This plant looks like a tree or a shrub. It was taller than me.  Found in a public botanical park in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA.  I spent hours yesterday trying to track this down and can't find anything that comes close.  I thought maybe Oregon Grape, but the leaf margins are too smooth, the Grape is serrated.  

I doubt this is a native plant to Oklahoma since the whole object of this park is to have plants from anywhere that can fit into our weather constraints.

I sure wish you plant-knowledgable people could give me a direction to take.

I've exhausted the Oklahoma sites, I've dropped the image into a plant ID website, I've tried keywords like arching, berries, shrub, tree, and such.  As you see, the limbs aren't upright but are arching or fall in a downward way.

Betty

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24xmfrr5bm7jt46/_ALI1952.tif?dl=0

14 minutes ago, Southmind said:

Betty, I think it's Chinese Privet (Ligustrum sinense). 

lisi7939.jpg

Could be but the leaves in Betty's image look smaller in comparison to fruit bunches. Could be a derivative.

Allan

1 hour ago, Southmind said:

Betty, I think it's Chinese Privet (Ligustrum sinense). 

lisi7939.jpg

You know, I considered privet but couldn't find a picture as good as the one above.  Not sure how tall the Ligustrum sinense gets, but the one I photographed was pretty big.

I'm also looking at Ligustrum lucidum which does say it can get quite large.  

You gave me the direction I was looking for.  Thanks!  I would still enjoy a few others to chime in and confirm.  Plant ID is one of the most critical areas to get right.

I wish the park would label their plants.  Some years ago, they did.  Then they tore out a lot of stuff, planted other things, and ID has gone by the wayside except in the Iris Garden.  They also tore out the Abelia that always attracted dozens of butterflies and drew me there to shoot them.   They tore out the trumpet vine, too.  I would like to get someone by the neck and give him/her a good shake!  I think someone very pedestrian who could "manage" people took over, but didn't know a whit about nature.  Or really care.

Betty

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

There's Japanese privet, too. I'm confused.

Yes... but the shape of the leaves of Japanese version seems not rounded as the Chinese one.

Allan is right about the size,  but the size of the leaves of plants depends on climatic constraints so... :D

18 minutes ago, Southmind said:

Yes... but the shape of the leaves of Japanese version seems not rounded as the Chinese one.

Allan is right about the size,  but the size of the leaves of plants depends on climatic constraints so... :D

You are right about the leaves.

Also, I believe the leaf size depends on what stage of growth they’re in. I’ve noticed larger old growth leaves against smaller new growth on the same plant. The image above, the berries are ripe, the leaves old growth. 

My image, the berries are mostly green, just starting to turn, so the leaves would be younger. Does that make any sense at all? :lol:

Archived