Cecile Marion

Lens flare

Recommended Posts

I saw in the images sold in November thread that geogphotos and spacecadet had sold two very nice images, each containing lens flare. Congratulations to you both for your sales.

 

I have questions about uploading photos with lens flare. I’ve tossed a few images in past months because of flare. It never crossed my mind to upload them. I assumed they wouldn’t pass QC. I’m wondering if a lot of photographers upload photos of this type. If they’re otherwise pleasing, technically acceptable images, but have lens flare, would you recommend uploading? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I saw in the images sold in November thread that geogphotos and spacecadet had sold two very nice images, each containing lens flare. Congratulations to you both for your sales.

 

I have questions about uploading photos with lens flare. I’ve tossed a few images in past months because of flare. It never crossed my mind to upload them. I assumed they wouldn’t pass QC. I’m wondering if a lot of photographers upload photos of this type. If they’re otherwise pleasing, technically acceptable images, but have lens flare, would you recommend uploading? 

Yes. Sometimes it adds interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep also uploading lens flares, and also add lens flare to the keywords, some clients seem to be searching for this. 

 

searching for lens flare reveals more than 80.000 pictures on Alamy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hdh said:

yep also uploading lens flares, and also add lens flare to the keywords, some clients seem to be searching for this. 

 

searching for lens flare reveals more than 80.000 pictures on Alamy. 

Thanks for the tip.

With optics like mine I'd be down quite a few if I rejected for flare. Since I get quite a bit of it I'm making a feature of it now, trilby or no trilby. I have an EVF so I know exactly what it's going to look like.

It's not a QC consideration unless it veils the whole image and gives the impression of softness, but you're likely to toss an image that bad anyway.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

I saw in the images sold in November thread that geogphotos and spacecadet had sold two very nice images, each containing lens flare. Congratulations to you both for your sales.

 

I have questions about uploading photos with lens flare. I’ve tossed a few images in past months because of flare. It never crossed my mind to upload them. I assumed they wouldn’t pass QC. I’m wondering if a lot of photographers upload photos of this type. If they’re otherwise pleasing, technically acceptable images, but have lens flare, would you recommend uploading? 

 

There are a few similar to this image. I removed lens flare from some. On this one I decided to leave it as I just felt it worked, and it probably was going to be harder to remove than on the other ones purely down to the chance of where the flare fell right on the front of the boat. 

 

With this one into the sun it is hardly a surprise to the eye that there is flare and it goes with the image - bright winter sunshine and reflections. In other settings the flare would seem inappropriate.

 

As usual the answer is that it depends on the image

 

Ian

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting points! Thanks for the feedback. You have all given me plenty to consider. In the future, I’ll make sure to take a closer look at photos with lens flare before tossing them out, or maybe uploading. I had one from a shoot just yesterday that’s worth another look, I think. I haven’t had a QC fail since I joined Alamy in January, and tend to take advice I’ve learned here very literally. If I’ve had any reservations about a photo in the past, no matter how much I’ve liked the picture, It’s gone into the bin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

Very interesting points! Thanks for the feedback. You have all given me plenty to consider. In the future, I’ll make sure to take a closer look at photos with lens flare before tossing them out, or maybe uploading. I had one from a shoot just yesterday that’s worth another look, I think. I haven’t had a QC fail since I joined Alamy in January, and tend to take advice I’ve learned here very literally. If I’ve had any reservations about a photo in the past, no matter how much I’ve liked the picture, It’s gone into the bin. 

 

Maybe include the term 'lens flare' in the caption to show that it is intentional.  But as you know it has to work for that image - early morning, sunset, light flooding in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a great documentary on cinematography called Visions Of Light. There's a segment on Cool Hand Luke in the film and they were discussing a shot where the sun was flaring into the lens - obviously a creative decision. It was interesting to note that they mentioned that back in the 50s, if there was flare in the shot, they would have repositioned the camera to avoid it. How times change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now