I saw in the images sold in November thread that geogphotos and spacecadet had sold two very nice images, each containing lens flare. Congratulations to you both for your sales.

I have questions about uploading photos with lens flare. I’ve tossed a few images in past months because of flare. It never crossed my mind to upload them. I assumed they wouldn’t pass QC. I’m wondering if a lot of photographers upload photos of this type. If they’re otherwise pleasing, technically acceptable images, but have lens flare, would you recommend uploading? 

3 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I saw in the images sold in November thread that geogphotos and spacecadet had sold two very nice images, each containing lens flare. Congratulations to you both for your sales.

I have questions about uploading photos with lens flare. I’ve tossed a few images in past months because of flare. It never crossed my mind to upload them. I assumed they wouldn’t pass QC. I’m wondering if a lot of photographers upload photos of this type. If they’re otherwise pleasing, technically acceptable images, but have lens flare, would you recommend uploading? 

Yes. Sometimes it adds interest.

yep also uploading lens flares, and also add lens flare to the keywords, some clients seem to be searching for this. 

searching for lens flare reveals more than 80.000 pictures on Alamy. 

1 hour ago, hdh said:

yep also uploading lens flares, and also add lens flare to the keywords, some clients seem to be searching for this. 

searching for lens flare reveals more than 80.000 pictures on Alamy. 

Thanks for the tip.

With optics like mine I'd be down quite a few if I rejected for flare. Since I get quite a bit of it I'm making a feature of it now, trilby or no trilby. I have an EVF so I know exactly what it's going to look like.

It's not a QC consideration unless it veils the whole image and gives the impression of softness, but you're likely to toss an image that bad anyway.

Very interesting points! Thanks for the feedback. You have all given me plenty to consider. In the future, I’ll make sure to take a closer look at photos with lens flare before tossing them out, or maybe uploading. I had one from a shoot just yesterday that’s worth another look, I think. I haven’t had a QC fail since I joined Alamy in January, and tend to take advice I’ve learned here very literally. If I’ve had any reservations about a photo in the past, no matter how much I’ve liked the picture, It’s gone into the bin. 

There's a great documentary on cinematography called Visions Of Light. There's a segment on Cool Hand Luke in the film and they were discussing a shot where the sun was flaring into the lens - obviously a creative decision. It was interesting to note that they mentioned that back in the 50s, if there was flare in the shot, they would have repositioned the camera to avoid it. How times change.

Archived