geogphotos

FTP submissions merged for QC

I sent about 8 batches of images by FTP totally around 250 files. They were grouped so that I would be able to tag them together. One was of 20 pics of archaeology in Suffolk, another of a monastery in Spain, etc

But on arrival for QC they have been all merged together and in random order - for example, the 20 images of archaeology are spread throughout the mix making it hard to select them all for tagging.

Would it be possible for batches to stay as batches? How can this be avoided under the current system? Is the only way to wait until each batch is showing in QC and then send the next - doesn't seem very sensible if so.

Edited by geogphotos

Most likely this was because I sent them in rapid succession from Photoshelter and they all got merged in the ether.

If I had waited for one to finish before sending the next would they then be in separate QC subs at Alamy

It takes an hour or two for a sub sent by ftp from Photoshelter to show up in the Alamy QC list, so this seems to be the best way to submit in batches that you want to keep separate from each other. Wait for one to arrive and show in the QC queue then send the next. 

So assuming that my 250 submission passes QC, my plan is delete them all and replace with smaller batches so as to make Supertagging easy.

Have I missed something?

Edited by geogphotos

Did not realise. These 250 image have metadata, have passed QC, go straight on sale and can't be deleted for 180 days.

There is a problem here. Subs can't be deleted once in QC, and automatically go on sale with 180 deletion period once passed QC. 

The simplest solution for me is to send in duplicates in the batches that I want to be able to tag.

If I was able to re-order images that would solve the problem, but as it is they are all over the place.

Ian, for future reference, many FTP software packages have scheduling features that allow you to upload the groups separately over a period of time. Waiting may well be the easiest way, but you shouldn't have to sit there there the whole time.

Maybe I’m missing something, Ian, but using image manager, couldn’t you give a special tag to each photo in your different sub-groups, then search for the sub-groups separately once Alamy has updated? You could then work on each sub-group as a separate batch. Add super tags to each subgroup and then delete all the special tags (if necessary) once you’ve finished editing. 

19 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

Maybe I’m missing something, Ian, but using image manager, couldn’t you give a special tag to each photo in your different sub-groups, then search for the sub-groups separately once Alamy has updated? You could then work on each sub-group as a separate batch. Add super tags to each subgroup and then delete all the special tags (if necessary) once you’ve finished editing. 

Thanks for the suggestion but it is making me dizzy thinking about doing that for 250 pics! :wacko: 

If I could search just the new images that would help but is not possible.

I tell you what would solve the problem...being able to order the images by my own file reference or being able to delete images without having to wait 6 months.

• Upvote 1

Today I sent 28 images at the same time in the same ftp transfer from Photoshelter.

They have arrived at Alamy for QC in two batches, one of 18 images. one of 10. 

Is there any rhyme or reason to how ftp submission batches are dealt with by the Alamy ingestion process? 

If the batches are only up to 30 or so images, why not do the web upload instead and then you can also name the submission file.  Make it real easy to find.

Jill

1 minute ago, Jill Morgan said:

If the batches are only up to 30 or so images, why not do the web upload instead and then you can also name the submission file.  Make it real easy to find.

Jill

That would involve downloading files and uploading them again. Much easier too send by ftp from Photoshelter which is where I do my keywording, but trying to understand how batched arrive.

I want to be able to add Supertags to images by batch. Not sure why some ftp subs get merged and other split up :wacko:

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

That would involve downloading files and uploading them again. Much easier too send by ftp from Photoshelter which is where I do my keywording, but trying to understand how batched arrive.

I want to be able to add Supertags to images by batch. Not sure why some ftp subs get merged and other split up :wacko:

If you do your keywording in Photoshelter, then couldn't you simply search using a common keyword?

Jill

30 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

If you do your keywording in Photoshelter, then couldn't you simply search using a common keyword?

Jill

Yes I have been doing that. Good suggestion. But it often throws up old images when what I want to get at is the new ones.

I'm sure that there are work-arounds but I would like to understand how the system works,

Edit) Also only possible after database has refreshed not immediately after QC completion.

Edited by geogphotos

7 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes I have been doing that. Good suggestion. But it often throws up old images when what I want to get at is the new ones.

I'm sure that there are work-arounds but I would like to understand how the system works,

You can choose to search all items, tags, captions, location and supertags.  If the images you are looking for will have something similar in their caption, that may be the way to search, or location if you haven't shot there before.  It would be nice if we could search within a submission instead of all images.  Or a search would bring them up newest to oldest.  I get them scattered in no particular order when I do a search.

Hopefully over time Alamy will tweak the search feature in AIM to make it easier to find an image, or a batch of images.

Jill

35 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

You can choose to search all items, tags, captions, location and supertags.  If the images you are looking for will have something similar in their caption, that may be the way to search, or location if you haven't shot there before.  It would be nice if we could search within a submission instead of all images.  Or a search would bring them up newest to oldest.  I get them scattered in no particular order when I do a search.

Hopefully over time Alamy will tweak the search feature in AIM to make it easier to find an image, or a batch of images.

Jill

+1

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

There's something strange about searching All terms; Caption; Tags; Supertags; Location. (Why in this strange order?)

Only when I search in Caption it will give me a result that is in the order of my uploads, with last one first.

All the other terms will somehow sort it according to something else. Maybe the position of the keyword?

However also Location will not sort them last upload first.

If it's not just me, then one could search for a keyword in Caption to get latest upload on top.

wim

13 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

There's something strange about searching All terms; Caption; Tags; Supertags; Location. (Why in this strange order?)

Only when I search in Caption it will give me a result that is in the order of my uploads, with last one first.

All the other terms will somehow sort it according to something else. Maybe the position of the keyword?

However also Location will not sort them last upload first.

If it's not just me, then one could search for a keyword in Caption to get latest upload on top.

wim

I still get scattered results if I search keyword in the caption, but they seem scattered by submission.  I'll get all images grouped by submission, but in a scattered order.

Jill

4 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I still get scattered results if I search keyword in the caption, but they seem scattered by submission.  I'll get all images grouped by submission, but in a scattered order.

Jill

Curiouser and curiouser.

Still a good workaround if they do appear grouped as submission.

Maybe check if it still works when submissions are of the same date.

wim