to get as close to the mainstream as possible. And as close to ingrained routines as well. And design may never trump operability.

There are many tests possible, but the best test involves a stopwatch:

Was the old one faster than the new one? Scrap the new one; don't pay the consultant nor the designer; demand those Audi keys back.

And at home google sunken cost fallacy.

(/rant)

wim

Wim, I have nothing against selecting all tags for an image and deleting the bunch if you want to start all over again.  I know some have asked about such functionality and it makes sense.

But if you're going to get the stopwatch out for trying to delete duplicates for an image, you know a one button solution will be WAY better than the alternative of going blind trying to find duplicates manually.

Congratulations, @Betty LaRue!!  Now, in six months report back your reward for doing so.  I would be very interested in how many zooms & sales of those "legacy" images have produced.

I only had a small handful of images to "fix" but still, I know how tedious a job that is.  Well done!! 

Rick

15 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

Congratulations, @Betty LaRue!!  Now, in six months report back your reward for doing so.  I would be very interested in how many zooms & sales of those "legacy" images have produced.

I only had a small handful of images to "fix" but still, I know how tedious a job that is.  Well done!! 

Rick

Sounds like a plan, Rick! 

I finished my legacy images last night.  :D

At my leisure, I will double-check for anything missed.  When I reported what I had left to do, it turns out there were far fewer to do. When I first started, I worked the oldest images first. They had the poorest tags. I had not yet begun giving the submissions a title. That came a bit later when I realized a title would show me the folders I had finished.

As a result, I found folders yesterday that were done, just not titled. 

I am continuing to make sales of older images. Whether that has any relationship to reworking, who knows. Others here who have done nothing to their legacy images are also selling them. I guess it would come down to percentages, and I’ll need to give it some months to let it shake out.

My iPad has been invaluable to this chore. I’ve managed to put in 1-3 hours most evenings from the comfort of my sofa while keeping an eye on the television and having conversation with my husband.

Shortcomings of the iPad...I cannot combine single tags into a phrase. But I can delete the singles and type in the phrase. It would be faster on my iMac, but then, I would not be squirreled away in my office in the evenings.

Betty

31 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I finished my legacy images last night.  :D

At my leisure, I will double-check for anything missed.  When I reported what I had left to do, it turns out there were far fewer to do. When I first started, I worked the oldest images first. They had the poorest tags. I had not yet begun giving the submissions a title. That came a bit later when I realized a title would show me the folders I had finished.

As a result, I found folders yesterday that were done, just not titled. 

I am continuing to make sales of older images. Whether that has any relationship to reworking, who knows. Others here who have done nothing to their legacy images are also selling them. I guess it would come down to percentages, and I’ll need to give it some months to let it shake out.

My iPad has been invaluable to this chore. I’ve managed to put in 1-3 hours most evenings from the comfort of my sofa while keeping an eye on the television and having conversation with my husband.

Shortcomings of the iPad...I cannot combine single tags into a phrase. But I can delete the singles and type in the phrase. It would be faster on my iMac, but then, I would not be squirreled away in my office in the evenings.

Betty

you could just get a laptop :)

30 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

There are excellent add on keyboards for iPads.  Apple makes a nice one and Logitech makes several.

wim

I'll check it out, wim. But I doubt it would fit on my lap with my iPad!  The beauty of using it is that it is small, light, and very handy.  And lap-size! :D

I doubt that a keyboard would allow me to combine tags, would it?  Besides the fact that if it did, I missed the boat, since I've finished those pesky legacy images. I could have used that ability when I began.  Nowadays, with everything since AIM, I make my phrases at the outset.

I think I've done 95% of the corrections on my iPad.  I just never could get excited about sitting at the Big Boy doing it.  

I have a greater understanding about why people aren't fixing their legacy images if they don't have a laptop or iPad.

Betty

23 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I'll check it out, wim. But I doubt it would fit on my lap with my iPad!  The beauty of using it is that it is small, light, and very handy.  And lap-size! :D

I doubt that a keyboard would allow me to combine tags, would it?  Besides the fact that if it did, I missed the boat, since I've finished those pesky legacy images. I could have used that ability when I began.  Nowadays, with everything since AIM, I make my phrases at the outset.

I think I've done 95% of the corrections on my iPad.  I just never could get excited about sitting at the Big Boy doing it.  

I have a greater understanding about why people aren't fixing their legacy images if they don't have a laptop or iPad.

Betty

Which maybe proves the design was done for an iPad. Like that app is made for iPhones.

Do you think we will ever get a special prosecutor investigating if the Russians are secretly trying to influence us all into buying iPads? ;-)

We have that Logitech and it's predecessor on the previous iPad. They are reasonably lap friendly. The Apple one not so much, but we only tried it on the counter in the Apple Store. The one in Cupertino ;-)

wim

I’ve become a pretty good one-fingered hunt and peck-er. I cradle the iPad with my right hand under it tilting it to the angle I like, peck with my left index finger since I’m a southpaw. Feels funny when I’m tagging on my Mac using all my fingers. ;)

Betty

Archived