JeffGreenberg

suggest travel tripod, will you...???

Recommended Posts

RX10-III vert-horiz time exposures dusk-night;

must include tripod head + base plate;

lightweight, willing to go carbon fiber;

at least 4 ft fully extended, 5 ft preferred;

small & narrow collasped to fit in carry-on

without much reduction in room for other stuff...

links appreciated -- thanks in advance!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As MariaJ says - definitely the Manfrotto Befree. I have the carbon fibre which is amazingly light (1.1 Kg) and well worth the extra money ($299 as against $154 for the aluminium). I've just checked and it's currently going at  £226 (£70 off normal price) with Wex here in England which is an excellent price. I would suggest getting the Manfrotto 496RC2 ball head (same quiick release plate) as well if you want to use it with a DSLR but the head it comes with would be fine for your stated use. I use it for landscapes with Nikon DSLR and lenses up to about 3 Kg in total. As long as it is not too windy, it's perfect. Saves my aching muscles (or my wife's when she accompanies me) a bit instead of carrying my regular Manfrotto 190 carbon fibre. It doesn't go all the way to the ground unfortunately but that probably won't worry you given unless you are taking up wild flower photography.

 

I also found this recent article on the Wex site about travel tripods
 

Edited by MDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sirui T-025X carbon Fibre tripod with C-10X ballhead. Well engineered, carbon fibre in its own soft case, fits a small backpack.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with MariaJ above re the Manfrotto - ideal for travel and very lightweight...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for responses!

Looking at this for $100 (2.3 lbs)

vs. $200 carbon fiber version (2 lbs)

(0.3 lbs insignificant...?)

its couple inches shorter collapsed in luggage

but 3 inches shorter extended vs. Manfrotto...?

Any significant reasons to pay 50% more for Mannie???

Thanks in advance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Thanks for responses!

Looking at this for $100 (2.3 lbs)

vs. $200 carbon fiber version (2 lbs)

(0.3 lbs insignificant...?)

its couple inches shorter collapsed in luggage

but 3 inches shorter extended vs. Manfrotto...?

Any significant reasons to pay 50% more for Mannie???

Thanks in advance...

 

Quality?

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Quality?

 

Allan

The quality is fine, but I would suggest a different ball head. If budget permits: the Really Right Stuff BH-25.

Otherwise see this thread.

I use my BH-25 with a narrower and lighter clamp though.

 

wim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Relatively low price,

monopod within,

significantly taller yet nearly as short,

center post reversible...

Got this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/322502156872

Jeff, that’s a great price. Hope it proves to be what you need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Hope all (4) twist locks per leg can be loosened with single hand grab!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2017 at 09:01, JeffGreenberg said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Hope all (4) twist locks per leg can be loosened with single hand grab!!!!!

 

Just wondering, are you happy with this tripod? Pros? Cons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.

All these taken with it...

Pro: was cheaper than similars, yet offered more than most

Con: got fingers pinched first couple times until acclimated...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Yes.

All these taken with it...

Pro: was cheaper than similars, yet offered more than most

Con: got fingers pinched first couple times until acclimated...

 

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear that it worked out. Looks as if you got a good deal.

 

Shall keep this one in mind. Ill make sure to carry Band-Aids if purchased.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for the Manfrotto Befree. I have the Carbon Fibre model & just got back from a trip to Edinburgh with it. Very good for mirrorless cameras with short lenses, but definitely would not use it with my Nikon FX. I used it with my Olympus OMD EM1.2.

 

Easy to carry & the carbon fibre made it easy to carry in the cold.

Edited by Orange Elephant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Orange Elephant said:

Another vote for the Manfrotto Befree. I have the Carbon Fibre model & just got back from a trip to Edinburgh with it. Very good for mirrorless cameras with short lenses, but definitely would not use it with my Nikon FX. I used it with my Olympus OMD EM1.2.

 

Easy to carry & the carbon fibre made it easy to carry in the cold.

 

Actually it's absolutely fine with a full frame Nikon and smallish prime lens with the slightly heavier ball head (496) as long as it's not too windy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now