Buying or Selling Used Gear

I want to share my recent experience of selling off 16 items of mostly Nikon digital equipment. 

A Forum friend in Yorkshire told me about a company called MPB.  https://www.mpb.com/en-us/  They have an office in the UK and one in New York City. 

If you're buying, they have prices on their site. If you're selling, they will give you an online offer with a probable price. They are setup to deal with things by using shipping companies. 

My dealings were in person, and they went very well. They paid quickly, they paid more than I was expecting, and they were very pleasant to deal with. If I should need to, I'll buy from them. 

Unfortunately, MPB does not deal with film cameras, so I've been looking around for someone else to buy that gear. I'll keep you all posted. 

Edo

I recently sold my Nikon gear (lenses) to "mpb" and they were very good. They quoted a price but because the lenses were like new I phoned them to ask for a better price. They re-quote with a new higher price which I accepted. They also paid the second quoted price in full.

During the transaction I was also buying a Sony lens from them at a good price and it is in excellent condition.

The only bug in the system was the courier company (DpD) failed to collect the goods I was selling on the due date and, because of circumstances, it was another week before they collected.

Allan

I recently sold most of my Canon lenses via MPB as I now live in Portugal and found it not quite so easy to sell my gear. So on a recent trip to the UK I took it all with me and sold to them, excellent customer service and payment, the whole process was super simple. I will definitely look to buy or sell through them again.

When I finally committed to Fuji I sold my extensive collection of pro Canon gear and other kit (> 40kg worth) via Ffordes, in Scotland, on commission. Seemed better than part-exchange or sale to a reseller but not quite as good as selling privately. But there was a lot of it, some quite old, so Ffordes managing the sale, making repairs, shipping, providing warranty and after sales service saved me a lot of hassle. I just packed it up , they arranged collection and then for several months I got new cash into my account almost every week. I did swap one Canon lens for a Fuji lens via the Facebook group I created.

I might have got more selling privately but it would have taken much longer, more hassle and some I would have struggled to sell, but Ffordes managed to sell it. I never bothered thinking about "what-if", just enjoyed the cash. I still have some money left to further extend my already comprehensive Fuji outfit when necessary.

They did take some very old film cameras including Canon FD, T90 and a very tatty Mamiya RB67SD. I still have a couple EOS-3s I will send them when I put the kits together.

I’ve bought a camera body and a few lenses and filters from MPB recently and been very happy with the service including how they handled a return. The UK base is in Brighton so I’ll be going to see the shop next time I’m down there.

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I've bought from MPB and was very happy with the service and product. They are my first port-of-call if i want a new lens or camera body.

Me too.  4 lenses and a 1.4x teleconverter to date, all exactly as described, all priced well, well boxed for delivery.

On 11/4/2017 at 19:33, losdemas said:

Anyone have experience with Camera Jungle (Jessops second-hand online division)? 

Never mind: just did a search of the forum and found the answer I was looking for ("yes").  Seems worth a punt.

Another reputable company to buy/sell/repair photo gear is KEH.com 

We've bought and sold gear thru them several times and have always been pleased.  They've even occasionally come to one of the larger local camera dealers to buy gear.

Their grading system for equipment we have found to be conservative - i.e what we purchased was at least the equivalent and usually better condition than their grade - YMMV.

I plan to try KEH with my film gear, Phil.  And there are a few others in the USA.  MPB is originally a UK operation. 

I was so sorry to hear about Sundays shootings.  I lived for almost 4 years in DFW and came to admire and like the people of Texas.  

I have used Wex to part-ex old for new with happy results. They offered me a price for my RX10 which I was happy with, then, when they received it they emailed back and told me they would give me more for it as it was in better condition than I had stated!

I wanted the rx10 to make the load lighter, but still found it quite bulky (not heavy), so I chose the RX 100 mk3 as a pocket camera. I still use my Canon 6d, but like to put the rx100 in my pocket for quick trips out.
Having said that, I would like the RX10Mk4 but can't justify the cost!

Ffordes are usually my first port of call if buying or selling, though I have bought from MPB too 

But I'd like to put in a good word for Carmarthen Cameras who I dealt with recently for a s/h Xt20 and found them very pleasant to do business with.

Geoff

Archived