Quality, noise, etc.

6 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

Hi @lisah2006, from this quote it sounds like you are shooting in jpeg mode.  If so, stop, and learn how to shoot in RAW (NEF).  The D750 has an incredible sensor in it and if exposed properly, an image shot at ISO 6400 would be acceptable here at lower resolution, say at 3000x2000 MP.  

I won't say all cameras, but most, internal noise reduction systems for jpeg output, is too harsh, leaving the image a little "mushy" at higher ISO values.  I owned the D750 for a short while and can attest to it's good sensor and processor but it's not the best for jpeg output.  

I have submitted images from a small Fuji crop sensor camera, X-E2, at ISO 6400 (shot in RAW) and they were accepted and sold!  Like I said previously, the ISO number is just that; a number.  If you are not shooting RAW, learn to shoot RAW.  I have shot Nikons my entire adult life, (now 65), and can tell you the current generation is quite good with digital noise, in RAW.  In my view, their jpeg output is only fair.

I use Lightroom CC Classic.  The current version does a very good job controlling digital noise, when needed.  It does take some time and experience to learn when to use it and how much to use but you'll figure it out. (Youtube is a great resource).

Now, if you are currently shooting RAW, all of what I've said is totally irrelevant.  :P  So if that's the case, ignore this.  LOL  But, keep reading the Forum.  These guys/gals know what they are doing.  Good luck!!

Rick

Great advice Rick. I had of course been assuming that the OP was shooting raw. I have never even shot a JPEG from my D750. Whatever about shooting JPEG at low ISO, it's an absolute nono at high ISO.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2017 at 20:59, Rick Lewis said:

Hi @lisah2006, from this quote it sounds like you are shooting in jpeg mode.  If so, stop, and learn how to shoot in RAW (NEF).  The D750 has an incredible sensor in it and if exposed properly, an image shot at ISO 6400 would be acceptable here at lower resolution, say at 3000x2000 MP.  

I won't say all cameras, but most, internal noise reduction systems for jpeg output, is too harsh, leaving the image a little "mushy" at higher ISO values.  I owned the D750 for a short while and can attest to it's good sensor and processor but it's not the best for jpeg output.  

I have submitted images from a small Fuji crop sensor camera, X-E2, at ISO 6400 (shot in RAW) and they were accepted and sold!  Like I said previously, the ISO number is just that; a number.  If you are not shooting RAW, learn to shoot RAW.  I have shot Nikons my entire adult life, (now 65), and can tell you the current generation is quite good with digital noise, in RAW.  In my view, their jpeg output is only fair.

I use Lightroom CC Classic.  The current version does a very good job controlling digital noise, when needed.  It does take some time and experience to learn when to use it and how much to use but you'll figure it out. (Youtube is a great resource).

Now, if you are currently shooting RAW, all of what I've said is totally irrelevant.  :P  So if that's the case, ignore this.  LOL  But, keep reading the Forum.  These guys/gals know what they are doing.  Good luck!!

Rick

Hey Rick!

Thanks, I am shooting RAW and have been for several years now. This just happened to be one shoot the grain looked pretty awful to me. I've taken the others advise and will be submitting them to Quality Control  soon to see what happens with them. Right now I'm working on some of the model releases. Thank you so much for the advice, though, because I totally agree with you! And I really appreciate having someone with your wisdom around to learn from!

Archived